We’re now a mid-major | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We’re now a mid-major

Here is another point.
During the last 20 years we have been piss poor. So the old system certainly didn't benefit Syracuse. It cant get any worse under the new system. Personally i think we will do much better going forward.
I basically said this in another post. We are not winning under the current/old system.

You could say the same for our Men's Hoops and Lax teams as well - MID as MJF says

sorry for dropping a turd and running in this thread, but having watched the Lions yesterday, I feel we're them - a chance to be spoiler (i.e. vs. Clemson) - not a chance to make the playoffs (metaphor for top-tier bowl).

And the folks saying "well we've got 'Bama transfers" - these aren't top-of-the-depth-chart guys.

Yet ours WERE. We "lost" (if you can call it that) guys who are the identity of the team. Losing Chestnut to LSU -- what if we lost Andre Cisco?
We did lose Cisco. We moved on.

So is your expectation that SU should have 100% retention rate?
no.
Just wish we could get enough 3-4 stars in the door, retain enough, and have a team competitive in the top-half of the (newly reorganized non-division) ACC.

*EDIT - and get enough transfers who are kids we would have taken out of high school, but went elsewhere.

no.
Just wish we could get enough 3-4 stars in the door, retain enough, and have a team competitive in the top-half of the (newly reorganized non-division) ACC.

*EDIT - and get enough transfers who are kids we would have taken out of high school, but went elsewhere.
Do you think this program signs a bunch of 2 stars?

you just described this program.

sorry for dropping a turd and running in this thread, but having watched the Lions yesterday, I feel we're them - a chance to be spoiler (i.e. vs. Clemson) - not a chance to make the playoffs (metaphor for top-tier bowl).

And the folks saying "well we've got 'Bama transfers" - these aren't top-of-the-depth-chart guys.

Yet ours WERE. We "lost" (if you can call it that) guys who are the identity of the team. Losing Chestnut to LSU -- what if we lost Andre Cisco?
Stinks losing these two but you’re cherry picking. We had players transfer to a lot of different schools.

With a winning season it looks like Dino is getting some good transfers that he might have missed on last year.

I’m not sure how they rank it but for what’s it’s worth 2 4 7 has us ranked at 37 in the portal.

no.

If you are scared of losing players then maybe we should go all in on xfers. Kinda like K State did with Jucos back in the day. You get a good QB out of HS who has a great FR year, he can leave. You get a good xfer who has a great SO year, he will still be here for his JR and SR years.

Additionally an xfer is more developed physically.

We did lose Cisco. We moved on.
We lost Cisco to the draft, not to Ohio St.

Now we not only have the reality of players who are ready for the draft leaving Syracuse early (all 4 players leaving this year), we also have the reality of players getting paid to leave Syracuse to play somewhere else before they go in the draft in a year or two. That didn't exist before.

So I really don't understand this dismissive perspective of pretending this isn't a significant change for the worse.

no.

That’s exactly what they did, they went out and grabbed kids they would have taken out of highschool.

Oklahoma lost the Heisman Trophy award winner this year to USC.
Pitt lost the Jordan Addison to USC this year.

Are those schools mid majors?

The big dogs are going to get talent from
Wherever they can.
College football is like European soccer.
The big teams always dominate and use the smaller teams to get the talent they want.

Now we not only have the reality of players who are ready for the draft leaving Syracuse early (all 4 players leaving this year), we also have the reality of players getting paid to leave Syracuse to play somewhere else before they go in the draft in a year or two. That didn't exist before.

So I really don't understand this dismissive perspective of pretending this isn't a significant change for the worse.
What difference does it make though? Jahad Carter gave Syracuse 3 years, if there was a minor league for football (which the perennial top 10 programs essentially are) he probably would’ve gone there this year. You maybe have a gripe with Duce because left a year earlier.

Considering what I was hearing early on as far as players we might/likely to leave were trending, I think we have done an incredible job in retention. I really like what we have done in the portal too, plus we should be able to grab 4-5 more solid pieces over the next few months.

If you are scared of losing players then maybe we should go all in on xfers. Kinda like K State did with Jucos back in the day. You get a good QB out of HS who has a great FR year, he can leave. You get a good xfer who has a great SO year, he will still be here for his JR and SR years.

It’s what TCU has done

We were ranked. That’s a fact. I’d relax a bit here.

I was kind of surprised that Tucker did not transfer to a big time program.

Wherever they can.
The big teams always dominate and use the smaller teams to get the talent they want.
Joe Burrow transferred from Ohio State to LSU

we got 2+ years (can't blame portal for injury - although we CAN blame the turf...)
not really, WR Ed Hendrix collided with Dre during pregame warmups vs. GTech ending Dre's college career

Yup. People acting like it’s no big deal that some of our best players are leaving, not for the NFL - but for higher level football programs….I don’t think they want to admit what’s happening.

Hopefully it’s just the early rough stages and things will be worked out to where the system is fair. But right now, I think things are on a bad path where the already huge gap between the haves and have nots is going to widen considerably.

Making them sit a year when they transfer would solve it, IMO.
I wish that too but they’re friends are seeing where they are going and what they are getting. This year was 2, next year may be 3-4, and it’s just going to get worse for us. People either have their head in the sand, don’t want to believe it, or are just good going to the games to get away from their families and hang out with friends.

Wherever they can.
I seem to recall USC's QB received a trophy with a pose on it.
Was that part of our sales pitch?

Last edited:
Why don't we simply take the players from the large schools that are now going to be buried in the depth chart behind the guys that used to be on our team?
Why would we want guys that can’t play at other schools? This never made sense to me.

100%

Yup. TCU built tonight's football team from the portal from what I understand. Haven't looked into it, but I've heard it mentioned.
Take a look. The way they use the portal compared to how we use it are night and day. They get players who were successful at the P5 level. I wouldn’t use them as a comparison. Plus they routinely have top 20-25 recruiting classes to compliment that.

Me either. It’s just a widening of the gap.

Unless we hired Prime. Then we would have been golden.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom