We didn't get beat by the refs tonight ... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

We didn't get beat by the refs tonight ...

Referees should be seen and not heard. They are there to enforce rules and provide structure to the game, not to determine the game's outcome.

Yeah, that's why they use whistles. Maybe they should use light switches and flick off the lights instead? :p

Yeah, that's why they use whistles.

There's nothing worse for college basketball than activist refs who calls the game abnormally, make a spectacle of themselves, and / or believe that they are part of the "show." We had to deal with several such personalities in the BE, and unfortunately there are 1 or 2 in the ACC as well.

Not suggesting that any of tonight's officiating crew fits that mold, but we got the short end of the stick consistently tonight. Too bad they didn't swallow the whistles you refer to above and let the players determine the outcome.

Last edited:
Cowtown, I tried to tell you man, it's the wrong time and you're the wrong person to be commenting on this right now.

Cowtown, I tried to tell you man, it's the wrong time and you're the wrong person to be commenting on this right now.
Wrong time, wrong person nothing. His left foot was moving! That is a BLOCKING FOUL.

I don't get the should-a, could-a stuff - if we make two more layups with 10 minutes to go in the first half we would have four more points and would have won, regardless of the remaining 30 minutes from that hypothetical scenario?

That would have just made the refs give Rak and Baye their 4th fouls earlier and allowed Duke to grab a little more. Can you justify s&%#y reffing if both teams play flawlessly for 38 minutes but make very crooked calls at the end? Bad calls are bad calls - period.

we got beat by Duke's defense, which outplayed our offense for most of the game. I'm more concerned about what other teams will take from watching this game, that we're beatable when other teams put good defensive players up in the grill of our guys.

That's why we got beat.

You are willing to just turn a blind eye to the constant hand checking and body checking throughout the first half and to be honest only moderately stopped in the second half. Go back and watch the game at the dome. Did you see even 25% of that type of defense being played by Duke? I don't think so. K knew he would get away with it at Cameron.

How am I the "wrong person?" Go ahead, amuse me. That's just bullshit, man. This whole thing is about discussing SU hoops and that's precisely what I'm doing. I'm sorry you can't handle views that dissent from the popular. Did you know the sun shines somewhere before you get up? There are two camps here: those who wack themseleves off in a state of orange delusion, and those who understand how basketball is played. You decide which camp you wish to reside in.

You are willing to just turn a blind eye to the constant hand checking and body checking throughout the first half and to be honest only moderately stopped in the second half. Go back and watch the game at the dome. Did you see even 25% of that type of defense being played by Duke? I don't think so. K knew he would get away with it at Cameron.

I'd suggest we didn't even watch the same game.

LMAO. So all of a sudden this Duke team has turned into the iron curtain. That is some funny spit right there.

Another laughably inconsistent job by the officials.

Also, isn't hand checking supposed to be a foul?

Cowtown said:
How many balls did the refs put in the basket? None. Here's a news flash, apparently: if you don't want to get beaten by a bad call or a buzzer beater, PLAY BETTER SOONER! We didn't. Our offense was poor again, much the same as the last two weeks. We shot 36 %(?) again! And we didn't have the same refs in those games, nor did we play the same teams.

That is such bs man. You can justify any horrific call at the end of a game by saying that. "Yea the refs completely butchered that call with 10 seconds left that would have given your team the lead, but you should have played better earlier in the game so the refs couldn't screw you at the end"

You should be better than that. Winning at Cameron is hard enough, most teams don't even have an opportunity to win at the end playing there. And yet it's fine for the refs to take away our opportunity to win cause we weren't up by 10 points by then, gotcha.

How am I the "wrong person?" Go ahead, amuse me. That's just bullshit, man. This whole thing is about discussing SU hoops and that's precisely what I'm doing. I'm sorry you can't handle views that dissent from the popular. Did you know the sun shines somewhere before you get up? There are two camps here: those who wack themseleves off in a state of orange delusion, and those who understand how basketball is played. You decide which camp you wish to reside in.
And there are those (you) who live in the referee bubble. If the title of your post had said something like, we didn't get beat only by the refs tonight or something similar, you would not have got the same push back you have tonight. If Tyler and Trevor had shot the ball better, we may have won the game. We may also have won the game if the ref had made the right call at the end etc.

All folks are asking here, is that you acknowledge that a referee's call can have an impact on who wins the game just as BMK missing a layup or Grant missing a mid range jumper. Without doubt, we need to shoot the ball better to win games. But saying a ref has never put the ball in the basket simply shows how much in the bubble you are. As another poster said, refs can take away points as they did with CJ tonight. Or they can reward points the other way with a bad call like the Flagrant 1 call in the first half Duke had called against them. The refs in those cases were directly responsible for the score of the game changing or not.

There are those who simply refuse to blame any part of a loss on the refs - at any time and say if the team only played better, it wouldn't have mattered what the refs did. But it does matter - they are part of the game and their decisions can have a significant impact on the outcome as it did tonight.

Just stop it. Please. Stop making excuses for the refs. You do it all the time. We all know you are a ref.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom