Waters Blog Post Outing CTO | Syracusefan.com

Waters Blog Post Outing CTO

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfister1

2023-24 Iggy Winner ACC & OOC Record
Is anyone else here disturbed by the Mike Waters blog post last night outing CTO and airing the whole FAB Melo comments thread? I know I am!

It truly makes me think twice about posting opinions here. This has always seemed to me to be a relatively safe place to come and express opinions; some smart, others not so smart, without having to worry that something dumb you might say might be associated with your identity and broadcast more broadly then the thread you posted in. I understand that my belief may have been a bit naive in that this is an open forum and is actually on the Internet, but it has always seemed like a relatively closed community despite being open.

For many of us who don't live in Syracuse or in close proximity to other Syracuse fans, this is the only place we can share in discussion with other SU fans about the program we love. We don't necessarily share the same values, politics, or opinions, but most of us share a love of SU Athletics. In a lot of ways its a bit like a family.

I really dislike the fact that Mike Waters would take a generic opinion posted here, regardless of who posted it, and run with it as though it were news. Why, in what world is that news? Whether CTO is embarassed by her original opinions or still holds them, I can only assume that having that opinion and the debate it set off vetted publicly is relatively embarassing to her. I know it would be to me. I guess it is something that I might not have been as disturbed by if it had come from someone who hasn't been here among us and been a part of this family.

That blog post has really made me feel entirely different about coming here.

I respect CTO for standing up for what she believed in (even though we may have disagreed with her stance, we must remember that everybody has an opinion). But we always remember that once something is posted and it's out in the public, it's out there forever.

I'm extremely careful with social media now. Back when I was in college, I had received an internship offer from an NFL that I accepted. Another team offered me a position as well, but I had posted something on Twitter before letting this second NFL team know I had taken another offer. When I reached out to that team telling them I declined their offer, the hiring manager replied back saying they saw my Tweet a few days prior and hired another candidate and hoped that my next decision I would handle more professionally. Since then, I ALWAYS watch what I say because I know people are watching.

She made a mistake and apologized end of story. Syracuse.com is click baiting this site for clicks.

The story is nothing but the editors wanted it or Waters wanted it. With the 24 hour news cycle the beasts feed on everything. It's a joke.

If an opinion offends anyone it's attacked. I feel bad for the poster as her known status affected her in the media which is a joke.

There was a Deadspin article about it as well a few days ago.
That's right. The story, with screenshots, has been out there on various websites for several days; Mike seemed to be reporting the apology.

This should be a cautionary tale for all of us about the power of social media.

Since the day I found this site, many moons ago, it's always been like, idk, a safe haven. A place that no matter how in real life was going, I always had my cusefan.com family to shoot the with. When my dog was sick, I came here, and we correctly diagnosed him. Whenever I need a new phone, you guys help me pick a good one. We've kept peoples family, their kids, in our thoughts in prayers when we've found out their sick. We've mourned the loss of posters together. I've shared my name, location, pictures, with everyone here. Because that's the type of group we were.. A close one. A family. That all changed this weekend.

An old Army Sgt of mine always used to preach "Family polices family". All the posts after the first post in question, the outrage.. is something that I totally expect on this board. And that's OK.

Taking screenshots, and sending them to freaking deadspin, attaching someones real name to their screen name, to people outside of the family.. Ridiculous.

You caught your Aunt smoking a joint in the back yard, and instead of joining the rest of the family in scolding her, you brought the police to the house.

I'll still pop around, because I get pretty bored.. But damn... this place.

I completely agree. Mike Waters was one of the only people at that no account paper I thought had some level of professionalism and intelligence. Turns out I was wrong. I appreciate you posting this as I didn't notice the Waters piece and say the deadspin thing and wondered how they got it. It kind of makes sense as it seems like Waters stories at times mirror comments made by people here so he is propbably a lurker who takes things discussed to put some of his stories together. The thing about the article that pisses me off the most is it purposely makes cto look like some wealthy plutocrat who has no heart or sense of right and wrong. What could be further from the truth with all of the time and money she donates. No mention of the GE Foundation, how convenient. Whatever I don't even know her personally but know enough to know she is one of the kind hearted good people in this world.

For many of us who don't live in Syracuse or in close proximity to other Syracuse fans, this is the only place we can share in discussion with other SU fans about the program we love. We don't necessarily share the same values, politics, or opinions, but most of us share a love of SU Athletics. In a lot of ways its a bit like a family.
True enough.
But it's a reminder that ANYTHING ANYONE posts online is subject to being repeated, analyzed and used in other media.
It's just like speaking on TV or the radio.
The only way to protect yourself is to never say anything you wouldn't want to see repeated elsewhere with your name and photo attached to it.
Even among friends.

Since the day I found this site, many moons ago, it's always been like, idk, a safe haven. A place that no matter how in real life was going, I always had my cusefan.com family to shoot the with. When my dog was sick, I came here, and we correctly diagnosed him. Whenever I need a new phone, you guys help me pick a good one. We've kept peoples family, their kids, in our thoughts in prayers when we've found out their sick. We've mourned the loss of posters together. I've shared my name, location, pictures, with everyone here. Because that's the type of group we were.. A close one. A family. That all changed this weekend.

An old Army Sgt of mine always used to preach "Family polices family". All the posts after the first post in question, the outrage.. is something that I totally expect on this board. And that's OK.

Taking screenshots, and sending them to freaking deadspin, attaching someones real name to their screen name, to people outside of the family.. Ridiculous.

You caught your Aunt smoking a joint in the back yard, and instead of joining the rest of the family in scolding her, you brought the police to the house.

I'll still pop around, because I get pretty bored.. But damn... this place.

Do we know for a fact that it was a Syracusefan poster who told Waters and not a fan of another team?

That's right. The story, with screenshots, has been out there on various websites for several days; Mike seemed to be reporting the apology.

This should be a cautionary tale for all of us about the power of social media.

That was my impression as well. I saw the story picked up on numerous blogs and thought Waters was giving her a platform to apologize.

I also was on Facebook posting what a good person she was last night because people are commenting about her in the most disgusting ways on articles about this.

Guys this board is public and opinions get carried why do people think the pay side is a joke and people won't post real things here and rather do it through pm.
The whole point shaving thing with scoop a few years ago was someone who heard it at a bar and it got national attention. Or the thing with the kid from Liverpool I can't remember that whole thing but his got a lot of attention.
People use this board and information spreads.
This is the Internet what you post doesn't disappear it lingers.

Just points out to be careful what you post, there's always someone watching.
And probably some pissed off posters as well.

The difference is, this isn't the backyard. It's a public forum which can be read by anyone on Earth.

I guess that raises a question: does it have to be a public forum? is for ad revenue? can we require everyone to login/register in order to read?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom