Way Too Early - 2014 Opponents - Maryland | Syracusefan.com

Way Too Early - 2014 Opponents - Maryland

Crusty

Living Legend
While I wait for us to win the BB NC, to pass the time, I decided to take a look at our 2014 football opponents. Please add any corrections or comments you may have.

Maryland Terps (7-6) (3-5)
After blowing out FIU, Old Dominion, UConn and strangely hapless West Virginia, the Terps came crashing back to earth. They managed to stumble to a 2013 record of 7-6 record – 3-5 in conference. Plagued with injuries for a second season in a row, the Terps scored an average of 26.2 PPG but only 20.1 in ACC games. The Maryland defense was even worse giving up over 30 points per conference game. In brief, they were worse than SU on offense and far worse on defense.

This was a disciplined bunch of turtles with the second fewest penalties in conference play. However, their ball security was another matter as they had the worst TO margin in the league with -11 or -1.38 per game.

The Terps are a young team and they return 17 starters, nine on defense and 8 on offense. Look for them to be substantially improved next year. While they might have a rude awakening in the B1G, chances are they will be healthy when they play us in the third game of the year. This looks to be a tougher game than this year’s 20-3 victory. They will play the James Madison Dukes, South Florida Bulls and West Virginia Mountaineers before they tangle with us in the Dome.

Offense (Pro-set)
Maryland should improve considerably on offense as they have 8 starters returning, including most of their OLine. They have two talented receivers, a promising sophomore running back and a backup quarterback that saw considerable action in 2013. The Terps could be explosive at times as they had 37 passing plays of 20+ yards versus conference opponents, more than everyone except FSU and Clemson.

QB
Starter C. J Browne has graduated. Returning will be Caleb Rowe, a 6’ 2” 195 pound sophomore backup played in 6 games last year 63/130 for a 48.5% completion rate for 984 yards (7.6 YPA). He threw for 5 touchdowns and 3 interceptions. His passing efficiency rating was 120.11. He will compete with William Ulmer, incoming 3 star recruit from DC and 3 star RSF Shane Cockerille.

OLine
Maryland’s OLine will return starting tackles, a guard and center.

WR/TE
Six receivers that caught passes last year will return including on junior, 3 sophomores and 2 freshmen. Levern Davis and Stefon Diggs, both sophomores were the leading receivers with 47 and 34 receptions, respectively. Diggs was injured and only played in 7 games. If healthy, this group could improve substantially next year.

RB
Leading rusher sophomore Brandon Ross will return next year. Ross, 5’10” 205 pounds, played in 12 games and had 166 carries for 766 yards (4.67 avg.) and 4 touchdowns. Thus far, the Terps have no RB commits for this year’s class.

Defense (3-4)
Nine starters return on defense. Maryland was middle of the pack on passing defense vs. ACC competitors and weak against the run finishing 11th. The turtles gave up 42 plays from LOS of 20+ yards vs. conference foes – 11th most out of 14 ACC teams. Only Virginia and NC State gave up more long rushing plays. They didn't do much better stopping explosive passing plays yielding 43 for 10th place in the ACC.

DLine
All three front line starters return.

LB’s
Maryland plays a 3-4 and they will lose two of their starting linebackers. However, two seasoned backups will step in so the loss should not be too great.

CB’s
Corner could be a concern as two of the top 4 corners graduated.

Safety
Both sophomore safeties return next year.

Last edited:
Nice job, Crusty. Now I want to hear about 'Nova and Duke--two unknowns going into next season.

Nice job, Crusty. Now I want to hear about 'Nova and Duke--two unknowns going into next season.

Duke is really interesting - they return everybody except one starter! But they don't play any D.

Crusty, maybe it was oversight, but one would be remiss to overlook the return of RB Wes Johnson after being suspended from the team for the season. He was a highly ranked recruit and had some good numbers as a frosh. Now there is no guarantee that he's not going to pull another boneheaded move in the off season, but as of right now, he's back. That will make 3 explosive playmakers on offense that we didn't face, enough to give me pause about overlooking or penciling in a win.

Crusty, maybe it was oversight, but one would be remiss to overlook the return of RB Wes Johnson after being suspended from the team for the season. He was a highly ranked recruit and had some good numbers as a frosh. Now there is no guarantee that he's not going to pull another boneheaded move in the off season, but as of right now, he's back. That will make 3 explosive playmakers on offense that we didn't face, enough to give me pause about overlooking or penciling in a win.

Thanks, I can't find him back on the roster yet. We'll have to keep an eye out for confirmation. He was charged with 2nd Degree assault of a police officer (nice!) when he the officer tried to question him in a non-fatal shooting of a girl. Pretty serious stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom