We aren’t that far off | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We aren’t that far off

Who we are playing? You mean the teams in our conference who we must be able to compete with to be successful. Are you suggesting we should leave this conference? Neither of the two teams we have played are exactly NC calibre, and I am not suggesting we can beat everyone all the time, but I expect us to be at least competitive on offense against anyone.

Last year starting the season with 2 roadies hurt. Offense couldn’t get a dome game to get in rhythm. Same thing despite no fans.

Give him a week with the ones and see how he does. If he plays the whole game OL gives up 2 sacks max.

dont need to, ive seen him throw the ball, he is not the answer, he might run the offense better than devito (who knows) but it is VERY obvious that he is not a good quarterback

Last year starting the season with 2 roadies hurt. Offense couldn’t get a dome game to get in rhythm. Same thing despite no fans.
We won the first road game last year, I was there. Against MD we were shite. At least this year we were not blown out. No I am sorry but we must be able to compete with conference teams, not always win but not be dysfunctional on offense.

agree except for rex, hes just too inaccurate
As I have said before against BC last game of the season in 2017 he was 24-34 for 280 yards and 2 TD. I was at that game so just because he threw a few bad passes in a short time in this game. It doesn't show he is inaccurate. The TD was on target, and the 1st pass was on target.

As I have said before against BC last game of the season in 2017 he was 24-34 for 280 yards and 2 TD. I was at that game so just because he threw a few bad passes in a short time in this game. It doesn't show he is inaccurate. The TD was on target, and the 1st pass was on target.

hope im wrong, but i dont see him as a long term (meaning for the entire season)/sustainable solution. kid has probably proved a lot of people wrong before so gladly be added to the list, if he gets his shot.

hope im wrong, but i dont see him as a long term/sustainable solution
By the way in that game ish dropped a pass right in front of me which would have been a third TD in the past half. Rex hasn't had many reps since that game due to cancer, and the move to Tight End. He knows the offense, and with his heart getting back into proper timing would give us a chance.

By the way in that game ish dropped a pass right in front of me which would have been a third TD in the past half. Rex hasn't had many reps since that game due to cancer, and the move to Tight End. He knows the offense, and with his heart getting back into proper timing would give us a chance.

i responded to you.

The title of this thread, “We’re not that far off,” sounds like gallows irony. But I think it’s actually true.
Our defense has a chance to be not only good, but outstanding. We have playmakers, blanket coverage guys, hitters and sure tacklers, relentless pass rushers and a defensive line that fights like hell. By far our best defense in years, with the potential to get better every week. This is a defense that can win us games,
The challenge for the defense last week was to play four good quarters, not three. And it did that, keeping us in the game until the end. And we did it with key guys such as the tremendously talented Steve Linton out with with injuries.
But you can’t win if you can’t score. And no defense can win if it is driven into exhaustion by an offense that can’t stay on the field.
That said, we had plays that make me think the offense can get better, much better, very quickly. One was a chip and flare move by Benson. Inexplicably, the ball was not thrown even though Benson was wide open and likely would have gained 30 yards or more. Luke Benson with the ball and room to run is a nightmare for any defense.
It’s not all on one guy. If we can start making these plays — low risk, high reward — I think our offense will get the spark it needs, like a golfer who finally sinks a clutch putt and starts to think he is going to make the next one instead of the opposite.

The title of this thread, “We’re not that far off,” sounds like gallows irony. But I think it’s actually true.
Our defense has a chance to be not only good, but outstanding. We have playmakers, blanket coverage guys, hitters and sure tacklers, relentless pass rushers and a defensive line that fights like hell. By far our best defense in years, with the potential to get better every week. This is a defense that can win us games,
The challenge for the defense last week was to play four good quarters, not three. And it did that, keeping us in the game until the end. And we did it with key guys such as the tremendously talented Steve Linton out with with injuries.
But you can’t win if you can’t score. And no defense can win if it is driven into exhaustion by an offense that can’t stay on the field.
That said, we had plays that make me think the offense can get better, much better, very quickly. One was a chip and flare move by Benson. Inexplicably, the ball was not thrown even though Benson was wide open and likely would have gained 30 yards or more. Luke Benson with the ball and room to run is a nightmare for any defense.
It’s not all on one guy. If we can start making these plays — low risk, high reward — I think our offense will get the spark it needs, like a golfer who finally sinks a clutch putt and starts to think he is going to make the next one instead of the opposite.
Tommy either doesn't see the field, has ptsd from getting pummeled or just doesn't have it. Rewatch the game. There were guys running open on multiple occasions.

Our defense has a chance to be not only good, but outstanding. We have playmakers, blanket coverage guys, hitters and sure tacklers, relentless pass rushers and a defensive line that fights like hell. By far our best defense in years, with the potential to get better every week. This is a defense that can win us games . . . .
The defense is a tad short of outstanding, giving up 21 points, and allowing Pitt’s offense to run the ball rather effectively. We lack a real big NT, can be pushed around in the red zone, and get to the passer occasionally but often allow a clean pocket and too much time for a passer to scan the field.
So, good but not outstanding, and better than expected. And much deeper than expected. There were 4 second team guys rotating in on the defensive line and helping. We have veteran stars in the secondary, supplemented by red-shirt freshmen and by Carter, a true freshman. It is an opportunistic defense, with Cisco and Jones leading in take-always.
Still, we absolutely need the offense to stay on the field and get something going. They have to run the ball effectively to offset the pressure and get into better down/distance situations. Can that happen? Not against d-lines of the caliber of Pitt and NC. Our OL has to win the battles against the likes of GT, Duke and Wake.

Tommy either doesn't see the field, has ptsd from getting pummeled or just doesn't have it. Rewatch the game. There were guys running open on multiple occasions.
How can you tell on tv?

Check out fizz and other free sites. They do a good job of breaking down plays. Personally i think Tommy is shell shocked from too many sacks the last 2 years.

Check out fizz and other free sites. They do a good job of breaking down plays. Personally i think Tommy is shell shocked from too many sacks the last 2 years.

I feel that if TD takes 50 sacks again and the fanbase considers him hot garbage...why stay at SU for his senior year. I think it's something he will consider.

The defense is a tad short of outstanding, giving up 21 points, and allowing Pitt’s offense to run the ball rather effectively. We lack a real big NT, can be pushed around in the red zone, and get to the passer occasionally but often allow a clean pocket and too much time for a passer to scan the field.

I don't know about that. Pitt only rushed for 127 and average 2.9 per carry.

My quibble would be our 3rd down Defense. Pitt converted 6 of 15 (23 first downs) and the QB primarily had a clean pocket. We didn't generate much pass rush and we didn't seem to bring much pressure (not sure why). Extra rushers and blitzing in college should be the norm. When we did come though Pitt seemed to pick it up rather easy.

On the flip side, we had 10 first downs and were a dismal 2-14 on 3rd. 171 total yards. We're teetering on Brian Pariani bad right now.

I don't think inserting Dakota and Pat Davis in that OL materially improves the offense, so yea, we're pretty far off...

Agree regarding Fizz.

This is like Thelma turning to Louise as the TBird went over the cliff and saying
"don't worry, we're close to another road".

Defense looks really good. LB A plus, secondary A. Would like them to not give so much of a cushion. With 5 dbs we should be jamming receivers at the line of scrimmage with help over the top. DL solid B plus. Dino hit a home run on D coach hires.
Offense. We have good RB. Need to look and play all options at wr. Use the TE. OL has a lot of issues but I feel TD contributes to their problems. Play calling has been suspect, but in rpo qb has several options and I do not think TD is able to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. So far Dino has struck out on offensive hire.

See now I think it will.
I hope so. Those guys were around last year and we had very similar issues. Will it improve the line simply because Elmore can move back to TE? Yes. Will it materially improve the offense? No.

Defense looks really good. LB A plus, secondary A. Would like them to not give so much of a cushion. With 5 dbs we should be jamming receivers at the line of scrimmage with help over the top. DL solid B plus. Dino hit a home run on D coach hires.
Offense. We have good RB. Need to look and play all options at wr. Use the TE. OL has a lot of issues but I feel TD contributes to their problems. Play calling has been suspect, but in rpo qb has several options and I do not think TD is able to make adjustments at the line of scrimmage. So far Dino has struck out on offensive hire.
`
I noticed you didn’t grade the offense...just wondering why... :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom