We Can Still Be Great | Syracusefan.com

We Can Still Be Great

mark79

Doughnut connoisseur
If we can get Marek playing with confidence like he did in the tournament last year, and we can shore up our defense, we can still have a great year.

I believe our defense will improve to last year’s level as I saw strong signs of it against Colgate. Until Colgate, we just haven’t been playing with enough intensity and “want to” on D but it may be clicking in now.

On offense, if they play man on us and Marek can show that he can make that 15-20 footer with consistency, it will greatly open things up in the middle for our slasher guards and forwards to penetrate as they did second half of Colgate (especially Tyus). But all of our guards and forwards can do it.

If they play zone, we will need our experienced guards to be disciplined enough to run the offense through Marek in the middle. I believe that his innate feel for the game and passing skills could quickly wreck a zone if we can get better at going though him consistently at the foul line.

I know that’s a lot of “ifs”, but with the addition of our strong bench, especially Jalen, we can do it. Under this scenario, I would start Marek at the 5. We might have some games where he is outmanned in there, but we could spell him with our two centers. I think that he may be the missing link again, just as he was last year.

Discuss.

Totally agree. Battle and Brissett are too good to struggle all year and won't. Just because Oshae hadn't made the jump in November doesn't mean he won't round out his game come March. Neither had a good summer we know that but it doesn't mean the entire season will be bad.

The surrounding pieces are in place if our stars play their best we are an extremely good team. All starts with those two and if one is off on a given night the other guy is going to have to have a monster game to make up for it.

Gonna be a real test in Columbus. Holtman is from that tough Butler M2M pedigree. They have a bunch of good guards from 6-1’-6’5. Not a lot of size but we don’t really do much in the post/paint. They will be similar to Buffalo/WVU. Our ballhandlers need to be sharp early and can’t come out in a malaise or else it will be over at H.

I agree. We need time. All of the injuries have really set us back.

If we can get Marek playing with confidence like he did in the tournament last year, and we can shore up our defense, we can still have a great year.

I believe our defense will improve to last year’s level as I saw strong signs of it against Colgate. Until Colgate, we just haven’t been playing with enough intensity and “want to” on D but it may be clicking in now.

On offense, if they play man on us and Marek can show that he can make that 15-20 footer with consistency, it will greatly open things up in the middle for our slasher guards and forwards to penetrate as they did second half of Colgate (especially Tyus). But all of our guards and forwards can do it.

If they play zone, we will need our experienced guards to be disciplined enough to run the offense through Marek in the middle. I believe that his innate feel for the game and passing skills could quickly wreck a zone if we can get better at going though him consistently at the foul line.

I know that’s a lot of “ifs”, but with the addition of our strong bench, especially Jalen, we can do it. Under this scenario, I would start Marek at the 5. We might have some games where he is outmanned in there, but we could spell him with our two centers. I think that he may be the missing link again, just as he was last year.

Discuss.

Agree. People forget that going into Colgate we had practiced together as a full team, with everyone in their natural position, playing their role, exactly 2 days of the prior 2 months of team workouts and preseason practice. 2!

Last I checked we have a HOF coach, a terrific home court advantage and a returning sweet 16 team. I think everyone knows we could make a run at any time. Still to start off 2-2 for the first time in 30 years just shows how spoiled Syracuse people are.

so far, none of our returnees is playing as well as they did last season, except for possibly sid. i would like to think as frank gets back to 100% and others get back to last season's roles that that will change. hughes is playing better in marek's role than marek did for most of last season. jalen is already better than any backcourt sub we had last season.

would love to see buddy break out and give us another dimension.

all in all, we do have unrealized potential, just have to keep improving until that potential is realized.

if we beat osu, we would be pretty close to being back on track.

[QUOTE="SoBeCuse, post: 2793569, member: 796"or else it will be over at H.[/QUOTE]

Down 30?

We need to see more than an win over Colgate to get excited about this team again but i do think the domino effect of Howard not being available and others having to play other than their intended roles has been a big part of the problem. Now players can find their true roles. I just hope we don't accumulate too many losses while they are still doing that. I don't like the trend of treating all games with equal importance. This time of year, teams are just becoming the teams they will eventually be. (I'll bet Izzo doesn't like it either.)

Howard was back, but he never tried to take the ball to the hoop. When the confidence in his ankle improves, we will see more action. Second half defense against Colgate was the first time it has been aggressive. Lessons to be learned.

[QUOTE="SoBeCuse, post: 2793569, member: 796"or else it will be over at H.

Down 30?[/QUOTE]

Just worried if they get down considerably at H like @ Wisconsin a few years ago then game over. Not sure this team has the firepower and mental toughness right now at this point of the season to overcome a poor start in a true road game. These guys really defend, too.

Yeah, not seeing great. We have offensively below average centers and below average shooting. Good defense that has the chance to be great.

It's early but if we can't come out and add a big non conference road win vs OSU the opportunity to be great dims a lot. A road win over a ranked OSU puts us back on the map and would be a huge confidence boost.

I love Marek but how good we can be strictly depends on our centers more than anything. Everyone else can be as good as we want but if we're depending on a 180lb Center lasting us through the ACC season we're in trouble

Chucwu - Giant Man
Brissett - Beast
Dolezaj - Iceman
Battle - Iron Man
Howard - The Vision

Hughes - Hawkeye
Sidibe - War Machine
Boeheim - Bucky Barnes (soon to be Winter Soldier)

Lawrinson14

Chucwu - Giant Man
Brissett - Beast
Dolezaj - Iceman
Battle - Iron Man
Howard - The Vision

Hughes - Hawkeye
Sidibe - War Machine
Boeheim - Bucky Barnes (soon to be Winter Soldier)

Lawrinson14
Is this for the starting lineup thread?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom