We are making progress | Syracusefan.com

We are making progress

kcsu

Living Legend
Lets give Dino time and acknowledge the progress that is being made.

Our D is significantly improved. 100% better at every position. Bring Steven back and we are very solid. Next year we are better up front young but talented at LB and will field a strong secondary

O is going to take some time as we are one dimensional. Next year will show an exponential improvement. The OL and RB positions will be twice as good and deep. This alone will make a huge difference. Eric and or Tommy will be improved. At WR i believe we stay the course but production will improve significantly because of the running game.

Depth: We will finally be 2 or more deep at every position.

Special teams: Not even close possibly our second most improved unit.

Recruiting: Best class in over 10 years.

Schedule: Easier

All in all next year is the year we break out. Dont lose faith. This staff and AD will get it done.

Agree with a lot of your points, and I have a lot of confidence in Dino and his staff.

The schedule next year has the disadvantage of away games with our peers (Pitt, BC, Wake) and home games with the top of the division. Not sure why that is easier.

We don't know what we have behind the 4 LBs we lose (the starters plus Valdez). Armstrong gets positive reviews from practice, but the others are raw and we will be very young in that unit. I like what I see in the other units.

At receiver -- well, again, the only proven commodities (Ishmael & Phillips) won't be back. Biggest disappointments so far have been the lack of production from Pierce & Custis, as well as the lack of improvement at the RB position. Maybe the recruits who are sitting the bench are terrific, and maybe true frosh provide immediate impact. Maybe, and let's see some of that.

Bottom line -- I hope we can see some progress this season, taking advantage of the seniors, making some changes on the field, working in some of the true frosh.

Lets give Dino time and acknowledge the progress that is being made.

Our D is significantly improved. 100% better at every position. Bring Steven back and we are very solid. Next year we are better up front young but talented at LB and will field a strong secondary

O is going to take some time as we are one dimensional. Next year will show an exponential improvement. The OL and RB positions will be twice as good and deep. This alone will make a huge difference. Eric and or Tommy will be improved. At WR i believe we stay the course but production will improve significantly because of the running game.

Depth: We will finally be 2 or more deep at every position.

Special teams: Not even close possibly our second most improved unit.

Recruiting: Best class in over 10 years.

Schedule: Easier

All in all next year is the year we break out. Dont lose faith. This staff and AD will get it done.
A lot of "Next Year" in this post. Seem to hear that phrase every year.

Thank You,
I wish I could like this multiple times
Your welcome. I base my optimism on the DL and OL. I believe both will be strong. In addition the RB position will be much improved. MO moves to the slot. Our frosh blossom and Pierre Custis and Butler improve both physically and more importantly mentally.

A lot of "Next Year" in this post. Seem to hear that phrase every year.

When you start over at HC every 3-4 years, it's always year 1 or 2 for half the time. 3rd year is almost always the year (Scooch). It took Marrone 4. He really stopped our progress by leaving when he did.

(Difference between Dino and Marrone's year 1-2 is schedule.)

When you start over at HC every 3-4 years, it's always year 1 or 2 for half the time. 3rd year is almost always the year (Scooch). It took Marrone 4. He really stopped our progress by leaving when he did.

(Difference between Dino and Marrone's year 1-2 is schedule.)

Bingo. A program like SU can't make two horrible hires like GROB and Shafer and bounce back quickly. Marrone, for his many personality flaws, is a damn good coach and losing him hurt. A lot.

Wake, BC, and NC State all hired new coaches around the same time. I detest Clawson and Doreen, but make no mistake it took time to build up the roster and get fits for their systems. Addazzio reminds me a lot of Shafer - meathead with no plan on O. He'll be a DC somewhere after he gets canned.

Everyone is impatient - me included. But I'm still trusting in Dino.

Wake, BC, and NC State all hired new coaches around the same time. I detest Clawson and Doreen, but make no mistake it took time to build up the roster and get fits for their systems. Addazzio reminds me a lot of Shafer - meathead with no plan on O. He'll be a DC somewhere after he gets canned.

Everyone is impatient - me included. But I'm still trusting in Dino.

I can't stand Addazio but I would take him as DC in a heartbeat. They are going to win 3 games tops this year, he is toast

I can't stand Addazio but I would take him as DC in a heartbeat. They are going to win 3 games tops this year, he is toast

As long as we continue to disallow assistant interviews, lol. I can't take it.

Addazio comes from the offensive side. He was the run game coordinator at Florida. Not saying you couldn't flip like Deleone did although I don't think it worked out too well

Agree with a lot of your points, and I have a lot of confidence in Dino and his staff.

The schedule next year has the disadvantage of away games with our peers (Pitt, BC, Wake) and home games with the top of the division. Not sure why that is easier.

We don't know what we have behind the 4 LBs we lose (the starters plus Valdez). Armstrong gets positive reviews from practice, but the others are raw and we will be very young in that unit. I like what I see in the other units.

At receiver -- well, again, the only proven commodities (Ishmael & Phillips) won't be back. Biggest disappointments so far have been the lack of production from Pierce & Custis, as well as the lack of improvement at the RB position. Maybe the recruits who are sitting the bench are terrific, and maybe true frosh provide immediate impact. Maybe, and let's see some of that.

Bottom line -- I hope we can see some progress this season, taking advantage of the seniors, making some changes on the field, working in some of the true frosh.

I would rather have inexperience at linebacker then at dline if I had to choose. I guess we will see comparing this year and next.

We are extremely young on the oline. I think this is the biggest factor in the run game, esp for a developmental program like ours. Like Dino said the baby elephants need to grow

The injury bug bites us every year. So far this year losing our starting safety in game 1 and then both first string WRs and our starting QB for parts of yesterday's game ... not to mention the loss of players before the season even started.

I was not happy with a lot yesterday but today all I could think about is how snake bitten our football team has been since the past forever. I've been a fan since 1992 and cannot remember a stretch of injury plagued seasons like this. Unbelievable.

I would rather have inexperience at linebacker then at dline if I had to choose. I guess we will see comparing this year and next.

We are extremely young on the oline. I think this is the biggest factor in the run game, esp for a developmental program like ours. Like Dino said the baby elephants need to grow

Mixed bag on the defense (this season vs 2018) -- I like our LB core and the front 7 is better than what we have had in recent seasons. My view is we have enough to win some games this season, so let's hold off on thinking 2018. Dino needs to figure out some things in components that have been his strengths (coaching WRs). We will see how resourceful he (and the team) can be in rebounding from this loss. Right the ship, beat Pitt.

Mixed bag on the defense (this season vs 2018) -- I like our LB core and the front 7 is better than what we have had in recent seasons. My view is we have enough to win some games this season, so let's hold off on thinking 2018. Dino needs to figure out some things in components that have been his strengths (coaching WRs). We will see how resourceful he (and the team) can be in rebounding from this loss. Right the ship, beat Pitt.

I'm with you on this year. Those baby elephants are growing through the year. I think we will be a better team at the end of the year than now

I think folks would be able to handle the loss yesterday if our remaining schedule wasn't so horrific. Getting to six is now very very difficult but I do think we will improve as the year goes just may not be enough.

I feel we have a strokng team next year but can't settle for our corner play Sat. If u watched closely we got beat often. Not once here and there, but a lot. Now if that was Clemson or Florida st, it would have been scores like last year. If they truly are our 2 best corners then we are screwed this year. I really had high hopes. I did like what Butler did at db. I hope it was just a bad game and we can move on but we will see the ball in the air a lot more in coming games.

Reactions: 007
Addazio comes from the offensive side. He was the run game coordinator at Florida. Not saying you couldn't flip like Deleone did although I don't think it worked out too well

Well, he kept the offense from scoring then too...unfortunately it was Florida's.

Last edited:
Progress this year was making a bowl game, and I think we can all agree that with our schedule we had to win the first 3 for that to be possible.

Good post kcsu. Every player has to keep improving and doing their job. If the coaches can keep them focused and working things will continue to get better. Those who don't work hard and strive to improve will be replaced as the following classes will be just as fast or faster and just as big or bigger.

Like a tree...it takes offensive linemen a while to grow up and learn the system but once they do start executing it'll be the base to this offense and we can see how well this staff has recruited this position. Losing the LB's will hurt the most in the future...I really like Armstrong but I'm not really sure about anyone else. I can see N.Johnson and Butler as good WR's and hopefully at least one an impact wr.

The kickoff coverage has been very good along with the kickoffs themselves. Keller had his first bad snap in his career Saturday and has been perfect till then. Losing Cordy hurt and hopefully he'll be back to close out the year and he'll be back next year. The whole defensive line is back which hopefully will help the young LB's. The secondary will be solid.

As you wrote...the recruiting is building depth and is doing so at all positions. The key to me is the OL learning the system and being the base to build this whole thing on.

That snap by Keller wasn't good but Hofrichter surely didn't bail him out. What a poor fu&@ng effort to catch it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom