We did it! | Syracusefan.com

We did it!

SWC75

Bored Historian
When I changed my avatar to Brett Maverick last August, I established what I thought should be a (minimum) goal for the schools' athletic programs this school year:

"I don't normally make predictions, but I'll gamble and make one now: that after the first year in school history in which the football team, the men's basketball team and the men's lacrosse team all had losing records, each one of them will get back on the winning track this year.

In honor of this act of courage, I've changed my avatar to TV's most famous gambler, Bret Maverick."

With the formal exclusion of the SU men's lacrosse team from the NCAA tournament, the goal has been reached!

We made each step of the prediction by the skin of our teeth and we backed into each achievement but we did it! The football team started 6-0, then lost 6 of 7, including the bowl game but 7-6 is 7-6! The basketball team lost 5 of its last 6 games but finished 17-16 and 17-16 is 17-16! The lacrosse team lost its last two games and missed the NCAA tournament, (which was their real goal), to finish 8-7. But 8-7 is 8-7. And by not being in the tournament, they avoided evening their record at 8-8 if they went one and done.

The goals next year need to be higher: put all three teams in the Top 25 - not just the Top 25 in some random week but the final Top 25, which would put the football team in a good bowl game and put the basketball and lacrosse teams in the national championship tournament with good seeds.

It could happen: the football teams has a veteran quarterback and we still have one talented back-up. I love the receiving corps. LeQuint Allen may not be Sean Tucker but he looks like he will be a good, versatile back and Juwann Price will be a good back-up. I'm also intrigued by Ike Daniels. The defense looks strong from the line to the linebackers to the backfield. I think Brady Denaburg and Jack Stonehouse will gives us a good kicking game and Trebor Pena will be an exciting return man. We just need to put together and offensive line and get at least an even break on the injuries. If Judah Mintz comes back and Naheem McCloud decided to become and Orangemen, we could have a 7-4 guy surrounded by four top 50 recruits, (Mintz, Starling, Westry and Williams). Playing a more aggressive defense will hep, too. And the lacrosse team will have another year of maturity and another recruiting class to fill in the games. They could go from 4 to 8 to 10 or 12 wins.

I might keep Bret as my avatar and hope to make a post like this a year from now.

Of course it could happen but the administration has to continue to put lots of money into the program or programs. I should say they have to be competitive with their peers. The football team you know they have a few good things going form that we're recruitinbecause. I did not like at all. I've never seen by the numbers anything like that but who knows maybe there is a bunch of diamonds in the rough but they still have some good. Stars and some transfers coming in that r very Good.
The basketball team. I am very much anticipating so much that I don't even care that winter will be coming around that time. Really. Interested? In. Seeing? What. He? Can. Do and if he can we have some very good thiyes? That could come this season we have talent. There's no doubt about that, judah or no Judah

Of course it could happen but the administration has to continue to put lots of money into the program or programs. I should say they have to be competitive with their peers. The football team you know they have a few good things going form that we're recruitinbecause. I did not like at all. I've never seen by the numbers anything like that but who knows maybe there is a bunch of diamonds in the rough but they still have some good. Stars and some transfers coming in that r very Good.
The basketball team. I am very much anticipating so much that I don't even care that winter will be coming around that time. Really. Interested? In. Seeing? What. He? Can. Do and if he can we have some very good thiyes? That could come this season we have talent. There's no doubt about that, judah or no Judah
Oh and lacrosse they're just very very young and they are pretty much on their way. They are improving way better than they were the 1st year and I think next year they will continue to improve. I mean 1st of all we are in the best conference. The ACC is the best this season by far than any other conference, by far

When I changed my avatar to Brett Maverick last August, I established what I thought should be a (minimum) goal for the schools' athletic programs this school year:

"I don't normally make predictions, but I'll gamble and make one now: that after the first year in school history in which the football team, the men's basketball team and the men's lacrosse team all had losing records, each one of them will get back on the winning track this year.

In honor of this act of courage, I've changed my avatar to TV's most famous gambler, Bret Maverick."

With the formal exclusion of the SU men's lacrosse team from the NCAA tournament, the goal has been reached!

We made each step of the prediction by the skin of our teeth and we backed into each achievement but we did it! The football team started 6-0, then lost 6 of 7, including the bowl game but 7-6 is 7-6! The basketball team lost 5 of its last 6 games but finished 17-16 and 17-16 is 17-16! The lacrosse team lost its last two games and missed the NCAA tournament, (which was their real goal), to finish 8-7. But 8-7 is 8-7. And by not being in the tournament, they avoided evening their record at 8-8 if they went one and done.

The goals next year need to be higher: put all three teams in the Top 25 - not just the Top 25 in some random week but the final Top 25, which would put the football team in a good bowl game and put the basketball and lacrosse teams in the national championship tournament with good seeds.

It could happen: the football teams has a veteran quarterback and we still have one talented back-up. I love the receiving corps. LeQuint Allen may not be Sean Tucker but he looks like he will be a good, versatile back and Juwann Price will be a good back-up. I'm also intrigued by Ike Daniels. The defense looks strong from the line to the linebackers to the backfield. I think Brady Denaburg and Jack Stonehouse will gives us a good kicking game and Trebor Pena will be an exciting return man. We just need to put together and offensive line and get at least an even break on the injuries. If Judah Mintz comes back and Naheem McCloud decided to become and Orangemen, we could have a 7-4 guy surrounded by four top 50 recruits, (Mintz, Starling, Westry and Williams). Playing a more aggressive defense will hep, too. And the lacrosse team will have another year of maturity and another recruiting class to fill in the games. They could go from 4 to 8 to 10 or 12 wins.

I might keep Bret as my avatar and hope to make a post like this a year from now.
Thanks, SWC. You just got me pumped for the 2023-2024 seaons of all 3! Optimism! Along those lines, I was pleasantly surprised the oddsmakers put us as 6.5 for the over/under for wins in football. We were perennial 5-5.5s. Seems like we stuck there for years. Progress!

Every once in a while I go into the memory banks of the Football Recruiting Portal and take a look at this man to get a fresh perspective after all the portal stuff going on.

I just feel better looking at this portrait of a new defensive player who I hope isn't going anywhere but on or behind our D-Line. It just makes me feel better to know this man is going to crush it this fall. I imagine him picking up a running back trying to get through the line and driving him into the ground. Or watching him burst through the LOS throw aside any blocker and pancaking the QB.

AHHHHHHH. I feel better already.

PS. SWC - please stay with James Garner as your avatar. He was so good in a lot of things especially The Rockford Files

FP8szmXXwAkvESA

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom