We’re now a mid-major | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We’re now a mid-major

I have a contrarian opinion on this. I think Syracuse has a ton going for it with a domed stadium, solid private school, great communications school, and in the P5. Unfortunately, Syracuse has lost recruiting relevance in their key recruiting states of NY, New England, New Jersey, PA, and MD. Long periods of losing and hiring head coaches with almost no ties to the recruiting footprint will do that. I do think sometime down the road, the right coach will see the Syracuse opportunity and will rebuild the program. Look at all of the football coaches from the Northeast that have had college success: Brian Kelly, Chip Kelly, Dan Mullen, Ryan Day, Bill O'Brien, James Franklin, Pat Narduzzi, ... and the West Virginia natives of Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher. It just takes one head coach.

I have a contrarian opinion on this. I think Syracuse has a ton going for it with a domed stadium, solid private school, great communications school, and in the P5. Unfortunately, Syracuse has lost recruiting relevance in their key recruiting states of NY, New England, New Jersey, PA, and MD. Long periods of losing and hiring head coaches with almost no ties to the recruiting footprint will do that. I do think sometime down the road, the right coach will see the Syracuse opportunity and will rebuild the program. Look at all of the football coaches from the Northeast that have had college success: Brian Kelly, Chip Kelly, Dan Mullen, Ryan Day, Bill O'Brien, James Franklin, Pat Narduzzi, ... and the West Virginia natives of Nick Saban and Jimbo Fisher. It just takes one head coach.
His name is Joe Moorhead

I wish that too but they’re friends are seeing where they are going and what they are getting. This year was 2, next year may be 3-4, and it’s just going to get worse for us. People either have their head in the sand, don’t want to believe it, or are just good going to the games to get away from their families and hang out with friends.

come on man. Their friends have to be good enough as well. Next year could be 3 or 4 could be 1 and the year after could be 1 or 3 or 4. And Syracuse will continue to bring guys in and whether they are as good, worse, or better that will have to play itself out but as many as said the new portal should be good for Syracuse and hey it really can't get much worse? You say so but I highly doubt it, 6 bowl games in 20 Years?

As far as people and what they want to believe? Most people are fans who just go to games to support Syracuse watch football and yes have some fun, crazy I know. Most fans simply don't care really, I think you are being a bit over the top here, as if fans that don't realize everything with portal and NIL can't really just go to games to root for Syracuse. The HORROR!!! lambs being lead to slaughter? Don't they know the end is coming? Like the Baltimore Colts when they left town!! (You get my point)

At the end of the day, we lost 2 players who have been replaced as best as possible I am not going to lose my mind over it, not worth it and at the end of the day you can always stop following the team if it bothers you that much, it is an option but you won't and nor will I but I think people need to realize this is going to happen every year from here on out. A roster is August through Thanksgiving every year. Nothing longer than that. It will be 100% chaos for 8-9 months other than the season. AND IT'S NOT JUST SYRACUSE but those are the new rules and that's the way it's going to be played.

In addition, Dino has been pretty good so far in this area, keeping kids and bringing kids in. And I don't think anyone has ever accused me of being overly optimistic here in the 24 years I have been on this site! and you are entitled to your opinion I just disagree

Last edited:
Me either. It’s just a widening of the gap.

Unless we hired Prime. Then we would have been golden.
Let’s see him win a few FBS games before we crown him a savior.

What do you think you've been watching the past 20 years?

There are a handful of schools that are tier 1, title hopes every year, etc. Everyone else is not.

I'm fine being a team that lands b/w 6-9 wins each year and maybe a run to the CFP once a decade once it expands to 12.

Make a bowl game. Win more than you lose. Be entertaining. Use the portal.

How fun was the 6-0 start this year? Honestly - we were probably a healthy Shrader away from beating Clemson in Clemson.

Let' enjoy the ride. Dino needs to keep winning more than losing. But I'm excited for 2023 and beyond.

and a healthy defense and a healthy GS from being a top 10 team this year.

and you will still have kids coming and going regardless of who the coach is. The movement isn't going to stop

With that amount of talent it will be impossible not to. I know the Amazon piece was basically a puff piece, but he comes off far different than I think many would think. I would have welcomed him with open arms if he had the opportunity to come here with all of that talent.

sorry for dropping a turd and running in this thread, but having watched the Lions yesterday, I feel we're them - a chance to be spoiler (i.e. vs. Clemson) - not a chance to make the playoffs (metaphor for top-tier bowl).

And the folks saying "well we've got 'Bama transfers" - these aren't top-of-the-depth-chart guys.

Yet ours WERE. We "lost" (if you can call it that) guys who are the identity of the team. Losing Chestnut to LSU -- what if we lost Andre Cisco?

I understand the point of view you're expressing, but I think your perspective doesn't apply the correct lens on the transfers we brought in.

We've gone through this analysis before. Jaeden Gould had COMMITABLE offers from Alabama, USC, Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Clemson Florida State, Texas -- to go along with dozens of offers from programs like Tennessee, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, A&M, Florida, and on and on. Let that list sink in before you keep reading.

Jayden Bellamy had offers from Notre Dame, Clemson, Penn State, Ohio State, LSU, and Michigan -- to go along with dozens of offers from the likes of Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Nebraska, etc.

Braylen Ingraham had committable offers out of high school from Alabama [where he ended up], Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, Clemson, and Texas to go along with Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Florida State, Wisconsin, and many others.

You can't lament losing players to bigger programs, and then dismiss what the coaching staff has done bringing in transfer replacements with BETTER offer lists than the guys we lost.

How will it shake out in the end? We'll see -- but our fanbase would have gone berserk if we'd landed any one of those players out of HS, and we landed three.

Which is why -- contrary to the theme of your OP -- the portal is an opportunity for Syracuse to elevate the overall talent level. We're going to lose guys, too -- but that doesn't mean that the sky is falling. Every year is going to be out-and-out free agency.

With that amount of talent it will be impossible not to. I know the Amazon piece was basically a puff piece, but he comes off far different than I think many would think. I would have welcomed him with open arms if he had the opportunity to come here with all of that talent.
Texas, LSU, Auburn, all talent rich schools that have had bad to awful seasons due to a lack of coaching. Flash and pomp is fun for the cameras, but does it translate to a quality product on the field? Time will tell. A couple 5 win seasons will drastically change peoples’ perception of Sanders.

I was kind of surprised that Tucker did not transfer to a big time program.

Joe Burrow transferred from Ohio State to LSU
This is an example of exactly the type of transfers we need to try to get. A talented kid who couldn't get on the field at a powerhouse because of depth and just wanted to play right away. Then he is our talented player for good until he leaves for the NFL.

This is an example of exactly the type of transfers we need to try to get. A talented kid who couldn't get on the field at a powerhouse because of depth and just wanted to play right away. Then he is our talented player for good until he leaves for the NFL.

Agree 100%. Targeting highly rated players who are disenchanted with their initial choice and want a path to quicker PT is a great way to add talent -- need to capitalize on the portal, and not be victimized by it.

I understand the point of view you're expressing, but I think your perspective doesn't apply the correct lens on the transfers we brought in.

We've gone through this analysis before. Jaeden Gould had COMMITABLE offers from Alabama, USC, Penn State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Clemson Florida State, Texas -- to go along with dozens of offers from programs like Tennessee, Wisconsin, Oklahoma, A&M, Florida, and on and on. Let that list sink in before you keep reading.

Jayden Bellamy had offers from Notre Dame, Clemson, Penn State, Ohio State, LSU, and Michigan -- to go along with dozens of offers from the likes of Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Tennessee, Nebraska, etc.

Braylen Ingraham had committable offers out of high school from Alabama [where he ended up], Georgia, Ohio State, Michigan, LSU, Clemson, and Texas to go along with Auburn, Florida, Oklahoma, Florida State, Wisconsin, and many others.

You can't lament losing players to bigger programs, and then dismiss what the coaching staff has done bringing in transfer replacements with BETTER offer lists than the guys we lost.

How will it shake out in the end? We'll see -- but our fanbase would have gone berserk if we'd landed any one of those players out of HS, and we landed three.

Which is why -- contrary to the theme of your OP -- the portal is an opportunity for Syracuse to elevate the overall talent level. We're going to lose guys, too -- but that doesn't mean that the sky is falling. Every year is going to be out-and-out free agency.
Wait until after spring practice, when players at the top schools realize they will be backups again this year.
Then many of the best teams will have depth bail on them.

Agree 100%. Targeting highly rated players who are disenchanted with their initial choice and want a path to quicker PT is a great way to add talent -- need to capitalize on the portal, and not be victimized by it.
And we may not be a powerhouse program but but we are P5 in a good conference, and if we have a good staff, with good schemes and have a great team atmosphere we should be able to get some guys like this.

And we may not be a powerhouse program but but we are P5 in a good conference, and if we have a good staff, with good schemes and have a great team atmosphere we should be able to get some guys like this.
Especially if we can throw together some consecutive years of winning. That makes everything easier.

But through a more appropriate lens, what was the depth chart and chance to start at those programs? Or in Jaeden Gould's case, at Nebraska (next year)? What were his stats this year, again?

But through a more appropriate lens, what was the depth chart and chance to start at those programs? Or in Jaeden Gould's case, at Nebraska (next year)? What were his stats this year, again?

He redshirted. And his decision to leave Nebraska might have had little to do with where he stood on the depth chart -- maybe he just didn't like Lincoln, or he wanted to shift closer to home, or decided to bail when the HC he committed to got let go.

Again, I understand your point -- he's unproven relative to Carter / Duce -- but he was an elite 2022 recruit. Not just a kid with potential -- a kid that ALL of the blue blood football programs pursued and would have gladly welcomed.

The question is, why aren't you choosing to view it through that lens?

I fully acknowledge that maybe he doesn't end up being as good as Carter. Or maybe he busts. But guys like Gould [and Bellamy] have the potential to have both higher floors and higher ceilings than the players we've lost, as evidenced by their eye-popping offer lists.

But the big schools make out on this, so it's not going to revert back to your last sentence.

Our best bet in this new circle of life is to find the young guy who went to the big school, isn't getting his shot because they're bringing in someone experienced from the outside, and promise him his shot.

Once they get here, they can't transfer again until they're a grad student.

It's not ideal, but keeps talented players on the field for us.
We can be the old Oakland Raiders and take on the reclamation projects.

By the very fact that we are in the ACC belies the statement that we are a mid-major. Words matter.

Are we a consistently good team that can consistently hold its own against the B1G and SEC? Totally different question.

But are we a "mid-major"? No, we are not.
I don’t consider Cuse to be a mid either, but the levels have changed.

We already looked up at certain schools and knew our lot in life, without it really have to be admitted. For example FSU & Clemson > Syracuse. Now, we have admit it.

Just like how HS had to go from Class D, C, B & A…to creating a AA level.

There a bunch of schools who are High Majors now and Syracuse is a Major.

We shouldn’t worry about the mids, like the MAC, TCU and the big 12, just worry about staying a relevant Major.

It can be done.

The cream will rise all around, we should be raiding the MAC, confusa, big 12 and PAC, the separation is coming….get ahead of the curve.

What do you want to do move the school to Florida? Miami has been almost as useless since living the Big East.

We have something like 10 more losses than any other ACC team since joining.

We acheived relevance this year and next year could still be a good one. I think the 12 team playoff is going to kill the sport though tbh. The semi finals will be games like last night you can't give a team a bye and put them up against someone playing their 16th game of the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom