Waters Blog Post Outing CTO | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Waters Blog Post Outing CTO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because my opinion bothers you.
Actually, your opinion doesn't bother me. Just wondering why you consider it a non-story. and, thank you for giving my comment a like.

I don't have anything against CTO. In fact, I LOVE CTO from having had the good fortune to meet / interact with her numerous times over the years.

She made a mistake, and like the true PR professional that she is, she moved swiftly to proactively correct the mistake publically and move past it. Waters's column was a big part of that process, helping to turn what is [for her] a public gaffe into a non-story without legs.

We should be thanking Mike for his story instead of criticizing him, because it helped one of our own.

I don't know in this particular instance. I think I may have just let 'sleeping dogs lie' here. Going to a mainstream medium and placing a name, face & soul to an otherwise anonymous 3 letter handle for about 99.9% of the internet universe, let alone the global world is, well, a horse of a different color.

That being said, I give her an immense amount of credit in her complete ownership and fearlessness in exposing herself to such a far greater extent.

hmm, yeah, and you get to make this post right now with impunity and if an opinion expressing the other side is posted... it's gone :noidea:
You don't think cto earned enough credit to make a couple bad posts on a Saturday night without being repeatedly blasted by power-trip fake outrage phonies?

I know it's impossible these days, but I always wished that the anonymity of posters would be respected.

When somebody posts a strong opinion I would hope that if they wish to remain anonymous that wish would be respected. Screen names are here for a reason.

I'm very disappointed that a very well respected member of this community was publicly outed. We all say things that we may regret.

Love ya CTO.

If anyone read the thread, they would have learned she is on the BoT and people call her by her first name. It's a simple google search (Syracuse Board of Trustees) and you get the complete name and then anything can be found.

Side note 1: There are 112 Trustees in some capacity (voting, life, honorary)! I had no idea it was that large.

Side note 2: I've always thought it weird that people mention people's real first names in threads. If that was desired, why do we have handles/avatars?

Your note 2 point is very good. Posts on this site are not a press release for Syracuse University. CTO is handle for an online personality. CTO is a fan. When CTO is posting here it is not as a trustee or spokesperson for the University. I hate the idea that people do not have some anonymity when it comes to an online presence. I like hearing what people have to say without social restraint.

That said, when I read the CTO post I just said to myself I'm not touching that. Instead I just posted something about how Fab was good at taking a charge. I feel bad for CTO because I'm sure she regrets the post. I can't count how many times I've said something stupid.

Even though I hate the story and wish Mike never posted it, I can see that on its surface it is news.

What I think is amazing is just the idea that any post on this site could become a news story! It may be the first one ever!

Didn't that thread about the Indiana fan in her underwear at the Dome go viral a few years ago as well? It seems clear that this site gets a good deal of traffic from more than just the average fan.

The picture went viral.

I know this isn't on the same level but I had a few talkings to over things that I was discussing on here while at SU. Different situation obviously as they were signing my check but I understand now how things I had said could've looked like an 'official' voice for SU even if I was just trying to help out and make fans lives a little easier.

I don't know in this particular instance. I think I may have just let 'sleeping dogs lie' here. Going to a mainstream medium and placing a name, face & soul to an otherwise anonymous 3 letter handle for about 99.9% of the internet universe, let alone the global world is, well, a horse of a different color.

That being said, I give her an immense amount of credit in her complete ownership and fearlessness in exposing herself to such a far greater extent.

No, it had already been plastered over national media. The cat was already out of the bag. So her choices were to ignore it, defend her position, or make it go away. She wisely chose the latter.

That's why for me it was equally disparaging to see how many of us continued to pile on cto page after page. She was called out sternly and swiftly. We should have gotten right back to celebrating Fab. But the board took on a mob mentality and it was like a competition to see who could dole out the strongest reprimand. Even a few posters namely Llandz and OrangeDW tried to get us back on track but I guess we couldn't let it go. It seems no different than the outrage in the .com comment section. (Unfortunately, ctos apology attempt made it worse)

Anywho, I guess my point is that we inundated that thread with outrage and drama and helped make that the story on a day we should have been celebrating Fab. Ironically, that was the moral undertone of the admonishment directed at cto.

Thank you for recognizing my effort. I could have said a whole lot more that night, and I could now. Anyone who knows CTO may understand some of the emotions that were behind that statement. It was rash, and played on some emotions and loyalty she has to the program and members of the program, and her love of the program. But I figured the best thing to do was not to try to explain it or where it came from, but I just simply tried to get the conversation back to Fab, and to say enough piling on CTO as she probably will come to regret her statement, which she did. Piling on accomplished nothing. It was stupid, and as many pointed out a mob mentality. Plus it was more of a slap to the memory of Fab as we should have been talking about that. I just was not able to stop it. I should probably have contacted one of the admins who would have come on and handled it with removing posts, and I almost did that.

I do have the HONOR of knowing CTO. And she BETTER be back here soon. And if, and when she does come back, everyone better lay off of this. There is no one who loves this team and Syracuse more than she does. If you do not know this, than you will just have to TRUST us who do know it.

So please, be back very, very soon.

So a Nunes writer outed her. What a joke. The kid did it for personal gain. No need to tip off that partisan site Deadspin.

I am mad the poster didn't get a shame thread and just got off with a ban. He took down a good poster for nothing but gain click shame for a terrible website.

So a Nunes writer outed her. What a joke. The kid did it for personal gain. No need to tip off that partisan site Deadspin.

I am mad the poster didn't get a shame thread and just got off with a ban. He took down a good poster for nothing but gain click shame for a terrible website.
Its not a writer. The way the Nunes site is set up a "fanpost" comes across looking like an article.
I wouldn't have outed CTO but apparently Dominic Wood.

Well the comments section on Nunes basically outed the poster from here who did it.
I won't post it but the guy got off easy IMO.

I know what I'd do if I caught my Aunt lighting one up and scolding ain't it.

Hey, Aunt Maggie, why are you bogarting that? :p

Well the comments section on Nunes basically outed the poster from here who did it.
I won't post it but the guy got off easy IMO.

Link?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors