We aren’t that far off | Syracusefan.com

We aren’t that far off

CuseMan4

Starter
Listen, it’s obvious our offense was atrocious the first 2 games. There’s no denying that but I also don’t think the sky is falling. Yes, I think it’s hard to defend Dino in year 5 that this is the offense he runs out onto the field. But we have to remember we had no spring ball, fall camp was limited, we had our top 2 running backs opt out and our oline is full of injuries. How ever I don’t excuse Dino for the poor performance, he gets paid the big bucks to make us win. With that being said our defense and special teams, minus kickoffs have been great. To me there are 3 things that are keeping this team from being really, really good and they can all be fixed, most likely next year.

1) The oline has been terrible. If our oline was at least decent it would help the running game and help take some pressure off Tommy and the pass game. It would also help Tommy and give him the pocket he needs and the time he needs. A good oline goes a long way and our oline has been terrible. Luckily, with the last 2 classes it looks like help is on the way.

2) play calling, there is no denying the play calling bas been abysmal. Head scratching to say the least. Dino and Sterling NEED to get better at this. They just need too

3) the QB situation, I hate to say it and I don’t think it’s all Tommy’s fault but I’m starting to come around to the fact that he’s not very good. Hopefully one of the freshman this year develop, maybe we get a grad transfer for a year but we need a better QB. I wish we had a dual threat because it seems this offense is best with a dual threat.

That being said. I think our defense and special teams have been phenomenal. The 3 things holding us back, Oline, play calling and our QB can all be fixed. Granted it probably won’t be until next year. But if everything else stays at least the same next year and we can improve those 3 things to be AT LEAST average for next year. I think we win 8 games. Now let’s see if Dino and company are capable of doing that

This is kinda funny to read after finishing reading the topic about we're dead last in YPP haha.

Before this season started I wanted to see immediate improvement from either the offense or defense compared to last year. I was expecting it to be the offense as I'm sure most did but it looks like it'll be the defense that'll carry us.

I'm not too down on yesterday's game cause I didn't expect a ton of improvement after one week, especially against a good defense. But we need to see gradual improvement on offense week over week until the O-line gets healthy. Outside of a few new playcalls, the long TD pass and few nice runs, I didn't see much to get excited about.

The other thing - going from a schedule w 4 OOC wins nearly baked in, to being on the road vs consecutive Top 25 teams (ok, maybe Pitt actually isn’t, but their D surely is that quality) is like apples and walruses.

If ever a team needed those games to work out the kinks, it’s this team.
And we didn’t get that chance - and it really shows.

So, all of the “x & x W/L record and Dino should be:
fired/on the hot seat/whatever”
are just BS for this year.

The D is solid, the ST’s are also, so now it’s all about the changes & improvements our O makes over the rest of the season.

Having a few less formidable opponents on the upcoming schedule will help.
We have 3 “winnable” games, at home, over teams that are not littered with future NFL talent.

Time for Dino to earn his paycheck.
LFGO!!!!

We are DEFINITELY far off.
Our starting QB theew for 32 yards.
There is no help behind him and it’s not reasonable to expect any of the younger QBs to be ready by next season.

Once again we have ZERO OL depth

it takes time to solve these issues.

we are definitely far off

The other thing - going from a schedule w 4 OOC wins nearly baked in, to being on the road vs consecutive Top 25 teams (ok, maybe Pitt actually isn’t, but their D surely is that quality) is like apples and walruses.

The D is solid, the ST’s are also, so now it’s all about the changes & improvements our O makes over the rest of the season.

We have 3 “winnable” games, at home, over teams that are not littered with future NFL talent.

LFGO!!!!

With all due respect, after witnessing this complete incompetent and dysfunctional offense the past two games, I don't see how we would've had 4 "baked in" W's. My goodness, if that was indeed true, what does it say about those opponents? Would folks really be okay with, well, we got 4 W's, who the frig cares who we beat? :(

LFGO!!!!
You make good points with the lack of our non conference schedule. Who else has to play NC, Pitt, Clemson & ND on the road? Our schedule went from being manageable to being almost impossible.

So bad o line, bad qb, and bad playcalling/coaching. Not far off? We've been pointing to those 3 issues, (save for a couple Dungey years) since the end of Coach P's tenure. So we've been not too far off since roughly 2002.

I think if we can get a QB who just wants to get the ball out of his hands, this offensive line might gain some more confidence. I'll take Rex's quick trigger and inaccuracies over Tommy's hesitation and tuck any day of the week.

Admittedly, neither option is good for the offense, but that's the poison we should choose

I think if we can get a QB who just wants to get the ball out of his hands, this offensive line might gain some more confidence. I'll take Rex's quick trigger and inaccuracies over Tommy's hesitation and tuck any day of the week.

Admittedly, neither option is good for the offense, but that's the poison we should choose

agree except for rex, hes just too inaccurate

Solid special teams
Good D
Worst offense i have seen in 50 years.

Listen, it’s obvious our offense was atrocious the first 2 games. There’s no denying that but I also don’t think the sky is falling. Yes, I think it’s hard to defend Dino in year 5 that this is the offense he runs out onto the field. But we have to remember we had no spring ball, fall camp was limited, we had our top 2 running backs opt out and our oline is full of injuries. How ever I don’t excuse Dino for the poor performance, he gets paid the big bucks to make us win. With that being said our defense and special teams, minus kickoffs have been great. To me there are 3 things that are keeping this team from being really, really good and they can all be fixed, most likely next year.

1) The oline has been terrible. If our oline was at least decent it would help the running game and help take some pressure off Tommy and the pass game. It would also help Tommy and give him the pocket he needs and the time he needs. A good oline goes a long way and our oline has been terrible. Luckily, with the last 2 classes it looks like help is on the way.

2) play calling, there is no denying the play calling bas been abysmal. Head scratching to say the least. Dino and Sterling NEED to get better at this. They just need too

3) the QB situation, I hate to say it and I don’t think it’s all Tommy’s fault but I’m starting to come around to the fact that he’s not very good. Hopefully one of the freshman this year develop, maybe we get a grad transfer for a year but we need a better QB. I wish we had a dual threat because it seems this offense is best with a dual threat.

That being said. I think our defense and special teams have been phenomenal. The 3 things holding us back, Oline, play calling and our QB can all be fixed. Granted it probably won’t be until next year. But if everything else stays at least the same next year and we can improve those 3 things to be AT LEAST average for next year. I think we win 8 games. Now let’s see if Dino and company are capable of doing that
You are right about one thing, it can all be fixed. Why though was it not fixed before? This coaching staff is in year 5, and their best year was where they had seniors who were Shafer recruits. I am not saying Shafer was a great coach, but it was his staff that brought in those players. Mark me as now concerned that the Dino Babers era is not looking so good, and I hope you are right and he manages to fix this now sinking ship.

Inaccuracies lead to pick sixes and your WRs getting hurt on errant thrown balls.

You shouldn't need a dual threat QB for the offense to hum. The O line is the problem and will continue to be the problem unless Babers realizes the guys he brought in can't play at this level.

Inaccuracies lead to pick sixes and your WRs getting hurt on errant thrown balls.

You shouldn't need a dual threat QB for the offense to hum. The O line is the problem and will continue to be the problem unless Babers realizes the guys he brought in can't play at this level.
That doesn't help the rest of the season. If we need all new players on the offensive line (which I do not believe in the slightest) then we better just wait until 2022 to try and win.

Servais, Bergeron, and Vet have proven they can play at this level just last year. So did Dakota Davis. And Dino said that Elmore is a bright spot on the offensive line. Something changed when Gilbert came in, or Tommy just can't get the offense to function

Last edited:
That doesn't help the rest of the season. If we need all new players on the offensive line (which I do not believe in the slightest) then we better just wait until 2022 to try and win.

Servais, Bergeron, and Vet have proven they can play at this level just last year. So did Dakota Davis. And Dino said that Elmore is a bright spot on the offensive line. Something changed when Gilbert came in, or Tommy just can't get the offense to function

I said it in another thread, but he needs to get grad transfers and JuCO players who are hungry and capable. They can't run or pass block. What's the point of having size if they can't protect or create holes? Devito has been sacked double digit times already through two games. David Hale had an absurd star with sack to drop backs. Thankfully he's not made of glass.

I said it in another thread, but he needs to get grad transfers and JuCO players who are hungry and capable. They can't run or pass block. What's the point of having size if they can't protect or create holes? Devito has been sacked double digit times already through two games. David Hale had an absurd star with sack to drop backs. Thankfully he's not made of glass.

I don’t disagree but easier said than done and those guys don’t pan out necessarily even if they had previous success. So they aren’t always a plug and play player.

People also forget. There’s a lot less of those transfers and juco’s that are ready to start than HS recruits. So smaller pool = heavy competition for the type of players we need. There’s a reason we aren’t getting a ton of those players, it’s not like the staff hasn’t tried.

We can’t recruit a 5 star QB that’s never played CFB, we aren’t going to easily just grab a starting caliber QB with experience.

I saw some progress in playcalling, no TE's yet but, i) A screen pass that looked very well set up, should have punished the up the field D, not executed, ii) A swing pass to Jordan in the flat, trying to get him in space, iii) more off tackle runs, rather than pounding up the A gap.
This gruel, i know, for 5 years in. But some progress.

Our oline is not good outside of Harris and maybe Tucker we have high school level skill players. We have a shellshocked QB. We do have a pretty good defense but we are really far away.

Our oline is not good outside of Harris and maybe Tucker we have high school level skill players. We have a shellshocked QB. We do have a pretty good defense but we are really far away.

I can't help but feel like this OC is driving the bus in the wrong direction. Seeing us take a full clock late in the game down 2 scores shows me he has no clue. If Covid wasn't shrinking budgets I would hope that firing him wuld be a consideration. It helped our D big time last year making a change.

OL being putrid could be a function of who we are playing. More Tucker and OL not going against such tough D lines and improved QB play with less WR drops will make a big difference.

And I doubt we have a good QB on the roster after Devito who isn't working at the moment.

I can't help but feel like this OC is driving the bus in the wrong direction. Seeing us take a full clock late in the game down 2 scores shows me he has no clue. If Covid wasn't shrinking budgets I would hope that firing him wuld be a consideration. It helped our D big time last year making a change.

OL being putrid could be a function of who we are playing. More Tucker and OL not going against such tough D lines and improved QB play with less WR drops will make a big difference.

And I doubt we have a good QB on the roster after Devito who isn't working at the moment.
Who we are playing? You mean the teams in our conference who we must be able to compete with to be successful. Are you suggesting we should leave this conference? Neither of the two teams we have played are exactly NC calibre, and I am not suggesting we can beat everyone all the time, but I expect us to be at least competitive on offense against anyone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom