We’ve ran the same gameplan against Virginia for a decade. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We’ve ran the same gameplan against Virginia for a decade.

He’s recruited poorly because he coaches poorly.

And because he’s checked out on the recruiting trail. The biggest reason for him to move on is that he doesn’t care to put the necessary energy into the admittedly awful parts of the job. I get it, but that’s when it’s time to let someone else have the reins.

Eventually, it can. A new staff likely won’t improve the talent over night. There will probably be an exodus of what little talent is here. Then we’ll rely on transfers which hasn’t been successful for many teams. Then we’ll rely on young recruits, probably not 5 stars.

Once the change happens, we’d be about 4 seasons out from being good and it’s hard to predict anything 4 seasons out.
4 seasons is very antiquated thinking. As others have pointed out, Kansas State has gone from 11-21, 9-20 and 14-17 to 14-1 this season. Iowa State went from 12-20, 2-22 to 22-13 and now 12-2 this season. If you hire the right coach, basketball can be turned around quickly.

4 seasons is very antiquated thinking. As others have pointed out, Kansas State has gone from 11-21, 9-20 and 14-17 to 14-1 this season. Iowa State went from 12-20, 2-22 to 22-13 and now 12-2 this season. If you hire the right coach, basketball can be turned around quickly.
I will also submit that we are hardly starting from scratch. The current team is not as talented as in the past, but they are more talented than the record indicates. In-game decisions have been mind boggling.

I will also submit that we are hardly starting from scratch. The current team is not as talented as in the past, but they are more talented than the record indicates. In-game decisions have been mind boggling.
All of the freshmen seem to be good athletes who need some seasoning. They would benefit from a coach who did more on the offensive end to help them get shots. But the biggest issue is not one of them can shoot consistently. There is hope for Bell, but he doesn’t do anything else on the court but shoot. Taylor seems to have the most promise as a starter who can shoot.

If I were coach next year with current projected roster, I’d recruit a two and a three who could come in and start as shooters from the portal, recruit a freshman to back up Mintz and also allow him to play the two a bit. If Benny stays I think we are okay at four and five. So basically we are at least two portal players from contention in my opinion.

JB doesn’t have to retire to make this happen... I’m sure if he tried he could get a couple of quality guys in.

Kansas State is a total backwater. We should just go steal him if he has a couple of good seasons.
I hear his brother Boone is available

if we make 1/3 of the layups in the first half we win.. basically if the blocking call goes away its a 1 possession game late,.
Why would we make those layups if given the chance again? Those misses weren’t one offs. They are a feature of the talent deficiencies, not some unlucky series of events

most layups are not a talent thing. they are a concentration thing. it would be different if it was all contested ones. Some are just trying to do too much..

most layups are not a talent thing. they are a concentration thing. it would be different if it was all contested ones. Some are just trying to do too much..
Joe G is horrid from 2 strictly because he can’t make layups. It’s got nothing to do with concentration. It’s about lack of explosion and finishing skills in traffic. Brown was missing them because he Shoots them from a low position, making it easy to block

Joe G is horrid from 2 strictly because he can’t make layups. It’s got nothing to do with concentration. It’s about lack of explosion and finishing skills in traffic. Brown was missing them because he Shoots them from a low position, making it easy to block
Joe is trying to draw a foul most of the time instead of just making the shot. He could also just take a 4ft bank shot.. I agree in traffic he struggles so dont get into traffic as often.

And we should take note that Bruce Weber, an older veteran coach who took Illinois to the title game in 2004, is the guy presided over diminishing returns at KSU (they did have a few pretty good seasons during his tenure). The current KSU coach Jerome Tang had no D1 head coaching experience (only high school) but had been a longtime college assistant. Same with Tommy Lloyd at Arizona.

Last edited:
I think JB started to suspect that the zone scheme was a problem the past few years (with so many players being able to shoot the 3 these days) and that’s why he started talking about playing some man to man and even did it for the first few games this season, but of course he reverted back to his old way of thinking when the rubber hit the road. We have better athletes this year but these guys are inexperienced in the zone and fall into extended periods where they lack activity. Our KenPom defensive numbers are bad and trending downwards. At the very least we need to use the press more. Or at least use it earlier in the game to spark our defensive activity in the zone.

Last edited:
All of the freshmen seem to be good athletes who need some seasoning. They would benefit from a coach who did more on the offensive end to help them get shots. But the biggest issue is not one of them can shoot consistently. There is hope for Bell, but he doesn’t do anything else on the court but shoot. Taylor seems to have the most promise as a starter who can shoot.

If I were coach next year with current projected roster, I’d recruit a two and a three who could come in and start as shooters from the portal, recruit a freshman to back up Mintz and also allow him to play the two a bit. If Benny stays I think we are okay at four and five. So basically we are at least two portal players from contention in my opinion.

JB doesn’t have to retire to make this happen... I’m sure if he tried he could get a couple of quality guys in.
Agreed. But he could have brought in transfers this season and he didn’t (besides Hima). He doesn’t use the transfer portal like he could and should. We needed a high level small forward. Bell and Taylor would be the backup and get much needed seasoning as freshman adjusting to college basketball. Do we think he’ll do it after this season? (I think only if we lose a key guy or two will he bother with it.)

No, I think Boeheim needs to step down after this season or next.

I just recognize that if we go get a coach for $5 million a year we probably won’t be good for a while still.
Personally, it takes a lot of bravery….but that is a chance I’m willing to take.

My grandma would stay up until 5:30am just to cook breakfast because we told her she wasn’t allowed to cook in our house anymore
My grandpa kept crossing a street where cars came over a hill and it was a blind spot, to get the mail. My dad then had the mail delivered to the post office instead. Grandpa flagged down the mail man one day and told him to go back to putting the mail in the mail box.

He WANTED to keep going out and getting the mail everyday because that’s what you do and didn’t acknowledge he was in more danger than needed because it took him too long to move across the street and he couldn’t hear or see cars coming as well as he used to.

$5 million a year will get you competing for a very good coach.
Add it the buyout money too. We’re going in house or mid major type guy, we’re not committing 30-50 million. (Includes buyout) to a guy for 5 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom