We all want to know what Autry will do different | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We all want to know what Autry will do different

I'm a big believer in identity in college sports. This is what we do. Limited practice time, players coming and going. Recruits need to know what the deal is ahead of time.

I never liked the zone much but I could never imagine feeling so strongly about it to ignore the results.
"Winning games" is my preferred identity. :)

Let's get back to running. The heck with grinding it out in the half court!

College basketball talent will never get back to this level unless the NBA mandates players must attend college and stay at least 3 years.

Too many guys skipping college or only staying one season.

I really hope he uses a deeper rotation. I've never liked Boeheim only going 7 deep, then in a tourney game someone gets into foul trouble or someone gets hurt late in the year and you're totally screwed. So I'm hoping for a deeper rotation, and more uptempo offense and aggressive defense. Let guys go harder for fewer minutes.

I heard playing aggressive and playing with pace as well.
Thx. I read that here, but literally could not hear the same on the presser. I had it running on my TV and computer.

Adrian needs to learn how to position himself relative to the mic. Or, Wildhack should not have been up there, as he is not the coach. The two of them bounding back and forth was a little weird.

So, he wants Mintz, is what he is telling us.

Last edited:
I heard playing aggressive and playing with pace as well.
That means mostly M2M, the Zone slows pace and makes getting out and running difficult because of rebounding issues. Its also hard to be aggressive on D when you are chasing the ball instead of muscling your man.

It also means getting away from "stringbean" recruiting.

In this day and age, where every teenager can seemingly hit NBA threes in their sleep... I think the "athlete" strategy paired with guards who can shoot it would work really well. That's basically Baylor's strategy right? I do wonder if Baylor plays their zone still... I feel like in the few games I caught recently they don't?

I think the big problem with the athlete strategy is if we are going that route and paired it with the zone, we would need big guards with length who could also shoot/drive. The issue there is those dudes seem like the top 50 or so recruits we stopped getting. It's probably just easier to find shorter guards who can play tough man to man D and still shoot. Those guys aren't making the NBA, but they will win you a BUNCH of games in college.
I want forwards like DC who go after every rebound with a passion, and the ability to finish at the rim. Give me guards who can shoot and get to the rim.
An aggressive defense which picked up at half court to shorten the clock.
A point guard like the General who can make the proper pass.

I thought he did a nice job of laying out the plan. But he needs players. He referenced “toughness” and hinted at a renewed commitment to strength. That was music to my ears.

Would think he wants a portal forward to rebound.

Cope, Mintz, Benny are the type of athletes that I think can play decent M2M. I’m not sure I want a guy like Jessie chasing a stretch 5 all over the place. I think that’s going to be his challenge going forward. I want him anchored near the basket where his length is a factor.

I don’t think Joe fits in. I think Taylor has the size and physicality to do it. Maliq too.

I’m not sold on Bell.

I hope the fellas get used to the weight room. I think we’re changing our approach there.

…with the proper commitment to S&C…

I thought he did a nice job of laying out the plan. But he needs players. He referenced “toughness” and hinted at a renewed commitment to strength. That was music to my ears.

Cope, Mintz, Benny are the type of athletes that I think can play decent M2M. I’m not sure I want a guy like Jessie chasing a stretch 5 all over the place. I think that’s going to be his challenge going forward. I want him anchored near the basket where his length is a factor.

I don’t think Joe fits in. I think Taylor has the size and physicality to do it. Maliq too.

I’m not sold on Bell.

I hope the fellas get used to the weight room. I think we’re changing our approach there.

I was impressed with Bell’s effort the last two games. He’s very athletic and could become very good defensively. Strength will help his defense and rebounding.

I’m not sold on Bell.

Going man he can get that 6"8" 240 4 guy that won't have to cover the corner.

I’m not sold on Bell.

Could Cabiles be on the outs?

Thank you for posting this.
If I had to pre-judge where this program is headed, based on this interview alone, I feel real good that we have a class individual now that will be be able to mix proven winning standards with personal style and passion.
This, is what we all needed.
LGO!!!!

No more "this team plays soft" comments. Kids better hit the weights and get their aerobic stamina up. You're going to be running a lot.

Hoping and praying Benny doesn't leave. He isn't far from having ALL the tools of a Dolezaj/Southerland hybrid on offense with a tad of Lydon on top. Imo by the end of the year, he became a true soph, similar to how Dion finished his freshmen season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom