We didn't get beat by the refs tonight ... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

We didn't get beat by the refs tonight ...

Silly, silly point. The game was a 2 pt game with 10 seconds left. The Duke D was very good. The point you miss is that our d was just as good. Duke was allowed to be a bit more physical tonight then what refs have allowed all season. Hands were on our players on drives to the hoop. No big deal to me. But what was a big deal is that the refs have been told that block charge calls that are not clearly on the offense are to be called on the defense. And with that and one, Duke's great defense you speak of, is one free throw from being behind.
Officials never think their calls can decide games. When a game is that close between 2 terrific teams, they definitely can.

What about the complete whiff on the duke guy bobbling the inbound throw. Pathetic

What do you expect - police officers back up bad cops when they do something wrong. Cowtown is a ref - so he backs up a bad call and bad reffing. We could have shot the ball better but refs can make calls that have a significant impact on the game. They did tonight and it helped decide the game. Sorry cowtown - you can't have credibility by making a post like this and not calling out the refs when they do a poor job.

Oh really? Go watch the presser and come back and tell me what Boeheim said about the officiating tonight. I'll wait right here.

"All lies and jest, still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest ...

Oh really? Go watch the presser and come back and tell me what Boeheim said about the officiating tonight. I'll wait right here.
you aren't serious with that, are you? He just got kicked out. He didn't think the officiating was good tonight. JB admit he lies. He has to be sensitive about getting thrown out for Monday's game.

Cowtown said:

You don't understand "saying the right thing" which then gave him the opportunity to say the charge was the worst call all year.

As was predicted pre-game and proven over and over, refs are crooks when at Duke.

I saw it. He was kind to the refs. But he said the final call was the worst call of the year. And you say it's 50/50 - so I'd say JB would not want you as a ref at any game he participated in. But the bigger issue I have with your post, is you seem to not want to admit that refs can have a significant impact on a game. And a call they make can decide a game. That happened tonight. Without a doubt we could have shot the ball better tonight and if we had, we may have won. But we also might have won if the ref had made the proper call at the end.

Now I may be taking your post the wrong way. But how you worded it by leading with the title saying we didn't get beat by the refs, relieves them of any responsibility for the end result. That is ridiculous. They need to be held accountable when they make a bad call.

You don't understand "saying the right thing" which then gave him the opportunity to say the charge was the worst call all year.

As was predicted pre-game and proven over and over, refs are crooks when at Duke.

It's possible there was some of that. It still doesn't mean he was wrong. If you think he was, tell me why.

I saw it. He was kind to the refs. But he said the final call was the worst call of the year. And you say it's 50/50 - so I'd say JB would not want you as a ref at any game he participated in. But the bigger issue I have with your post, is you seem to not want to admit that refs can have a significant impact on a game. And a call they make can decide a game. That happened tonight. Without a doubt we could have shot the ball better tonight and if we had, we may have won. But we also might have won if the ref had made the proper call at the end.

Now I may be taking your post the wrong way. But how you worded it by leading with the title saying we didn't get beat by the refs, relieves them of any responsibility for the end result. That is ridiculous. They need to be held accountable when they make a bad call.

How many balls did the refs put in the basket? None.

Here's a news flash, apparently: if you don't want to get beaten by a bad call or a buzzer beater, PLAY BETTER SOONER! We didn't. Our offense was poor again, much the same as the last two weeks. We shot 36 %(?) again! And we didn't have the same refs in those games, nor did we play the same teams.

Anyway, the problem then, is that the charging call on Fair, which was not a bad call in and of itself (it really was a 50-50)
You either didn't watch the call, didn't view it closely or are just a bad observer. Go back and watch it, focus on Rodney Hood's left foot, it NEVER FOR ONE MILLISECOND is set. If you look at the second angle, his right foot isn't set either. But the left foot was absolutely blatant and to not see that is absolutely unbelievable to me.

Bottom line we missed about 10 layups; that is what cost us the game. Make half those bunnies and we are not talking about refs. Although they were very bad.

I have complete faith In the refs taking the game over sooner had we made those layups. There was a spell of consecutive bad calls starting with the 4th on Baye that was impressive. Duke commtted 3 offensive fouls which were called as fouls om syracuse, a jump ball was called a foul on syracuse, and we go hacked going twice to the rim for no calls. 5 duke fouls and a jump ball was somehow turned into 4 fouls on Syracuse. It was the stuff of legend.

The rest of the post doesn't change the context of what I quoted. You said that was a 50-50 call. In the words of Jim Boeheim, that's BULLSHIT.
Dude, deal with the whole post. Don't cherry-pick. The whole post is there for a reason.

Bottom line we missed about 10 layups; that is what cost us the game. Make half those bunnies and we are not talking about refs. Although they were very bad.
Amen.

You can only control your own game.
And if made just a couple of those 2-footers we missed then this might have had a different outcome.

The officiating was suspect.
And the home team is usually going to get a few calls.

But it worked both ways.
It's easy to forget about that flagrant-1 that sent Gbinije to the line.
That was just an awful call.

If SU shot better, it wouldn't come down to a bad call. Refs make mistakes; they should admit to them. The ref screwed the call and greatly decreased SU's chance at a victory.
The fact it happened at Cameron in Duke's favor adds to the poor reputation of the ACC refs.

I'm guessing JB gets a fine or reprimand along with an acknowledgement that the incorrect call was made.

And for those who still want to disagree, check Bayside's post and watch the JB presser. He said the game was well officiated but for the inconsistency between the two block/charge calls. Which is exactly the position I took above.
Then why would Jay Bilas be constantly talking about the contact on SU players for so much of the second half? I watched phantom fouls , body checking our players as they were going by defenders and flat out takedowns with no calls against Duke for that. I have a different notion of what a well officiated game is I guess. Apparently so does the Duke grad, Jay Bilas.

JB had to tone down for the presser. He had made his point at the end of the game. Do you expect him to go over a laundry list of calls? Singling those two out, that were so obvious was the smart way to go.

I also respect your opinions except for when you come to the constant defence of bad officials. I think your pride in the work you do clouds your objectivity. Can we get you to work our next game at the Cameron Indoor sand box? That I could go for.

Cowtown said:

Did you really call another person out for "cherry picking" on one post and then seemingly seem to disregard not only context in this post, but also the fact that what he said was "it was the worst call of the year?"

Then why would Jay Bilas be constantly talking about the contact on SU players for so much of the second half? I watched phantom fouls , body checking our players as they were going by defenders and flat out takedowns with no calls against Duke for that. I have a different notion of what a well officiated game is I guess. Apparently so does the Duke grad, Jay Bilas.

JB had to tone down for the presser. He had made his point at the end of the game. Do you expect him to go over a laundry list of calls? Singling those two out, that were so obvious was the smart way to go.

I also respect your opinions except for when you come to the constant defence of bad officials. I think your pride in the work you do clouds your objectivity. Can we get you to work our next game at the Cameron Indoor sand box? That I could go for.

Thanks Paul, I appreciate your thoughts and viewpoint on this. We all have a different perspective, and no one's really always completely correct. Least of all me. I only put up here the thoughts I have in the interests of discussing basketball. It was a tough loss tonight, and a bad way to get beat. As I mentioned earlier, I could have lived with the call if it had been consistent with the one on Gbinije. Excelsior.

Did you really call another person out for "cherry picking" on one post and then seemingly seem to disregard not only context in this post, but also the fact that what he said was "it was the worst call of the year?"

{{{{What?}}}}

Cowtown said:
{{{{What?}}}}
Cowtown said:
Dude, deal with the whole post. Don't cherry-pick. The whole post is there for a reason.
From your response to sufanforeva

Point being you are/were concentrating on ond part of jb's presser (refs were outstanding) and taking that as OBVIOUSLY sincere but disregarding that he said it was the worst call of the year. On other words, cherry picking.

Let me make sure I'm understanding your point--so as long as bad calls even out, that makes bad calls acceptable?

Ref logic.

Deny it all you will, the logic of the referee is present in every game. It's how you deal with it that's important. and the sooner the better.

How many balls did the refs put in the basket? None.

Here's a news flash, apparently: if you don't want to get beaten by a bad call or a buzzer beater, PLAY BETTER SOONER! We didn't. Our offense was poor again, much the same as the last two weeks. We shot 36 %(?) again! And we didn't have the same refs in those games, nor did we play the same teams.

The ultimate bait and switch rationalization: if you don't want bad calls to impact the game's outcome, make a few more plays so that said bad plays don't harm you.

Doesn't alter that there was a bad call (s).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom