WBB ACC - B1G Challenge SU 61 vs PSU 39 12/4/14 7:00 @Cuse | Syracusefan.com

WBB ACC - B1G Challenge SU 61 vs PSU 39 12/4/14 7:00 @Cuse

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
ACC WomensBasketball ‏@accwbb 16m
Happy #WACCB1G Challenge! All you need to know is in this sweet little infographic

B37559fCYAEO690.jpg

Women's Basketball | 12/2/2014 1:26:00 PM |
Women's Basketball No. 21/22 in Latest Polls
Second-highest ranking in AP Poll history
SYRACUSE, N.Y. – The Syracuse University women's basketball team moved up one spot in the Associated Press Poll from last week and held its spot in the USA Today Coaches Poll in the most recent national poll releases. Syracuse ranks No. 21 in the country in the AP Poll, while it ranks No. 22 in the coaches' rankings.

Checking in at No. 21 in the latest AP Poll, the Orange is one spot shy of matching its highest rank in program history in the respective rankings. Syracuse was ranked No. 20 in the AP Poll for two straight weeks during the 2013-14 season.

The team is coming off a 94-63 dismantling of Vermont on Monday night in the Carrier Dome. Six players scored in double-figures for the Orange. It marked the first time it happened since seven different Orange scored in double-figures against Lafayette on Dec. 4, 1998.

Syracuse and Penn State meet on Thursday night in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. The game is slated to begin at 7 p.m. in the Carrier Dome.

Josh Hyber ‏@JoshHyber 6m6 minutes ago
Syracuse plays Penn St. tonight at 7 p.m. in the Dome. Here's some pregame reading from @pschweds on Alexis Peterson: http://dailyorange.com/2014/12/peterson-thrives-in-new-starting-role-for-syracuse-after-playing-sparsely-last-year/…

Peterson thrives in new starting role for Syracuse after playing sparsely last year
120414_S_WBBadvance_LarryE.ReidJr_CP.jpg

Larry E. Reid Jr. / Contributing Photographer
Alexis Peterson has had a breakout first six games for Syracuse after coming off the bench behind Rachel Coffey last season.
By Paul SchwedelsonStaff Writer
9 hours ago

When Vermont gained its only lead of the game against Syracuse on Monday night with 12:42 left in the first half, point guard Alexis Peterson answered by hitting a 15-foot pull-up jumper on the next possession.
Five minutes into the second half, Peterson had a steal and finished on the other end. On Vermont’s next trip down the court, Peterson stole the ball again and passed it to Cornelia Fondren for an easy basket in transition, which was part of a 20-0 Orange run that broke the game open in the 94-63 SU win.
When the Orange has needed big plays this season, the sophomore point guard has provided them.
“The key for me is to stay confident, stay poised,” Peterson said.
As a freshman last season, Peterson started just one game and came off the bench behind senior point guard Rachel Coffey. With Coffey now graduated, Peterson is averaging 33 minutes per game, shooting 51 percent from the field and has scored double-figures in all but one game this year. She’ll be counted on again on Thursday when the No. 21 Orange (5-1) faces the defending Big Ten champions Penn State (1-5) at 7 p.m. in the Carrier Dome.
At the beginning of last season, Peterson only received minutes at the end of blowouts. But throughout the year, her role increased because her play improved. And now with Coffey gone, Peterson is the go-to point guard.
“She’s attacking in transition,” SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said. “She’s really playing at the rim and she’s really pushing tempo and obviously if she’s pushing the ball down the floor, the opponent starts to break down.”
In just her second collegiate start, Peterson set a new career-high with 19 points in the season-opener against Fordham. Two weeks later, she dropped 19 points again, this time versus East Carolina. Against No. 1 South Carolina, Peterson played all 40 minutes without subbing out once.
She’s been asked to take on more than ever before.
“Her job is hard,” Hillsman said. “We ask her to push the ball every possession down the floor and she’s doing that at a tremendous rate for us.”
Peterson was the third-string point guard in 2013–14 behind Coffey and then-sophomore Cornelia Fondren. Peterson has taken the reigns at the point, but Fondren has also started all six games at shooting guard.
The pairing has created a dangerous mix and Peterson’s emergence has given Hillsman more options with the guards in his lineup.
“She’s focused and now that she’s had to play this big role, she’s stepped up a lot,” Fondren said. “She’s remained level-headed and that’s where I think I’m proud of her the most. She’s staying humble, she’s doing what she’s supposed to do.”
While Peterson is having a breakout season, she recognizes how important last year was to her development.
Last year, Peterson averaged 12.3 minutes and just three points per game. Now, she is leading the team in scoring average with 14.2 points per game.
“I think I’ve learned that one, you must wait your turn,” Peterson said. “You’re not given an opportunity right away. And secondly, you have to be ready to seize the moment.”

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 18m18 minutes ago
20 minutes until tip here at the Dome. Your Orange starters are: Peterson, Slim, Fondren, Brianna Butler and Briana Day.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 4m4 minutes ago
Syracuse wins the tip and we're underway.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 4m4 minutes ago
Day hauls in an offensive board and gets fouled going up with it. She sinks em both and it's 2-0 Syracuse.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 2m2 minutes ago
Butler hits a three and Day hits her first field goal on back-to-back possessions. 7-4 'Cuse 17 minutes to go in the half.

Josh Hyber ‏@JoshHyber 19s20 seconds ago
At the first media timeout, No. 21 Syracuse leads Penn St., 7-6. Briana Day with 4 points. Brianna Butler with three.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 12m12 minutes ago
Ford drills a three from the corner. Orange 2-of-7 from behind the arc early on. 10-6 Orange.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 11m11 minutes ago
Degraaf hits a three to give the Nittany Lions their first lead but Butler has her answer. 13-11 'Cuse 13:22 left in the half.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 10m10 minutes ago
Penn State playing a 2-3 zone. Syracuse has taken 12 threes over it thus far.

Josh Hyber ‏@JoshHyber 8m8 minutes ago
At the second media timeout, No. 21 Syracuse WBB leads Penn St., 13-11. SU is 3-11 on 3 pointers.

Syracuse Athletics ‏@Cuse 8m8 minutes ago
Under-12 TO: @CuseWBB leading PSU 13-11. Orange shooting just 2-of-12 from behind the arc but managing to keep the lead.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 5m5 minutes ago
Fondren finds her way to the rack and gets hacked along the way. 2 shots for her. She sinks them both. 17-13 Orange 9:35 to go in the half.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 3m3 minutes ago
Orange come out of a PSU TO in a flu court press. Fondren immediately picks up a steal and bucket.

Syracuse Athletics ‏@Cuse 2m2 minutes ago
Under-8 Media TO: @CuseWBB leading Penn STate 21-15. Briana Day leading the way with 8 pts and 4 boards. She has 2 FTs upcoming as well.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 1m1 minute ago
Day buries both FTs and she's in double figures for the fourth time this season.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 37s38 seconds ago
Briana Day is taking over. She gets fouled on a layup, sinks the FT and has 13 points.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB now
Butler for three! Syracuse with its largest lead at 29-15 with six minutes to go in the 1st.

Josh Hyber ‏@JoshHyber 15s15 seconds ago
At halftime: Syracuse leads Penn St., 35-19. Center Briana Day leads the Orange with 13 points and 5 rebounds.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 15s15 seconds ago
2nd half underway and Peterson starts the Orange right where it left off with a jumper in transition. Syracuse comes out in the press again.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 11s11 seconds ago
Day with the block and then a layup in transition. 'Cuse by 20 (41-21) with 17:17 to play.

Josh Hyber ‏@JoshHyber 12s13 seconds ago
Briana Day has 15 points, 5 rebounds and 5 blocks. She's emerging as a star on this team. Syracuse leads 41-21.

Syracuse Athletics ‏@Cuse 2m2 minutes ago
Under-16 Media TO: @CuseWBB up 41-23. Briana Day filling the stat sheet with 15 pts, 8 rebs, 5 blks, 2 steals. 15:41 to play.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 23s24 seconds ago
Keke Sevillian hits a 3 for PSU but Morrison answers on the following possession for 'Cuse to keep the lead at 18.

Brian Higgins ‏@BrianHigginsSU 23s24 seconds ago
Orange up 20. @CuseWBB leads Penn State 47-27 with 11:45 remaining. Briana Day: 15pts, 9reb, 5blk

Syracuse Athletics ‏@Cuse 9s10 seconds ago
Under-12 TO: @CuseWBB leading the Nittany Lions 47-27. 10 different players have scored for the Orange, tying a season high.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 1m1 minute ago
Briana Day hauls in her 10th rebound. That's now four double-doubles for her this year including three in the last four games.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 32s32 seconds ago
Spann hits a 3 for Penn State -- she has eight straight as part of an 11-0 run to pull the Nittany Lions within 14. 6:55 to play 49-35 'Cuse

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 41m41 minutes ago
Fondren puts an end to the run with the hoop and the harm. Misses the FT though. Fondren has 8 pts to go with 5 ast & a career high 10 rebs

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 40m40 minutes ago
Fondren sinks both FT attempts to complete her first career double-double.

Josh Hyber ‏@JoshHyber 40m40 minutes ago
Syracuse has a *comfortable* lead at 53-37. Cornelia Fondren (@OKCornelia) has 10 points and 10 rebounds.

SU Women's Hoops ‏@CuseWBB 39m39 minutes ago
Day and Fondren's double doubles are the first teammates w/ them since Sykes and Butler did it against Chattanooga March 22 of last year.

Syracuse Athletics ‏@Cuse 35m35 minutes ago
Under-4 TO: @CuseWBB up big on Penn State, 56-39. Day (15 and 11) and Fondren (10 and 10) each with double doubles.

Josh Hyber ‏@JoshHyber 30m30 minutes ago
Final score at the Carrier Dome: Syracuse 61, Penn St. 39. Briana Day finishes with 15 points, 13 rebounds and 6 blocks.

http://dailyorange.com/2014/12/day-leads-syracuse-to-61-39-win-over-penn-state-with-double-double/

Day leads Syracuse to 61-39 win over Penn State with double-double

120414_S_WBBPenn2_LoganReidsma_SP.jpg

Logan Reidsma | Staff Photographer
Syracuse sophomore Briana Day looks to attack the basket as Penn State forward Peyton Whitted defends.
By Sam BlumAsst. Copy Editor
8 hours ago

With the clock running down late in the second half and Syracuse leading by 17, Briana Day skied to her right to grab an offensive rebound that looked like it rightfully belonged to Penn State’s Candice Agee.
But Day forced the jump ball, and even after the whistle had been called the two fought to swipe away possession. SU’s forward came out of the scrum with her hair messed up and let out a frustrated exhale. The score was already out of hand, but the rebound further put Day’s stamp on the game.
“Just playing hard, just having will,” Day said. “It’s who wants it more, and that’s what I had to do, doing what I can for my team.”
Day had statistically the best game of her career on Thursday, scoring 15 points and hauling in 13 rebounds while adding six blocks and three steals. And it was her execution that gave the No. 21 Orange (6-1) separation in its 61-39 win over the Nittany Lions (1-6) in the Carrier Dome as part of the Atlantic Coast Conference-Big Ten Challenge.
Day dominated the inside post over Agee, although the PSU center had two inches and a couple pounds over the lanky SU sophomore.
“She’s a really quick leaper and her second and third jump is really fast,” PSU head coach Coquese Washington said of Day. “If you’re a quick leaper and you got good anticipation skills, you’re a fantastic rebounder.”
Day’s success this season has been a combination of precise positioning in the paint and sheer willpower on the glass.
But with Syracuse leading by two with 9:08 left in the first half and shooting just 5-of-22 from the field, she didn’t need any of that. Cornelia Fondren brought the ball up the court and found a cutting and uncontested Day who laid the shot in with ease.
Two possessions later, she grabbed a weak-side defensive board out of Agee’s hands. After an offensive rebound and two free throws, Day’s and-one layup right after stretched the lead to 11, and Penn State wouldn’t get within 10 the rest of the game.
“She was great,” SU head coach Quentin Hillsman said. “Briana Day has been awesome. She’s just really been fighting. Every rebound, every possession she’s battling for position. Every catch she’s trying to read the play.”
Day said her success on the glass and in the paint is a product of her effort.
On a night when Syracuse shot just 7-of-40 from the 3-point line, it was on Day to pick up the scoring load. Hillsman said her skill set isn’t up to par with the expectations that have been placed on her. She’s been expected to play at the elbow and the short corner, even though those aren’t yet part of her still-developing game.
Hillsman said she gets the brunt of his anger. When she ran off the court, he admitted to being hard on her. Sometimes she did something wrong, sometimes she was just the first person he saw.
On Thursday, she wasn’t spared from his intense personality. But his frustration was only a subset of the respect that he had for her performance against Penn State.
“I have to get the rebound,” Day said. “I know I’m undersized in the post, but I can’t let that not let me play hard.”

http://dailyorange.com/2014/12/syra...3-point-range-butler-goes-4-for-19-from-deep/

Syracuse struggles mightily from 3-point range, Butler goes 4-for-19 from deep

120414_S_WBBPenn_LoganReidsma_SP.jpg

Logan Reidsma / Staff Photographer
Brianna Butler releases a 3 from the right corner. She only shot 4-of-19 from 3, and was part of an abysmal 18-percent effort from deep for SU.
By Josh HyberStaff Writer
8 hours ago
Syracuse players rose from the bench time and time again in anticipation of a made 3-pointer. After attempts repeatedly clanked off the backboard, rimmed out or missed the hoop altogether, the group sat back down in disappointment.
Brianna Butler’s signature step-backs weren’t falling. An Isabella Slim right-corner 3 fell well short of the basket. In total, SU missed 33-of-40 shots from beyond the arc.
But despite the poor outside shooting, the No. 21 Orange (6-1) cruised to a 61-39 victory over Penn State (1-6) as part of the Atlantic Coast Conference-Big Ten Challenge in the Carrier Dome on Thursday night. Butler was the team’s second-leading scorer with 14 points, but finished 4-of-19 from beyond the arc and was at the forefront of a group of 3-point shooters that struggled against the Nittany Lions.
“We actually should have taken like 55 3s,” Syracuse head coach Quentin Hillsman said. “I thought that Brianna Butler passed up about 10 3s. She should have taken 30 of them.
“I know it sounds crazy, but I’m being really serious.”
With 8:12 left in the first half and the Orange leading 21-15, Diamond Henderson rose up for a 3 opposite the SU bench. Syracuse’s injured guard Brittney Sykes stood and yelled, “Give me one! Give me one!”
The shot missed.
Two minutes later, Butler attempted a 3 from the left wing. The entire Syracuse bench rose again in unison, but the shot back-rimmed. Less than a minute later, the small forward missed another 3.
“It can be (discouraging) when you’re not seeing the ball go through the net,” Butler said. “But you’ve just got to continue to be positive. And Coach is always telling me to shoot the ball more, and so are my teammates.”
It wasn’t only Butler, though, that was struggling from deep, as Slim hasn’t exactly lived up to what Hillsman expects of her in a starting role. The head coach said Wednesday that Slim is in the starting five because she’s an immediate threat from deep. But only one time this season has she made a 3-point shot before being subbed out.
On Thursday, she missed a 3-pointer at just more than two minutes in, committed a defensive foul on the ensuing possession and was replaced 22 seconds later by Taylor Ford. SU was getting plentiful looks from long range because of the openings in the Nittany Lions defense, but they just weren’t falling.
“I think our shots from beyond the arc were more coming because we were open,” guard Maggie Morrison said. “Getting shots against a zone, especially 3s, is part of our offense.”
Morrison shot 1-of-5 from deep range — her only make coming on a wild shot that bounced on the top of the backboard before falling through to give the Orange a 44-26 lead six minutes into the second half.
Despite shooting 17.5 percent from deep, Syracuse wasn’t discouraged from shooting more.
“Most of my shots tonight were short,” Morrison said. “But like Bri said, Coach is saying keep shooting them, keep taking them, and it’s nice to Briana (Day) under the basket picking up rebounds and having our backs.”
Toward the end of regulation, SU ditched its up-tempo offense and tried to work out of a set offense. With three minutes to go, SU point guard Alexis Peterson dribbled down the shot clock and fed Butler, who missed another 3.
On the next possession, Peterson found Slim, who had an open 3 on the left wing. Hillsman yelled at her twice to “Shoot the ball”, but Slim instead threw a cross-court pass to Butler, who air-balled a 3 as the shot clock expired.
Luckily for the Orange, it gathered 19 offensive rebounds. The team also converted 10-of-12 free-throws, easing away an otherwise poor shooting performance.
Said Hillsman: “Obviously you don’t want to be 7-of-40 from beyond the arc, but honestly I think we probably passed up 10 or 15 shots beyond the arc that were wide open.”

3-point shooting woes - it's an epidemic up on the Hill!