We’ve ran the same gameplan against Virginia for a decade. | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We’ve ran the same gameplan against Virginia for a decade.

What doesn't seem likely? That we can get another coach to go .500? Sure, it's possible. he might actually put time into recruiting, know how to utilize the portal, manage a roster, retain his players, and not run an outdated zone all the time.

What doesn't seem likely, that we can get another coach to go .500? Sure, it's possible. he might actually put time into recruiting and know how to utilize the portal and manage a roster and not run an outdated zone all the time.

Agreed with all of this except the zone. When teams have 4 players on the court who hit threes like Burt Kreischer drinks alcohol, and we have semi-coordinated athletes with some knowledge of what basketball is, we defend them pretty well.

Kansas State hired an assistant from Baylor Jerome Tang and in year one already has Kansas State 14-1 and beat Texas and Baylor on the road back to back.
Making a good coaching change is all we need. It doesn’t need to be an experienced coach just a good coach.

I just want to enjoy Syracuse hoops again. By year 2 we should be good again if we hire a good coach.

You could leave out Virginia and the title of the thread will still be true.

We have ran the same game plan on both sides of the ball for every game this last decade.
100%, with high end talent it can work, without high end talent you have losing streaks to Colgate.

The a bit too late adjustments are frustrating as well.

Yeah I don't get the folks who say it will take years. I guess it might but that might mean the new coach just couldn't fix it quickly. There's plenty examples where it can turnaround in year 1. This isn't football.
I think it’s 50/50, look at Pitt, were they unc? No, but they were damn damn good, made a wrong hire and they turned into BC, I thought Capel would turn it around quick but it took time. If they fired him last year they wouldn’t be as good as they are this year. Hiring/firing is an art.

Agreed with all of this except the zone. When teams have 4 players on the court who hit threes like Burt Kreischer drinks alcohol, and we have semi-coordinated athletes with some knowledge of what basketball is, we defend them pretty well.
This isn’t 2010.

You could leave out Virginia and the title of the thread will still be true.

We have ran the same game plan on both sides of the ball for every game this last decade.
Yup similar to what I said in the game thread. We've been trending down, haven't been ranked since 2014. To improve and counter this 9 year slow death, Jim's:
Ran the same old zone defense he's always run
Ran the same stale iso o he's always ran
Recruited the same prototypical cuse players
Scarcely touched the transfer market, brings in 1 a year tops

He's changed / adapted nothing. Maybe he's just counting on the other 357 teams to get worse so we look better.
Wild that some people want to replace him with the only other dude in the country who also plays exclusively
zone, crappy O, and who's trending dow
and also facing pitchforks, albeit at a lesser school.

The scarier part is JB still thinks his coaching is legendary and when it doesn’t work, it’s the kids fault. To not change at all in the last decade is pure insanity. And he’s shocked when someone has a career game against the zone. But every team has a career game against the zone now. How do you not realize something is wrong

JB retires after this season or next. The only point I’m making is it will get a lot worse before it gets better.

Stuff you and many will disagree with:

I also disagree that JB couldn’t have a successful team next season. For that matter, I disagree that he couldn’t have a successful team two seasons from now but I’m really running out of energy for all of these arguments tonight. I had to use the ignore button for the first time in 10 years because people can’t keep it civil.

We’re one multi-faceted Forward away from being very good. That’s honestly all JB needs, a 6’8” Forward who can dribble and shoot. Maybe they’re more rare than I think. We don’t have one. Anything can happen. Wes Johnson took a team projected to be below average to being a knee injury away from winning a national championship. Maybe there’s a Wes Johnson-type out there in the transfer portal. Who knows.

This comes full circle to the talent argument. We’ve been bad because Boeheim hasn’t recruited well. He’s recruited really poorly. Coaching circa 2014 is no different than coaching nowadays. As I established in the other thread, teams aren’t putting more or more capable shooters on the court than they did the last time we were great. His in-game coaching is fine. Because of that, I can’t help but think a player or two could change things drastically. We’ve all probably been on teams in our lives and we’ve all certainly witnessed teams in our lives that were drastically different with or without one player.

Losing to a top 25 team isn’t going to make me demand a retirement tonight.
it’s not getting better. Some people now think winning matter when it doesn’t matter and that’s a problem.

if we make 1/3 of the layups in the first half we win.. basically if the blocking call goes away its a 1 possession game late,.

The scarier part is JB still thinks his coaching is legendary and when it doesn’t work, it’s the kids fault. To not change at all in the last decade is pure insanity. And he’s shocked when someone has a career game against the zone. But every team has a career game against the zone now. How do you not realize something is wrong
My grandma would stay up until 5:30am just to cook breakfast because we told her she wasn’t allowed to cook in our house anymore

if we make 1/3 of the layups in the first half we win.. basically if the blocking call goes away its a 1 possession game late,.
Have we become an excuse program? It sounds to me, we’ve accepted being a mediocre program? Sorry, I expect more from this University. When did average become acceptable?

Have we become an excuse program? It sounds to me, we’ve accepted being a mediocre program? Sorry, I expect more from this University. When did average become acceptable?
I'm More of the line i dont expect any team to be relevant for 50 yrs because no team ever has..
Bad teams can win, good teams can lose, and simple plays are often the difference. But if your best player doesnt show up its hard to win. after about 10-20 teams there are 100 that the difference is pretty small. I dont expect to be in that top 20 and Im ok if we arent. Lots of bigger programs than SU have had some real down down times since 1975. So to expect SU will never have one is just not seeing reality.

No, I think Boeheim needs to step down after this season or next.

I just recognize that if we go get a coach for $5 million a year we probably won’t be good for a while still.
$5 million a year will get you competing for a very good coach.

Last edited:
Kansas State hired an assistant from Baylor Jerome Tang and in year one already has Kansas State 14-1 and beat Texas and Baylor on the road back to back.
Making a good coaching change is all we need. It doesn’t need to be an experienced coach just a good coach.

I just want to enjoy Syracuse hoops again. By year 2 we should be good again if we hire a good coach.
Kansas State is a total backwater. We should just go steal him if he has a couple of good seasons.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom