We all want to know what Autry will do different | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We all want to know what Autry will do different

My big fear is that the pendulum swings to where we emphasize athleticism to the point where we end up being one of those teams that are all hustle / intensity, but suck at executing a cohesive offensive concept.

But on the other hand, Autry is a former lead guard who played professionally, so hopefully he doesn't just roll the ball out like that no-trick pony at uconn.

Time will tell but to me this, paired with taking the zone with him, was Hops issue. Mind you, that was also Hop as a player too. Red played the game and hopefully sees success through a different path. Gonna put my faith in that being his approach to the game...

I rewatched the 94 Syracuse Mizzou sweet 16 matchup last night. Red went off for 31 in the 2nd half.

Obviously the skill level was greater, but what was interesting to me was how much the game flow 'looked' like the game flow that we have become accustomed to.

1. SU battles for 5-10 minutes and keeps it close
  2. The opponent controls the game for 20ish minutes and SU falls behind by double-digits
  3. We look sluggish as heck in the zone
  4. Start pressing a bit and there is a spark, but guys like JW appear like they have never played a M2M D before.
  5. The same high risk shots we were shooting and missing during the falling behind, those start falling, and over the course of the next 8 minutes we trim a 13 point lead to 1.
  6. Even our best athletes like Luke Jackson are now gassed. 1 star recruits have to come off the bench to spell our studs
  7. Helter skelter for the last 2-3 minutes and we force OT (replace this this year with turnover or bad execution on the last possession)
  8. Etc
Outside the immense differential in talent and grit between that 94 team and ours, the game flow had some similarities to many games in the 30 years since.

My big fear is that the pendulum swings to where we emphasize athleticism to the point where we end up being one of those teams that are all hustle / intensity, but suck at executing a cohesive offensive concept.

But on the other hand, Autry is a former lead guard who played professionally, so hopefully he doesn't just roll the ball out like that no-trick pony at uconn.
Weren’t we there with the MCW/Triche final 4 team? No one could score on that team… but they also couldn’t score because they couldn’t run an offense. If I remember the big change was to go almost 4 posts and let our athletic guards and forwards blow by the other team.

Weren’t we there with the MCW/Triche final 4 team? No one could score on that team… but they also couldn’t score because they couldn’t run an offense. If I remember the big change was to go almost 4 posts and let our athletic guards and forwards blow by the other team.

That group was definitely perimeter shooting challenged [outside of CJ, who shot the ball exceptionally well that season as the third option in the pecking order].

But I don't think they were what I described above.

Obviously long term, we want to see success on the court (ranked, tourny etc)...

but the short term (this summer), I want to see Red and his new staff GRINDING like we haven't seen in a REALLY long time and I think he will.

No more 100% 2-3 zone is going to help recruiting alone. We will play a more modern style of basketball which will attract recruits and get us back to being a top 15 program. I’m excited to see the transfer in and increased recruiting prowess. Red being involved in recruiting is going to help us, as JB wasn’t as involved in recruiting over the past few years.

Obviously long term, we want to see success on the court (ranked, tourny etc)...

but the short term (this summer), I want to see Red and his new staff GRINDING like we haven't seen in a REALLY long time and I think he will.
Yeah I'm very confident in this.

That group was definitely perimeter shooting challenged [outside of CJ, who shot the ball exceptionally well that season as the third option in the pecking order].

But I don't think they were what I described above.
True… I think they were the ultimate version of what you described. If we go the athlete route… make such good defenders that no one score, but make sure they are effective enough off the drive that we can limit scoring droughts… though that team had a LOT of scoring droughts. I remember the regular season Marquette games being rock fights.

True… I think they were the ultimate version of what you described. If we go the athlete route… make such good defenders that no one score, but make sure they are effective enough off the drive that we can limit scoring droughts… though that team had a LOT of scoring droughts. I remember the regular season Marquette games being rock fights.

That mid-February game @ Marquette that year was BRUTAL...

That mid-February game @ Marquette that year was BRUTAL...
In this day and age, where every teenager can seemingly hit NBA threes in their sleep... I think the "athlete" strategy paired with guards who can shoot it would work really well. That's basically Baylor's strategy right? I do wonder if Baylor plays their zone still... I feel like in the few games I caught recently they don't?

I think the big problem with the athlete strategy is if we are going that route and paired it with the zone, we would need big guards with length who could also shoot/drive. The issue there is those dudes seem like the top 50 or so recruits we stopped getting. It's probably just easier to find shorter guards who can play tough man to man D and still shoot. Those guys aren't making the NBA, but they will win you a BUNCH of games in college.

Regardless of Red's desired style of play, we have recruited specifically to fit the 2-3 zone. For his sake I hope that if he wants to move to M2M that the fanbase is smart enough to know that he may not have the roster for it in year 1.

Regardless of Red's desired style of play, we have recruited specifically to fit the 2-3 zone. For his sake I hope that if he wants to move to M2M that the fanbase is smart enough to know that he may not have the roster for it in year 1.

That is what the portal is for. Every single player in the portal has played man all season since we are the only team playing the zone. Once he figures out who is staying and leaving then he will fill the roster with portal players and all those players have played man.

My fear is a ‘do what everybody else is doing’ offense and defense. We’re not going to be landing top 10 recruiting classes and transfers are inherently volatile. I worry about placing too much reliance on being able to do what everybody is else is doing but with better players. That’s a way to have big record swings season to season.

I’ll be looking for some kind of system that sets SU apart; a system we can recruit to. Meaning we can get more out of a 3 or 4 star who fits what we’re doing.
I doubt there will be any magical new systems out there to become a new trademark.

the devil is in the details, can we execute modern schemes more smartly and more efficiently than can the other guys. Can we step up the recruiting.

can we effectively work the portal and the NIL.

when we can get “yes” answers to the above, then Cuse hoops will rise.

I want to see him keep Delta, American, United, and NetJets in business with the amount miles he's going to rack up hustling on the recruiting trail.
Rather it was Amtrak, our recruiting strength should be mostly the DC to NYC corridor.

Spread pick and roll. Easy and beautiful. A good PG and a good roll man surrounded by good shooters cannot be defended in the college game

As long as Red doesn’t tell everyone to close their eyes and imagine…

I rewatched the 94 Syracuse Mizzou sweet 16 matchup last night. Red went off for 31 in the 2nd half.

Obviously the skill level was greater, but what was interesting to me was how much the game flow 'looked' like the game flow that we have become accustomed to.

1. SU battles for 5-10 minutes and keeps it close
  2. The opponent controls the game for 20ish minutes and SU falls behind by double-digits
  3. We look sluggish as heck in the zone
  4. Start pressing a bit and there is a spark, but guys like JW appear like they have never played a M2M D before.
  5. The same high risk shots we were shooting and missing during the falling behind, those start falling, and over the course of the next 8 minutes we trim a 13 point lead to 1.
  6. Even our best athletes like Luke Jackson are now gassed. 1 star recruits have to come off the bench to spell our studs
  7. Helter skelter for the last 2-3 minutes and we force OT (replace this this year with turnover or bad execution on the last possession)
  8. Etc
Outside the immense differential in talent and grit between that 94 team and ours, the game flow had some similarities to many games in the 30 years since.
Except that was a game vs a 1 seed.

Just get the best talent you can and play whatever system maximizes their strengths. Some years that will mean playing fast, some years that will mean playing slow, some years that will mean needing your PG to set everything up and sometimes it will mean guys creating their own shots. Don't pigeonhole yourself. I just want to see ball movement and quality shots.

Just get the best talent you can and play whatever system maximizes their strengths. Some years that will mean playing fast, some years that will mean playing slow, some years that will mean needing your PG to set everything up and sometimes it will mean guys creating their own shots. Don't pigeonhole yourself. I just want to see ball movement and quality shots.
I'm a big believer in identity in college sports. This is what we do. Limited practice time, players coming and going. Recruits need to know what the deal is ahead of time.

I never liked the zone much but I could never imagine feeling so strongly about it to ignore the results.

Grinnell The System

Have one guy score a hundred forty and win by a point ha

bellarmine, yeshiva etc

I think with the dome we don't need to go crazy trying to be different
I agree! The Dome is a unique college basketball environment. If our teams are good, people will come and recruits can be awed by the grandeur - and at times frenzy (my favorite) of it all.

But it would be kinda distasteful for him to come out of the gate saying I'm going to do this and that different than the hall of famer I learned from. And it would also raise the question of why go internal when there are a hundred proven coaches who would also do something different.

Tough spot. We are all just going to have to wait and see

If I were Autry and SU I would go heavy on analytics (preferably consultants rather than some in house kids making it up as they go) and humbly say that boeheim was his own intuitive analytics department. It's actually true and it might help us improve our offense without insulting JB (not that that it is all that important but it would be nice to be a little delicate here)
He’s got to recruit better. Priorities 1, 2 and 3.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom