We better enjoy Waiters this year | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We better enjoy Waiters this year

Well the Houston fans may need to be told Jeremy Lin is on the Knicks right now. But your point is taken.

But how do we know that Jonny regrets his decision? It's no lock he would be any better of a player right now if he came back to school for another year.

I don't see any comparison to Andy, Eric, or Paul. No one on earth had those guys anywhere close to the lottery, there was no "hype" about them. I don't know Dion at all, but if there are multiple scouts/teams telling him he's a possible late lottery pick, he's probably going to go.

I should have been more clear. I said "are" instead of "were" when I meant were. When the Knicks claimed Lin off waivers from the Rockets (just before New Year's I believe), most Rockets fans wanted to keep Lin and cut JF (which would obviously never happen since I believe JF has a guaranteed money).

Also, what I meant by telling Dion to check with JF was: even if you are a lottery pick, nothing is certain and the jump to the NBA is real real hard.

Make more sense?

44cuse

Isnt Lin with the Knicks? Did I miss something?

Depends on what he wants.

Want a lot of money right now and a good life if you're smart with it? Great - declare for the draft.

Want a lot more money and a consistent, successful career that will set you and future generations of your family up for life? Then maybe you should stay another year or two, grow, develop, mature.

Can't really lose either way I suppose but one has a few advantages over the other.

Yes, he is with the Knicks but the they claimed him off waivers from the Rockets and most Rockets fans wanted to keep Lin over Flynn.

44cuse

Also hard to take this argument seriously when it seems pretty clear it's just because he wants Dion to play basketball for SU.

And the argument that one blown knee could ruin everything would be an argument to go and get paid ASAP.
Oh yes, cause that one year or 3 year paycheck is good enough to retire on after a career ending injury.Throw being a college drop out in and you should be set for life.

Btw, Lin is pretty terrible, from the 3 minutes I saw of him. So that's quite an indictment of Jonny.

The only way i could see dion coming back is if hes projected as a late 1st round pick and coming back and having a great junior year he'd vault himself into a lottery pick, ala kemba last year. If theres already talk of him being a lottery pick this year then hes as good as gone.

Isnt Lin with the Knicks? Did I miss something?

Depends on what he wants.

Want a lot of money right now and a good life if you're smart with it? Great - declare for the draft.

Want a lot more money and a consistent, successful career that will set you and future generations of your family up for life? Then maybe you should stay another year or two, grow, develop, mature.

Can't really lose either way I suppose but one has a few advantages over the other.
I know. Its too bad that guys like Kobe, Garnett, Melo, Howard, LeBron, Ginobli, Nowitzski, et al won't have enough money to take care of their families and the next generation. They should have gone to school and stayed at least 3 years. There are no guarantees one way or the other. People who want the kids to stay "for the kids own good" are lying to themselves. They want the kid to stay for the sake of their favorite team. Period. My life will not be impacted by Dion's decsion, one way or the other.

Right now, Dion is a very solid all-around player, yet he isn't great at any one thing. I don't know how well that translates into the NBA, where specialization is big. I think he needs another off-season to become really good at one thing, whether that be ball-handling or outside shooting is up to him.

I know. Its too bad that guys like Kobe, Garnett, Melo, Howard, LeBron, Ginobli, Nowitzski, et al won't have enough money to take care of their families and the next generation. They should have gone to school and stayed at least 3 years. There are no guarantees one way or the other. People who want the kids to stay "for the kids own good" are lying to themselves. They want the kid to stay for the sake of their favorite team. Period. My life will not be impacted by Dion's decsion, one way or the other.
HA,you named 5 guys that have made it,What about the hundreds/thousands whom didn't?

Btw, Lin is pretty terrible, from the 3 minutes I saw of him. So that's quite an indictment of Jonny.

"Terrible" would be kind to describe how Jonny looks in the NBA for the past 2 years. He didn't look good before the injury and really looks lost since he came back last season.

Wes Johnson and Jonny really shat the bed hard at the next level. Disturbingly bad.

Oh yes, cause that one year or 3 year paycheck is good enough to retire on after a career ending injury.Throw being a college drop out in and you should be set for life.

My neighbor is 42 and went back and got his degree at nightschool.

At 42, you can get your college degree. At 42, no basketball team is going to pay you millions to play. It would be sillier to give up the potential NBA earnings, which are only there for a limited time.

My neighbor is 42 and went back and got his degree at nightschool.

At 42, you can get your college degree. At 42, no basketball team is going to pay you millions to play. It would be sillier to give up the potential NBA earnings, which are only there for a limited time.
Or they could be there until your 1st practice ever in the NBA and you go down.Why not just get ur degree.What the frigging hell is the hurry.The hummer ,rolex and fancy house and shitty attitude can wait.

The shitty attitude can wait.
how long did you wait for yours?

I assume you are still waiting for the Hummer, Rolex and fancy house.

Or they could be there until your 1st practice ever in the NBA and you go down.Why not just get ur degree.What the frigging hell is the hurry.The hummer ,rolex and fancy house and shitty attitude can wait.
Drummond has insurance, I believe Luck did as well. If Dion was that worried about it he could go that route.

how long did you wait for yours?

I assume you are still waiting for the Hummer, Rolex and fancy house.
Not waiting for any of it .Don't need any of it.

If he leaves without a degree.THEN HE IS AN IDIOT!As is any college SPORTS PLAYER!!!Get a dam degree and be proud.OR DON'T AND NOT BE ABLE TO TALK IN ENGLISH THAT PEOPLE CAN UNDERSTAND!!!!
Crap. How did I get to the syracuse.com board?

Nor is quitting school in the 2nd year and going to the NBA.Then blowing out ur knee and being useless to the NBA and having no degree.
But Dion would have enough money tocome back to school and finish his degree ... Look at Emmitt Smith. He finished his degree after the season and after his career.

Crap. How did I get to the syracuse.com board?
OH boy.I said something someone doesn't agree with.I must be from the other board.Been on/reading this and the old board since its inception.You don't like my opinion then just move along.

But Dion would have enough money tocome back to school and finish his degree ... Look at Emmitt Smith. He finished his degree after the season and after his career.
Emmit Smith HAD A CAREER.Who is to say Dion or any other player leaving early will.Whats the percentage.I would think they are low.

You ever hear Melo try to talk? Does it really matter when he can pay others to speak for him?
Quite a cheap shot, especially considering your handle.

Melo's public speaking ability has improved greatly since he was at SU.

"Terrible" would be kind to describe how Jonny looks in the NBA for the past 2 years. He didn't look good before the injury and really looks lost since he came back last season.

Wes Johnson and Jonny really shat the bed hard at the next level. Disturbingly bad.

We're veering off at this point, but who cares. Lin could barely dribble the ball up the court against the Kings. I was embarrassed for him.

If he is assured a first round pick, he would be stupid not to go. I wish him well

If he is assured a first round pick, he would be stupid not to go. I wish him well
I'm not trying to rehash this point. But being assured of being a first round pick could mean 29th or 9th.

Didn't Donte have a promise in the early teens? He ended up falling. Promises don't mean that much.

My only concern is that if he's intent on leaving, and the rumors of his academic struggles are even close to accurate, he will leave us high and dry and we'll be screwed on the APR yet again. Only this time, they've raised the penalties and made disqualification from the NCAA tourney an option.

OH boy.I said something someone doesn't agree with.I must be from the other board.Been on/reading this and the old board since its inception.You don't like my opinion then just move along.
So here's a scenario... Dion comes back next year and breaks his neck after a G-town player undercuts him going for a dunk and can never play again. There goes his GUARANTEED 5 million dollars and money to support his family. He was studying in a Liberal Arts major with no job out of college, so he gets his degree and can't find a job. He becomes homeless and dies on the streets. Because he came back for one year of college to make people like you happy.

Nor is quitting school in the 2nd year and going to the NBA.Then blowing out ur knee and being useless to the NBA and having no degree.

College is supposed to prepare you for your career. I hope that Dion's career is in the NBA for a long time. If he is ready after two years, then he's ready and college did its job.