We are a year away | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We are a year away

Right now we are as likely to be a 3 seed in next year's NIT as a 3 seed in the NCAA. There is some opportunity for upside, but many unknowns or possibly even some duds. Hard to have a good grasp on the future.

I wish the "next year's the year" predictions would come down to Earth a little bit. So we've got a potential star forward and a freshman point guard who (correct me if I'm wrong) is ranked about where Kaleb Joseph was rated as a recruit? OK, cool.

But maybe let's try looking like a team with five capable starters and a couple decent reserves, or winning games consistently, or winning an ACC tournament tournament game before there's any thought of 3 seeds in the near future. Because these rosy predictions have a way of falling short. (We did spend the last 12 months hearing how Matt Moyer was a future stud, among other things.)

I wish the "next year's the year" predictions would come down to Earth a little bit. So we've got a potential star forward and a freshman point guard who (correct me if I'm wrong) is ranked about where Kaleb Joseph was rated as a recruit? OK, cool.

But maybe let's try looking like a team with five capable starters and a couple decent reserves, or winning games consistently, or winning an ACC tournament tournament game before there's any thought of 3 seeds in the near future. Because these rosy predictions have a way of falling short. (We did spend the last 12 months hearing how Matt Moyer was a future stud, among other things.)

Carey is ranked 34th according to ESPN. Battle was ranked 35th. Bazley is our highest ranked recruit since Melo.

If this years young guys(HW/Sidibe/Marek/oshae/moyer) can’t combine with next years class to win 28 plus games and get a protected seed it’s time to get an entire new staff. That would mean they failed in both their talent evaluation in recruiting and overall talent development another year. This is the last year I am expecting mediocrity. If it’s not good next year it’s time to blow it all up.

Next year this team will be legit top three seed
A more reasonable prediction is that next year's team will probably be good enough to make the tournament. Pinning everything on a top 10 forward and a dynamic freshman point guard to be the savior didn't work out too well last time that happened here. But the good news is - if next year they don't get back to vintage Syracuse, I think JB will strongly consider retiring to avoid dragging this out for 4 more years.

Hopefully this doesn't happen and we're a dynamite final 4 caliber team in 2019. We'll look back on the 2014-2018 period as a dark but isolated chapter in this program's history. Hopefully.

I don’t like looking ahead since we are just about to start up a whole new season but you can’t help but think about next year. Granted I don’t think Tyus comes back but can you imagine a line up of:

Jalen Carey
Tyus Battle
Oshae Brissett
Darius Bazley
Sidibe

I know it’s 2 exhibition games burn Sidibe is looking like a diamond in the rough type of recruit we found, it seems like he could be the real deal but we’ll know more in a couple of weeks. But that lineup is National Championship caliber if those players just meet expectations.

Couldn't agree more, especially with Frank being "what he is." And, that is not a point guard at this level. The biggest improvement I was hoping to see from Frank was in his handle. And, from what I've observed in these two exhibitions is that he's made no progress and it's still quite weak. .

Eh, it's easy to hammer on Frank. He was not really the problem last night. Battle took a lot of bad shots, and everybody settled for 3's in the first half, especially early. Frank actually had a pretty solid game, IMO.

Carey is ranked 34th according to ESPN. Battle was ranked 35th. Bazley is our highest ranked recruit since Melo.

If this years young guys(HW/Sidibe/Marek/oshae/moyer) can’t combine with next years class to win 28 plus games and get a protected seed it’s time to get an entire new staff. That would mean they failed in both their talent evaluation in recruiting and overall talent development another year. This is the last year I am expecting mediocrity. If it’s not good next year it’s time to blow it all up.

Nah, it would just mean they're playing college basketball and anything can happen. Pinning hopes on a few recruits, no matter how highly rated, to do anything as far as wins and losses (to say nothing of how they should mesh with existing teammates, many of whom have never done anything to win games in college) would be Crazy.

I'm excited for this year, I'm excited for next, I like seeing our players play. But nobody should bank on great results from a bunch of players whose teams have struggled.

Let’s be honest. Everyone is grasping for straws. This team is dreadful. They can’t and will not score in a half court game against anyone decent. This team has two decent players in Battle and Brissett. I can’t see anyone else even seeing the court on a good ACC team. Sidibe has potential and I was totally underwhelmed with Thorpe. Kaleb Joseph looked like an all ACC player compared to Thorpe. I know he isn’t healthy, but he looks out of control and he’s not the shooter I thought he was. He’s another dribble machine with no where to go. There is no one at the four or five spot that can score or even rebound. This team is physically weak with no leaders in sight. I hope I’m wrong, but I see this team losing 4-5 pre-ACC games and there’s no way they can win half of their ACC games. I wonder if there is anyone they can beat in the ACC. Pitt will be bad. They may be our only hope. BC’s backcourt will eat this team up. If JB can win with this team, he should be ACC coach of the year.

This take is on FIIIIIIRRREEEEE

Couldn't agree more, especially with Frank being "what he is." And, that is not a point guard at this level. The biggest improvement I was hoping to see from Frank was in his handle. And, from what I've observed in these two exhibitions is that he's made no progress and it's still quite weak. His high unsteady dribbling will be there for the taking all season, especially against better guards/competition he'll see. He has the desired size to penetrate, but with such a poor handle, he knows he'll just get it stripped or turn it over.

Realizing this, other teams will continue to expose his significant weakness there, which will keep his confidence very low and why he'll continue to go East/West (same as Kaleb Joseph) vs. North/South. If we had a legit PG this year (Quade), this team, even with all it's flaws/greenness is much better with far more potential. I know in the past we've lost recruits that we really wanted badly, but I can't recall a recruit in recent memory that was more critical in landing/missing than Green.
Can't totally disagree but I do think that Frank will improve as the season goes on.

I also believe the best case scenario is Geno at the point and Frank playing off guard.

Nah, it would just mean they're playing college basketball and anything can happen. Pinning hopes on a few recruits, no matter how highly rated, to do anything as far as wins and losses (to say nothing of how they should mesh with existing teammates, many of whom have never done anything to win games in college) would be Crazy.

I'm excited for this year, I'm excited for next, I like seeing our players play. But nobody should bank on great results from a bunch of players whose teams have struggled.

That would mean we are no longer Syracuse anymore and we aren’t getting it done like we used to. It’s fine to have that opinion, but I think a big portion of the fanbas share the same opinion as I do.

Have we become the "wait til next year" type of program??

I'm also not so sure next year will all of a sudden be a return to being a top 10-15 type team. We'll still be very young and have a team that is going to get pushed around on the interior. The talent this year looks well below average, so adding Hughes, Baz and Carey will help, but we probably lose Battle and maybe even Brissett. But that's next year. We've got this year to get through...

That would mean we are no longer Syracuse anymore and we aren’t getting it done like we used to. It’s fine to have that opinion, but I think a big portion of the fanbas share the same opinion as I do.

60 wins over our last 102 says it all. It'll be possible to get back on a winning kick, but it's pretty unlikely that it would happen overnight.

Let’s be honest. Everyone is grasping for straws. This team is dreadful. They can’t and will not score in a half court game against anyone decent. This team has two decent players in Battle and Brissett. I can’t see anyone else even seeing the court on a good ACC team. Sidibe has potential and I was totally underwhelmed with Thorpe. Kaleb Joseph looked like an all ACC player compared to Thorpe. I know he isn’t healthy, but he looks out of control and he’s not the shooter I thought he was. He’s another dribble machine with no where to go. There is no one at the four or five spot that can score or even rebound. This team is physically weak with no leaders in sight. I hope I’m wrong, but I see this team losing 4-5 pre-ACC games and there’s no way they can win half of their ACC games. I wonder if there is anyone they can beat in the ACC. Pitt will be bad. They may be our only hope. BC’s backcourt will eat this team up. If JB can win with this team, he should be ACC coach of the year.

We have a long ways to go. The concerns aren't wrong but it is a bit early to call weaknesses absolutes at this stage. This is why I hate the stupid D2 exhibitions. Every single fan expects the 2016 Warriors to be out there shooting 70 pct and winning by 35 at halftime. If there are any signs of struggle, it is total doom and an embarrassment.

I think it is fair to say that the exhibitions do a poor job of predicting success for the season.

Have we become the "wait til next year" type of program??

I'm also not so sure next year will all of a sudden be a return to being a top 10-15 type team. We'll still be very young and have a team that is going to get pushed around on the interior. The talent this year looks well below average, so adding Hughes, Baz and Carey will help, but we probably lose Battle and maybe even Brissett. But that's next year. We've got this year to get through...

If we lose Battle and Brissett i doubt its an “awful” season. I actually think it’s more likely they come back if it’s an “awful” season. Battles jumper looks dreadful for a shooting guard through two exhibition games.

Couldn't agree more, especially with Frank being "what he is." And, that is not a point guard at this level. The biggest improvement I was hoping to see from Frank was in his handle. And, from what I've observed in these two exhibitions is that he's made no progress and it's still quite weak. His high unsteady dribbling will be there for the taking all season, especially against better guards/competition he'll see. He has the desired size to penetrate, but with such a poor handle, he knows he'll just get it stripped or turn it over.

Realizing this, other teams will continue to expose his significant weakness there, which will keep his confidence very low and why he'll continue to go East/West (same as Kaleb Joseph) vs. North/South. If we had a legit PG this year (Quade), this team, even with all it's flaws/greenness is much better with far more potential. I know in the past we've lost recruits that we really wanted badly, but I can't recall a recruit in recent memory that was more critical in landing/missing than Green.
The easiest way to deal with Frank's decision-making is just to let him play SG. His first half was rocky, along with his teammates. But he wound up scoring 19 on only 8 shots .. pretty efficient. His stroke looks much better and he can get to the rim. At point guard, it's too much thinking. It's an effort for him to run the offense, dribble, set up other guys .. and not turn it over. The way it looks now, I think JB will look to Thorpe and HW (who right now looks better than Thorpe) as more natural PG's, unless they completely STB. If Thorpe/HW can run the team, I'm expecting to see a 3 guard rotation frequently to get Thorpe/HW, FH and TB on the floor at the same time. We're desperate for points. Only one of our forwards (OB) can volume score the ball. MM and DM are effort guys, but they struggle offensively. I saw nothing last night to change my thinking on this. We're in for a long year and [add] I'm not sure we have the chops with this group for .500 in conference. Hope I see something different, and soon.

Last edited:
Eh, it's easy to hammer on Frank. He was not really the problem last night. Battle took a lot of bad shots, and everybody settled for 3's in the first half, especially early. Frank actually had a pretty solid game, IMO.
Amen. So silly. Frank was the best player on the court last night by quite a bit. His stat line was fantastic. Battle will get a free pass when he goes all Cooney on us and 4-17 in a game... but so many will hammer Frank when he has 5 assists and 4 turnovers in a game.

Poor fans... because FH is very likely to be our starting 2 guard next year next to Carey.

Moyer is the concern... He is expected to play a good amount but he looks awful. Marek is going to play a ton. More than expected.

The easiest way to deal with Frank's decision-making is just to let him play SG. It's too much of an effort for him to run the offense, dribble, set up other guys .. and not turn it over. I think JB will look to Thorpe and HW (who right now looks better than Thorpe) to play point, unless they completely STB. If Thorpe/HW can run the team, I'm expecting to see a 3 guard rotation frequently to get Thorpe/HW, FH and TB on the floor at the same time. We're desperate for points. Only one of our forwards (OB) can volume score the ball. MM and DM are effort guys, but they struggle offensively. I saw nothing last night to change my thinking on this. We're in for a long year.
Next year... spot on..

Amen. So silly. Frank was the best player on the court last night by quite a bit. His stat line was fantastic. Battle will get a free pass when he goes all Cooney on us and 4-17 in a game... but so many will hammer Frank when he has 5 assists and 4 turnovers in a game.

Poor fans... because FH is very likely to be our starting 2 guard next year next to Carey.

Moyer is the concern... He is expected to play a good amount but he looks awful. Marek is going to play a ton. More than expected.

Preeeeeetty sure Battle has earned a little more slack at this point than Frank has. Acceptable performance against a D2 team notwithstanding.

I'm excited for this year, I like seeing our players play.
It's not exciting knowing we have no shot competing against the big boys. Heck, we might not be able to compete with the little boys either. I think everyone hopes for the best, but I think reality will quickly set in once the first few games are played. More than anything else, we needed Thorpe and/or Frank to be much better-than-projected to have any chance of a successful season. The early returns are very sobering.

It's not exciting knowing we have no shot competing against the big boys. Heck, we might not be able to compete with the little boys either. I think everyone hopes for the best, but I think reality will quickly set in once the first few games are played. More than anything else, we needed Thorpe and/or Frank to be much better-than-projected to have any chance of a successful season. The early returns are very sobering.

On an unrelated note does anyone remember when posters were predicting 0-18 after we lost to BC?

Hot Sports Takes are the best takes.

2nd half score: 60-30.
Not pretending the 1st half didn't happen, but 60-30 is impressive regardless of how points were scored or who scored against.
Pieces are there and as they gel, as roles are figured out, as everyone gets healthy - team will get better.

Taurean being tampered with is already showing its effects on the roster. This is a very young team. If you have National Championship expectations, check them at the door now. This is trial by fire for many of them. There isn't anyone coming off of the bench to save them. They will take their lumps and hopefully be a better team for it in 2018-19. If they make the NCAA Tournament, this will have been one of Boeheim's best coaching jobs.

Not a single person grounded in any degree of reality ever thought a national championship for this team was even a remote possibility

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom