We’re just unlucky too | Syracusefan.com

We’re just unlucky too

People may say I’m crazy but Baylor 1/10 today from 3 and have had some open looks. Teams were extra lucky vs us this year too. It happens. UConn even went Bizerk vs is

Baylor is getting similar looks against Gonzaga as they got against us and just and missing badly. I still think our game would have turned out much differently had they not banked in 2 early against us.

Baylor is getting similar looks against Gonzaga as they got against just and missing badly. I still think our game would have turned out much differently had they not banked in 2 early against us.

C'mon.

How many teams put up ridiculous perimeter shooting performances against us this year??

Player after player getting career highs...

If it was an one off anomaly freak performance ok, but it happened way too often.

It was not a coincidence.

C'mon.

How many teams put up ridiculous perimeter shooting performances against us this year??

Player after player getting career highs...

If it was an one off anomaly freak performance ok, but it happened way too often.

It was not a coincidence.

How many? I remember 2.

Not worth my time. Sorry.

I can save you lots of time. Teams shot 32% from 3 against Syracuse and that includes Virginia having the greatest shooting game of all time against us, and Baylor shooting high 40's with the help of 2 banked in threes. Syracuse wasn't getting lit up left and right from 3 this year and you are wrong.

How many? I remember 2.
if a team makes a lot of 3s but does it while shooting it at a low percentage more or less plays into jb's hands

so take a look at opponents who made 10 or more 3s vs syracuse while shooting over 35%
uconn 12/21 loss
vpi 14/30 loss
fsu 11/22 loss
uva 18/25 loss
pitt 10/23 win
baylor 16/34 loss

of course this is not a zone thing; opponents making a lot of triples at a high percentage is bad news for any team

Unless you actually watch the Baylor/Gonzaga game and see that the shots they are getting against Gonzaga's man defense are just as open as the shots they were getting against our zone defense.
There’s a reason why coaches and players bring up rhythm and comfort in the zone/man debate. Not all open shots are created equal.

Unless you actually watch the Baylor/Gonzaga game and see that the shots they are getting against Gonzaga's man defense are just as open as the shots they were getting against our zone defense.

I'm watching right now.

If we had played Man we win going away.
If we could play man we win going away. Last time we tried, we got our doors blown off by a Division 8 team, in our building.

Not worth my time. Sorry.
I make poor life choices, so I decided it was worth my time.

Looking only at games we lost (because if we won, who cares?), here are the teams that shot better than 40% from 3:

UCONN - 57%
Georgia Tech - 50% (but they only made 6, not sure the percentage is that meaningful given that)
VPI - 47%
FSU - 50%
UVA - 72%
Baylor - 47%

So in 6 of the 14 losses it looks like our 3 pt field goal defense really let us down/our opponent was really, really good from deep. I have no idea if that's more or less frequent than non-zone programs, but it doesn't feel that damning to me.

I think the bigger issues in our losses though was that we just didn't score. We scored less than 70 in 11/14 losses.

I make poor life choices, so I decided it was worth my time.

Looking only at games we lost (because if we won, who cares?), here are the teams that shot better than 40% from 3:

UCONN - 57%
Georgia Tech - 50% (but they only made 6, not sure the percentage is that meaningful given that)
VPI - 47%
FSU - 50%
UVA - 72%
Baylor - 47%

So in 6 of the 14 losses it looks like our 3 pt field goal defense really let us down/our opponent was really, really good from deep. I have no idea if that's more or less frequent than non-zone programs, but it doesn't feel that damning to me.

I think the bigger issues in our losses though was that we just didn't score. We scored less than 70 in 11/14 losses.
Even if you want to absolve the Zone and focus on Offense, it stills comes back to the Zone.

We recruit for it, and if some want to argue we don’t, it’s pretty clear we have trouble recruiting elite players because of it. It’s documented as the reason we aren’t on certain players radars.

Let’s be real, maybe this changes next year, but why did we go after Chukwu? I think we all know why. Why did we go after a tall shooting guard to be our point guard? I think we all know why. There’s your answer as to why our offense sucked last year and this year.

I can save you lots of time. Teams shot 32% from 3 against Syracuse and that includes Virginia having the greatest shooting game of all time against us, and Baylor shooting high 40's with the help of 2 banked in threes. Syracuse wasn't getting lit up left and right from 3 this year and you are wrong.

Hmm I am wrong, eh?... So only 2 teams lit us up from 3 this year??

Try six teams with 10 or more 3 pointers against us. The percentages aren't pretty either:

Team | Date | Result | 3-Pt Att | 3-Pt %

uconn | 11/15 | loss | 12-21 | 57.1%

vpi | 1/26 | loss | 14-30 | 46.7%

fsu | 2/5 | loss | 11-22 | 50.0%

uva | 3/4 | loss | 18-25 | 72.0%

pitt | 3/13 | win | 10-23 | 43.5%

baylor | 3/21 | loss | 16-34 | 47.1%

There was also a number of teams that had (9) 3-pointers against us that are not listed above.

3 of those games were this month.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SyraFreed

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom