We’ve got to make shots… | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We’ve got to make shots…

Jake

Mod
Expecting this team to rebound is lunacy.

The bigger issue is Buddy and Cole missing shots and Joe giving away 2-3 possessions without being presssured.

Every offensive possession with this team hs to be productive.

The bigger issue is Buddy and Cole missing shots and Joe giving away 2-3 possessions without being presssured.

Yeah, we need to start shooting the ball better from 3. But to do that, they need to run a variety of off-ball screens and back door actions to get Joe, Buddy and Cole some open looks. They can’t just rely on 1-1 iso mismatches like they did the past few weeks. That’s not gonna cut it. I wish JB had a creative offensive mind. He’s obsessed with keeping things simple.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I simply don’t think we have the talent to be efficient offensively on a consistent basis.
Our offense is among the top 25 most efficient offenses in the country, per KenPom, so that’s not true. That said, because we struggle on defense, we still stagnate and need to get our offense into the top 10, particularly with all the shooters we have. The problem is that JB is obsessed with iso ball and has had this team running almost no plays or off-ball screens for several weeks now. I hate how he resists actually running plays. Buddy, Cole and Joe need some help out there to create some separation from their defenders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
it’s men against boys from an athletic perspective and I’m probably doing boys a disservice. Any team that can run a disciplined offense and make shots is going destroy this team because it’s just too easy to make shots.

Also not sure why someone thought it was a good idea to run an iso offense with a team that will generally be at an athletic disadvantage in at least 3 positions.

Love JB, but this program needs a new vision Because what we have now make no sense.

I don't know who to blame but at the end of the day we just have inferior players

Upvote 0
Our offense is among the top 25 most efficient offenses in the country, per KenPom, so that’s not true. That said, because we struggle on defense, we still stagnate and need to get our offense into the top 10, particularly with allthe shooters we have. The problem is that JB is obsessed with iso ball and has had this team running almost no plays or off-ball screens for several weeks now. I hate how he resists actually running plays. Buddy, Cole and Joe need some help out there to create some separation from their defenders.

Might I add that per Ken Pom we have the 18th ranked strength of schedule so far and only Ohio St and Mich St have a higher SOS among high majors programs.

Upvote 0
When Cole and Buddy are both shooting 22%, Symir or Benny need to become a playmaker. 1 assist between Buddy and Cole. Typically we just wait for our shooters to get going, but if Jimmy Edwards and Girard took all the shots the second half, maybe we have another 7 points and win. Edwards 8-15 from the line, could of used 2-3 more. imo, This team isn't built for the high low pass, but a two big lineup, or Benny with no focus on scoring, might be able to create better ball movement eventually.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We've always had some kids on the team that would get a chance to play professionally - we just don't have anyone that has any chance of sniffing the NBA - sorry but Buddy is not playing in the NBA - this portal thing is fine to get maybe a role player but it's no way to get elite talent - hopefully, one of the kids next year fits this NBA or almost NBA type of talent we used to have

Upvote 0
I am somewhat surprised so many on here still watch the games or attend the games with the sour taste it seems this program gives y'all.

There is so much hand wringing and yet this game came down to 3 great passes by Nova and 2 tough shots along with 5 shots missed by Buddy he should absolutely have made. Yes rebounding, yes athleticism but it came down to those 10 plays in the second half.

Nova +21 in rebounds is the game. End of story.

Upvote 0
I dont completely disagree with your main point, but Nova has one of their own. Bryan Antoine.
Jahvon Quinerly is a better example. (Antoine’s lack of production can be blamed on injuries.) Nova has had 5-star recruits that don’t pan out, similar to just about every D-1 program out there. For some reason it seems to make some SU fans feel better that ‘only JB/Cuse’ has a specific flaw that actually is pretty common.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but this was Villanova. We outrebounded FSU. Nova is not a big team nor a particularly good rebounding team.

Tonight, The Boeheims tallied 2.
Edwards, who has 6 inches on all of the Nova roster, got 6.

Rebounding was absolutely an issue tonight. They had 22 more shots than we did.
Jesse just has to get stronger.

Upvote 0
Swider had a career high 12 boards tonight.

Were any of them contested? It seemed the majority were backside rebounds that he was the only guy around. Felt like he lost everyone he had to box out and fight for. But good for him I guess it was his loan bright spot in 39 minutes.

Jimmy in 38 minutes had 2 rebounds
Buddy in 38 minutes had 0 rebounds

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Expecting better than 36-57 is not lunacy. We out-shot them 35.7% to 32.5%, including 33.3% to 26.0% from three.

Upvote 0
this was the most concerted effort to get the ball to Jesse/post that we have seen. that was literally the play call the first 3 times down the court. if Jesse was stronger, it would have been very effective.
Shhh. No narrative busting allowed.

Upvote 0
We can play with most anyone...for a half.
Problem is these darn games have 2 of them.
Indiana and Nova, we've lost both 2nd halves by 17 points.

How does a guy standing 6'6" play 38 minutes and not get a rebound?
You can stand on the court 12 feet from the basket and the ball will hit you in the head
at least twice.
For this team to win as JB has it set up now, Cuse must shoot 45% from the 3.
What we saw last night will be rinse and repeated unless JB gets more than cameo appearances from Frank, Torrence and Benny.
If this ends up being a "Boeheim victory lap" it's not going to end well.

Upvote 0
Our offense is among the top 25 most efficient offenses in the country, per KenPom, so that’s not true. That said, because we struggle on defense, we still stagnate and need to get our offense into the top 10, particularly with allthe shooters we have. The problem is that JB is obsessed with iso ball and has had this team running almost no plays or off-ball screens for several weeks now. I hate how he resists actually running plays. Buddy, Cole and Joe need some help out there to create some separation from their defenders.
I don’t really care what the numbers are right now. I don’t believe having guys that can’t create for each other and can’t get past their own man just isolate all game is sustainable long term. Anyone that comes into it with a game plan to stop us just needs to stay home on shooters and we’ll probably be done (barring changes to the system we’re running). The closest we have to someone that can make defenses pay for not sending help is Jimmy but even he is relying on floaters and running hooks. We desperately need someone that can get all the way to the rim and force the defense to collapse on them. All we have is trying to shoot over people. We have some good shooters but nobody that’s shown the ability to stir the drink.

Edit: to be clear, the defense and particularly rebounding are obviously larger issues than the offense. I just think our offense essentially boils down to whether or not we make relatively inefficient shots on a given night.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Were any of them contested? It seemed the majority were backside rebounds that he was the only guy around. Felt like he lost everyone he had to box out and fight for. But good good for him I guess it was his loan bright spot in 39 minutes.

Jimmy in 38 minutes had 2 rebounds
Buddy in 38 minutes had 0 rebounds
I do vividly remember one play where he boxed a guy out so well that he didn’t have to jump to get the rebound. It’s the only time all game I really remember us getting bodies on them.

Upvote 0
I do vividly remember one play where he boxed a guy out so well that he didn’t have to jump to get the rebound. It’s the only time all game I really remember us getting bodies on them.

He did get a few that he had to battle but that 12 isn’t what it seems.

Upvote 0
Nova has superior athletes and yiu have to tip your hat to the effort Nova gave on the offensive glass….they were relentless.

Upvote 0

His first board of the game was a really good box out. I remember because I nodded my head, smiled a bit, and thought, "nice box out."

Upvote 2
Obviously spacing and movement need to improve but mindset does too, especially in 2 area.

We rarely make a second pass and hardly ever make a 3rd pass to get defenses moving. Nova put on a clinic as to how spacing and sharing can improve shooting. They missed wide open looks in the 1st half, we didn't shut them down. They were mentally tough enough to understand that their system works - trust it, execute it and it will pay off. Our guys get too hero/iso driven when shots don't' go in, or defense makes them work. This results in dry spells and worse bad shots that often lead to easy buckets.

Nova's other mindset that we lack - if you miss GO AFTER IT HARD - especially sensing/knowing/seeing that SU's kids don't pursue anything with a physical presence. We have a soft mindset and it needs to change. Nova smelled blood on the glass and attacked it like a shark.

Upvote 0
It's the same every season, it's hard for the players to be in position for rebounds out of the zone. And these guys are a little slower and a little less bouncy. Also, rebounds from threes are hard to position for. Jesse needs to be stronger, but that's not something that's going to be fixed this season, and frankly that's said just about every year about the C/Fs.

They're a .500 team.

Upvote 0
Sorry, but this was Villanova. We outrebounded FSU. Nova is not a big team nor a particularly good rebounding team.

Tonight, The Boeheims tallied 2.
Edwards, who has 6 inches on all of the Nova roster, got 6.

Rebounding was absolutely an issue tonight. They had 22 more shots than we did.
Rank 279th enough times in defensive rebounding % (often with bigger teams than this one) and the bar gets to be pretty low after a while..
It's "lunacy" to not expect to get destroyed on the glass now.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom