We are a projected bubble team yet again... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We are a projected bubble team yet again...

This same discussion took place in a thread weeks ago. Great regular season vs. Final Four. Give me the FF every single time.

Problem with that is, how many bubble teams make the final four?

It's not a perfect science but great regular season = better chances in the tournament. We could have technically won the whole thing this year but didn't even get in.

I get the argument, but if you're not playing in the tournament or on the edge of making or not making, your chances go down. Last year was an outlier and while it was great and memorable, it's not going to happen that often.

Guys, we don't have to choose between these two things. It's not an either or. They're both true.

1. We have been painfully mediocre (for our standards) the past three seasons.
2. Going to the Final Four last season was incredibly amazing and we will never forget it.

Way-too-early 2017-18 ACC Power Rankings

This projection puts us 12th. Yikes!
To be fair, while the roster is far from set, right now it's really out of balance and - outside of Battle - there's not a lot of plug-n-play talent. It's going to be an uphill battle to be ready in October.

I don't think SU will be competitive with the top 4-5 teams of the league (4-6 losses each), but the middle is going to be a demolition derby. I think another ~.500 season is most likely though. SU's schedule is pretty favorable and I'm sure there will be a few more additions to the team.

To be fair, while the roster is far from set, right now it's really out of balance and - outside of Battle - there's not a lot of plug-n-play talent. It's going to be an uphill battle to be ready in October.

I don't think SU will be competitive with the top 4-5 teams of the league (4-6 losses each), but the middle is going to be a demolition derby. I think another ~.500 season is most likely though. SU's schedule is pretty favorable and I'm sure there will be a few more additions to the team.

I totally agree and I thought the Louisville writer projection was fair. I worry that if too much focus is put on Battle to do everything his efficiency numbers are going to tank.

Make it stop. Make it stop! Ugh. UL writer seemed fair as well. Battle is good but he isn't Kobe or TMac to be able shoulder the load. REALLY need to get Tucker, Ayala, and hopefully another PG. Hopefully these guys are down with all zone.

I totally agree and I thought the Louisville writer projection was fair. I worry that if too much focus is put on Battle to do everything his efficiency numbers are going to tank.
Don't tell this to TrueBlue he is all over the Battle can carry us train.

We should take up a collection to make sure we don't lose jncuse's Boebble Watch content next year.

He doesn't have to keep writing it for free.

I scoff at any projections about next season that are made in April. There are too many unknowns at this point. Howard has the potential to be good at PG. If someone can teach Chukwu two post moves (really shouldn't be that hard, honestly) he could provide some unexpected scoring (don't get too excited, I'm talking 8 ppg). 7'2" is 7'2" and that brings its own advantages. TT can drastically improve on defense just by working on standing tall and keeping his hands up, and if he learns to move his feet - bonus! I hope Moyer surprises some people. And, we have yet to see who comes in and how ready they are to contribute right away.
Can anybody remember what the projections were for the 16-17 season. I believe they were lower than for 17-18. Lesson learned, don't put much store in April projections.

Can anybody remember what the projections were for the 16-17 season. I believe they were lower than for 17-18. Lesson learned, don't put much store in April projections.

I believe we were top 25 in most of the pre season polls.

I believe we were top 25 in most of the pre season polls.
Preseason, yes but what about last April, long before the 2 grad transfers. I think SU was even lower than 8th. The point is, it was after that, that TT signed then the Gillon and White. SU is still actively recruiting plus there are plenty of 5th yr guys around. Those thing could easily change things. Again.