We are a projected bubble team yet again... | Syracusefan.com

We are a projected bubble team yet again...

As currently structured, this roster is a bottom 5 team in the ACC, at least in a normal year. Maybe next year's ACC will be weaker than it's been with all the players graduating or going pro?

Right now, we're probably significantly worse than this past year's team.

check out who is missing from the latest mock drafts on ESPN..

Ridiculous.

Tyus Battle's the most dynamic player we've had in nearly a decade. JB's found the fountain of youth in his right nostril. Taurean Thompson will continue to develop and our redshirt/true freshmen will surprise.

image.jpg
Ridiculous.

Tyus Battle's the most dynamic player we've had in nearly a decade. JB's found the fountain of youth in his right nostril. Taurean Thompson will continue to develop and our redshirt/true freshmen will surprise.

Ridiculous.

Tyus Battle and TT will not be part of the problem. I agree that Tyus is probably our most dynamic player in a long, long time. He's got Dion's driving ability mixed with 40% 3 point shooting. That's insane and something we have rarely, if ever, had at SU. He's the type of skilled offensive player that we see so many other schools have, but never us.

I'm most worried about the zone D again, our poor PG play, lack of Guard talent and a lack of scorers/shooters after TB/TT. That's all based on the roster as currently constructed. If we add Tucker, it'll be a monster get and be a huge part of why we may not be so bad next year. But we'll still need a PG, have to hope that Moyer/Brisset are capable at the 4 (especially on D and the glass) and that the zone isn't the sieve it was this year for most of the season.

Tyus Battle and TT will not be part of the problem. I agree that Tyus is probably our most dynamic player in a long, long time. He's got Dion's driving ability mixed with 40% 3 point shooting. That's insane and something we have rarely, if ever, had at SU. He's the type of skilled offensive player that we see so many other schools have, but never us.

I'm most worried about the zone D again, our poor PG play, lack of Guard talent and a lack of scorers/shooters after TB/TT. That's all based on the roster as currently constructed. If we add Tucker, it'll be a monster get and be a huge part of why we may not be so bad next year. But we'll still need a PG, have to hope that Moyer/Brisset are capable at the 4 (especially on D and the glass) and that the zone isn't the sieve it was this year for most of the season.

Agreed, it's crucial that we figure out our point guard situation quickly. Though I'd almost say our season hinges more so on Moyer's development during his redshirt year and this summer/fall.

check out who is missing from the latest mock drafts on ESPN..
It's honestly not that surprising. Lydon, while a solid college player, never looked strong enough, quick enough or offensively skilled enough to warrant being such a high pick. I don't think his upside is any greater than some of the guys Ford has listed in the late teens and 20's in his mock. I hope Tyler can test well and shoot the lights out in the pre-draft process, so he can sneak into the 1st.

Agreed, it's crucial that we figure out our point guard situation quickly. Though I'd almost say our season hinges more so on Moyer's development during his redshirt year and this summer/fall.
I'd say Moyer's development would be about 6th or 7th on my list of developments we need to go our way.

Point guard play and the lack of scorers outside of TB/TT are my biggest concerns, along with how a young roster will handle playing the zone.

There is so much that is going to happen in the next 6 months. We will get new players and players will develop. I think Taurean Thompson's dedication is going to be the key to this team. If he can put on some muscle and vastly improve his lateral movement, enough that he can play forward, then I think this team can surprise some people. If he can do that, we could start Howard, Battle, Tucker (hopefully), Thompson and Sidibe or Chukwu. Only going off of limited video and other's trusted evaluations of Sidibe, I think he is going to be solid next year. So, that is the lineup I am hoping for with Ayala (hopefully) spelling the guard spots and Brisset, Moyer and Chukwu spelling the bigs and possibly the 3 for a short time. That is a nine man rotation, and we know that is unlikely, so maybe Chukwu gets squeezed out and Thompson slides to center when Brisset or Moyer come in and maybe one of Brisset or Moyer doesn't get much action.

As currently structured, this roster is a bottom 5 team in the ACC, at least in a normal year. Maybe next year's ACC will be weaker than it's been with all the players graduating or going pro?

Right now, we're probably significantly worse than this past year's team.

LMFAO! It's one of the first signs on the road to hell when part of the plan is to capitalize on the other teams' early departures! (not a shot at you, just gallows humor)

As much as I hate to say it, I think it hinges heavily on if we are able to get Tucker in the 11th hour. He would give us a second 3 point shooting threat and fills the void in that he's a natural 3 and will limit us having to ask young players to play out of position. That will help keep them in a role where they can focus on contributing to what their strengths are and be more effective at this phase in their career.

Next biggest one to me is can Frank take a big step forward. I like what JB is doing in more or less letting Frank know he's the guy next year and will have plenty of freedom to play through mistakes, for better or worse. Players play much better when they're confident and not looking over their shoulder - which is exactly what JB is helping build from a mental approach with him. I do think he is talented and has ability to be a good player but psychologically he looked like he was all over the place this year and eventually just lost all confidence.

Our 4/5 rotation I'm not too worried about. We have enough athletic bodies that I think will play with high energy and are talented that we can just piece something together and go with the "hot hand" depending on the situation.

Agreed, it's crucial that we figure out our point guard situation quickly.

Aye laddie, "The best laid plans o' mice and men aft gang a-gley." Wasn't the original plan to have Kaleb ready by now? :noidea:

Aye laddie, "The best laid plans o' mice and men aft gang a-gley." Wasn't the original plan to have Kaleb ready by now? :noidea:
Well, we haven't learned over the past 3-5 years. We continue to put ourselves in situations where our point guards are allotted a fraction of the time necessary to develop properly, and we assume they're "busts" if they can't do so. I wish Kaleb a BJ Johnson like season over at..Creighton? next year.

I scoff at any projections about next season that are made in April. There are too many unknowns at this point. Howard has the potential to be good at PG. If someone can teach Chukwu two post moves (really shouldn't be that hard, honestly) he could provide some unexpected scoring (don't get too excited, I'm talking 8 ppg). 7'2" is 7'2" and that brings its own advantages. TT can drastically improve on defense just by working on standing tall and keeping his hands up, and if he learns to move his feet - bonus! I hope Moyer surprises some people. And, we have yet to see who comes in and how ready they are to contribute right away.

I scoff at any projections about next season that are made in April. There are too many unknowns at this point. Howard has the potential to be good at PG. If someone can teach Chukwu two post moves (really shouldn't be that hard, honestly) he could provide some unexpected scoring (don't get too excited, I'm talking 8 ppg). 7'2" is 7'2" and that brings its own advantages. TT can drastically improve on defense just by working on standing tall and keeping his hands up, and if he learns to move his feet - bonus! I hope Moyer surprises some people. And, we have yet to see who comes in and how ready they are to contribute right away.

I would KILL for 8ppg from Chukwu. Heck, 4 or 5 would work. If Sidibe gets stronger and picks up the defense quickly then perhaps he starts. I could see him becoming a Boucher type from Oregon. Chukwu I am not counting on, however.

Getting Tucker is really important. Another shooting threat as mentioned above. If Frank can just be serviceable (assuming he stays) then that would be big for stability at that position. Hopefully Howard Washington's learning curve is fast if Frank does fail otherwise we are counting on more of those combo types (if Ayala or Duarte come) to handle the rock which I am getting tired of depending on.

I still see a bubble team as the ceiling even if Tyus is really good and Frank is ok. Too many raw types at the 4/5 and too many young guards. We have potentially limited outside shooting and not a lot of scoring in the paint. That's a bad mix and the scheme on offensive isn't creative enough to overcome that. Who knows what will happen moving forward as the roster is obviously not close to being settled yet. I just hope the staff knows what they're doing.

Last edited: