We are making progress | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We are making progress

What were the star ratings for Kevin Johnson, spotwood, Harrison?

I think that was before stars.

But some of the athletes we have verbals from are approaching that level. The C from Michigan. OT from NY. WR from DC.

Why is it always people with not that many posts who come on here to bash the team and the coaches after a disappointing loss?

Been here since the beginning and have been positing for as long as many on here, don't think the number of posts should matter but I guess there will always be those posters who believe that it does, and your more than entitled to you opinion. After all it is a public sports board full of opinions. And, as many others have said in the past, if you don't like a poster block them. No harm in that.

As you said it was an ugly loss and I agree with that. You also pointed out some additional issues that the team needs to work on, all of which I agree with as well. Not trying to call you out but did you feel that we were well prepared for this game? To me the team did not seem prepared for a blitzing scheme which is puzzling but others might see it differently, which is fine.

MTSU is a mediocre team who I felt won the game on both sides of the ball (again my opinion only). They turned the ball over 3 times on the road and walked out with a 7 point win. After watching the first 2 games of the year I think we are going to struggle with a lot of teams on the schedule in the weeks to come. I think we can get wins over CMU and BC, maybe 1 more somewhere down the line. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I am worried about our receivers getting separation down the field against ACC level talent. Im also worried that the running game is also going to have some serious issues against P5 competition.

Is the sky falling and the world ending for this program? No. Its a rebuilding process which takes patience, especially in one of the toughest divisions in the country. Look at any program that had to rebuild, it take time. Im hoping for some surprises but realize this might very well be a tough year given our schedule. I think and hope Dino can get it done, but I personally need to see a lot more from him before I draw any conclusions on the type of coach he is.

The running game is having serious issues against non-P5 talent, so I share your worries fully. We averaged 2.6 ypc on Saturday, and nearly half of our paltry 126 rushing yards came from our quarterback. I don't care how much Babers trusts Strickland making adjustments at the line, he is not a P5 feature back, and as others have mentioned, I believe he really erred in forcing Fredericks out. This offense needs dynamic playmakers to be successful. Fredericks was one. Strickland, sadly, is not.

Edit: I also get that this is partially on the offensive line. They have been completely unimpressive against below average competition. Scary to think what will happen once we play the big boys.

Unfortunately now progress will need to be 5 wins, a serviceable running game/OL and a defense that doesn't allow 50 points a game like last year. I am hopeful that the D is indeed improved, not feeling great about 5 wins and I give up on the run game/OL

I'm tired of the losing seasons its bowl game or bust, and unless you think we are knocking off a top 15 team, we need to go 5-1 against those other teams.

As you said it was an ugly loss and I agree with that. You also pointed out some additional issues that the team needs to work on, all of which I agree with as well. Not trying to call you out but did you feel that we were well prepared for this game? To me the team did not seem prepared for a blitzing scheme which is puzzling but others might see it differently, which is fine.

MTSU is a mediocre team who I felt won the game on both sides of the ball (again my opinion only). They turned the ball over 3 times on the road and walked out with a 7 point win. After watching the first 2 games of the year I think we are going to struggle with a lot of teams on the schedule in the weeks to come. I think we can get wins over CMU and BC, maybe 1 more somewhere down the line. I don't think that is unreasonable.

I am worried about our receivers getting separation down the field against ACC level talent. Im also worried that the running game is also going to have some serious issues against P5 competition.

Is the sky falling and the world ending for this program? No. Its a rebuilding process which takes patience, especially in one of the toughest divisions in the country. Look at any program that had to rebuild, it take time. Im hoping for some surprises but realize this might very well be a tough year given our schedule. I think and hope Dino can get it done, but I personally need to see a lot more from him before I draw any conclusions on the type of coach he is.

very good post. I have faith in this staff, and they do need time. If you believe in a staff, you have to hang on. Like Indiana did with Wilson(until he got canned for non W-L stuff), like Duke did with Cutcliffe, like SU did with Coach Mac, etc. We play in the toughest division in college football with talent that is far below most of the ACC. After a lot of bad football the last 15 years, I certainly understand the pessimism of our fans, but to me it is clear that Dino is not GROB and he is not Shafer.

All that said, I agree with everything you say. I think we may be looking at a 4 win season again. the O-line is just brutal, and I don't think it will get much better, but hope I am wrong,

I'm tired of the losing seasons its bowl game or bust, and unless you think we are knocking off a top 15 team, we need to go 5-1 against those other teams.

yeah, best I can see is 5 wins, I cannot see us coming close against LSU, Clemson, FSU, Miami or Louisville. NC State would have to be the upset, and not feeling great about that one. I think it is bust unless we get to 5 and that gets us a bowl. Depends on our APR and a lot of luck in that case.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom