We go as our Seniors go | Syracusefan.com

We go as our Seniors go

Henny & Coke

2nd String
Couple quotes from Jim Boeheim to begin this thread:

"Your seniors have to lead you this time of year."

"The two guys that are going to take us anywhere are the two seniors."

I didn't want to make yet another "Why doesn't MCW play more" post without making it a little different, because I feel this oft-repeated question has become somewhat of an annoyance to some to read over and over. People are quick to point to the number of wins Coach has as an example that he knows what he is doing, which I do not disagree with. But I'd also be lying if I said I completely understand why MCW has played less and less minutes recently even though both he and the team have played well in those few instances that he is given playing time.

OK, so of the many reasons why Coach would continue to play Scoop Jardine (instead of allowing MCW to get 8-10 minutes) although he has not been playing well the past 3 or so games (he trusts in his experience, he wants his leadership on the court, MCW is more of an "unknown" quantity, etc)...here is the question that I struggle with: Could the reason "Scoop has earned this playing time by doing all the right things the past 5 years and really being a great ambassador for this program, and thus, he is owed the opportunity to lead this team as far as possible, win or lose" be a legitimate reason? If Coach does feel this way at all, should this factor into his decision in determining playing time at this point? Honestly, I can see how that makes a little sense, that Scoop has earned the right to be out there, even when he's not playing well...but if winning is the only thing that matters, then this should not be a factor at all, right? It should only be about what players will give Syracuse the greatest chance to win each game. And it is by that logic that I question why Syracuse has gone from playing more guys more often (like the first half of the year), to tightening up the rotation like we have seen the majority of the second half of the year. And more specifically, to me, it seems that the games that MCW has played meaningful minutes have been games that Syracuse has been more dominant. (even if I try to adjust out the thinking that sometimes MCW would only get meaningful playing time in "blow out" situations.) I believe the offense runs a little better with him facilitating...he has a great sense of floor spacing, often dribbling to one area and drawing a defender where he wants so he can pass to an open teammate, and I also feel like he is the best at getting our big guys involved. He also plays with a lot of intensity, and excels at doing the "little things" within the game that help the team be successful.

(Another thought that has crossed my mind is that Coach has been so vocal in his defense of Scoop this year that he feels he has essentially "picked a side" on the Scoop debate...and that means he wants to be "right" about Scoop being a better player than most give him credit for. But I don't think Coach would let something like that determine playing time...just so he could be "right" and prove others wrong. But I have to admit, it does cross my mind from time to time, knowing how much JB seems to hate when people question his decisions at times.)

In thinking about the quotes again, part of me wants to respond to JB, "yes, your right, this team will go as far as our seniors take us...but it doesn't necessarily have to be like that! You do have control over the situation...in that, there are other talented players you have at your disposal. It is not a rule that senior players have to play in every meaningful situation...in fact, today's college basketball shows that younger players can often have a big impact on successful teams." To me, Syracuse played so well when we were going 10 deep and everyone was getting decent minutes. Everyone seemed more engaged and fresher, and it seemed like they wanted to make the most of the minutes they did have out there playing. Yes, there is some truth in the fact that we were playing lesser teams when subbing so often, but I don't see what it would have hurt to have tried playing like that even into the second half of the season against tougher teams...and if it really was holding us back & not working, then fine, tighten-up the rotation. But at least we'd know for sure that playing all our guys more often isn't the best way. I really can't think of a game we got far behind because of subbing too much.

But it is what it is now. I don't expect MCW to get much time outside of maybe our first round game. I just hope that Scoop and Kris can figure out what is ailing them recently and come into the next few weekends refocused and motivated. They have been great players and people for our program and I truely appreciate all the work they have done over the years to make Syracuse Basketball what it is today. But I just can't shake this fear that come next year, when we can really see how good MCW (and maybe even RAK) can play when given more playing time, there may be a temptation to look back to this year and wonder "why were we letting Scoop try to play through his mistakes so much when we had a talented player on the bench who may have been having a much better day? That makes no sense!" Hopefully, JB's win number will be 6 higher at that point, and the regret will be that we could have won the Championship by even more than we did, therefore making it inconsequential and proving JB right after all (won't be the first or last time I'm sure).

if jb continutes to play scoop even though its obvious its a "bad scoop" game we'll get bounced, no doubt in my mind. thats honestly my #1 fear heading into the tournament, that jb is gonna be stubborn and will go with his "trust my seniors" motto regardless of how bad scoop is playing.

Over/Under on how many times the question/comment "Can someone please remind me why MCW didn't get any playing time last year?" will be asked on these boards next year?

I say 500.

Wow. I just read that post (must've missed it last weekend) and thought you'd written it tonight. That says something about the substitution problem.

if jb continutes to play scoop even though its obvious its a "bad scoop" game we'll get bounced, no doubt in my mind. thats honestly my #1 fear heading into the tournament, that jb is gonna be stubborn and will go with his "trust my seniors" motto regardless of how bad scoop is playing.

How the heck was today a bad scoop game? He had one questionable shot in the second half--granted--but otherwise really stepped up. He wasn't even "bad" in the first half, just didn't do much [like several of his teammates].

I criticize Scoop [and Kris] for not coming out snorting brimstone to start the game, and waiting until the second half to step up.

But tonight was not a bad scoop performance by any means.

Bump.

I knew I'd want to revisit this post & see how I feel during the 2012-2013 season, & thats what I did today. Gotta say I have some mixed feelings looking back.

Full disclosure: I really try not to be the kind of "reactionary" fan who simply observes the current level of play of a player (like MCW or Southerland even) & assumes he could have played exactly like that a year ago. And I also value the intangibles that come with playing experienced, veteran players.

But it still does nag at me a bit...the question that I ask myself when I reflect on last season...did Syracuse somewhat "limit" their full potential by going "all in" on the play of their seniors (Scoop & Joseph)?

And, now knowing a little more about the talent that was on the bench, & knowing that the last 3 teams these guys (Scoop & Joseph) played on (SU's teams prior to last year) never advanced further than the Sweet Sixteen game in the NCAA tournament?

What do you do with that information? Do you take the fact that Scoop & Kris were apart of teams that were consistently winning big in the regular season & at least winning a game or two in the Tournament in years past & conclude that you gotta roll with them because at least you know the team is gonna win a game or two in the upcoming (2012) Tournament (because the vets give you a reliable consistency in their play), & hopefully the other guys like Dion or Fair have good/great games and you go a little further?

Or, do you take that info & conclude that maybe by playing Scoop & Kris so much & letting their play determine how far Cuse advances limits just how far Syracuse is able to advance...that even though you know their past performances will at least get Cuse to the Sweet Sixteen game, but that past performance has also indicated they may not be capable of leading the team to the Final Four? (Or, did Scoop & Kris not have large enough roles on those teams that you could legitimately conclude such a thing?)

By playing guys like MCW or Southerland more last year (when it really counted), guys who are less "known quantites" (which may lead the team to an early Tournament exit, but may also spark a deep run) do you give the team a higher "ceiling" (meaning their pure talent level raises the collective team's potential performance ceiling, even if the predictability of performance is more variable) & a little better chance that the team advances further in the NCAA Tournament?

I don't know what the "right" answer is, or even if there is one. If I'm JB, I don't think I could change much about a team that won as many games as SU did last year, so I may have rolled with the same players playing about the same minutes.

But, I do realize that, even though it may ensure Cuse doesn't get knocked out in that first weekend of the Tournament, it may not provide the highest odds that my team could win it all come March.

Senior Scoop > Frosh MCW

I dont like talking badly about KJo but he did not have a good tourney and choked in multiple ways during the Oh St game. Southerland had a great tourney and really was coming into his own at that time. Maybe a few more mins his way would have helped us.

Senior Scoop > Frosh MCW

I dont like talking badly about KJo but he did not have a good tourney and choked in multiple ways during the Oh St game. Southerland had a great tourney and really was coming into his own at that time. Maybe a few more mins his way would have helped us.

Agree. Don't want to disparage a senior who had a lousy final college game. He's more upset about it that we are. But I'd have liked to see more South against Ohio State. Given his foul trouble that night, I don't know that it was in the cards.

Agree. Don't want to disparage a senior who had a lousy final college game. He's more upset about it that we are. But I'd have liked to see more South against Ohio State. Given his foul trouble that night, I don't know that it was in the cards.

He fouled out...most of the calls were BS! He fouled out in 11 mins!

Any one that thinks playing both of those players wouldn't have helped is lying to themselves. JS clearly had more upside than Joseph. Joseph did nothing well the last month of the season. Many of you know that I think MCW was the best player on the team last year. Now even if you don't believe that's true, I would wager that none of you think it was beneficial to that team that he remained with his ass on the bench the entire tournament. There is no doubt he could have helped the team down the stretch. He was a very talented player that should have gotten time. Tell me that's not true.

Any one that thinks playing both of those players wouldn't have helped is lying to themselves. JS clearly had more upside than Joseph. Joseph did nothing well the last month of the season. Many of you know that I think MCW was the best player on the team last year. Now even if you don't believe that's true, I would wager that none of you think it was beneficial to that team that he remained with his ass on the bench the entire tournament. There is no doubt he could have helped the team down the stretch. He was a very talented player that should have gotten time. Tell me that's not true.
How do you think it was going to help? Do you think we would have beaten OSU? I don't.

A question for you. What outcome do you think may have been more likely if MCW was given time during the NCAAT: that SU would have beaten OSU, or that SU would have lost that first round game?

Jb plays to win the game at hand. Not to play guys based on potential or upside.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Jb plays to win the game at hand. Not to play guys based on potential or upside.

Truer words have never been spoken.

Couple quotes from Jim Boeheim to begin this thread:

"Your seniors have to lead you this time of year."

"The two guys that are going to take us anywhere are the two seniors."

I didn't want to make yet another "Why doesn't MCW play more" post without making it a little different, because I feel this oft-repeated question has become somewhat of an annoyance to some to read over and over. People are quick to point to the number of wins Coach has as an example that he knows what he is doing, which I do not disagree with. But I'd also be lying if I said I completely understand why MCW has played less and less minutes recently even though both he and the team have played well in those few instances that he is given playing time.

OK, so of the many reasons why Coach would continue to play Scoop Jardine (instead of allowing MCW to get 8-10 minutes) although he has not been playing well the past 3 or so games (he trusts in his experience, he wants his leadership on the court, MCW is more of an "unknown" quantity, etc)...here is the question that I struggle with: Could the reason "Scoop has earned this playing time by doing all the right things the past 5 years and really being a great ambassador for this program, and thus, he is owed the opportunity to lead this team as far as possible, win or lose" be a legitimate reason? If Coach does feel this way at all, should this factor into his decision in determining playing time at this point? Honestly, I can see how that makes a little sense, that Scoop has earned the right to be out there, even when he's not playing well...but if winning is the only thing that matters, then this should not be a factor at all, right? It should only be about what players will give Syracuse the greatest chance to win each game. And it is by that logic that I question why Syracuse has gone from playing more guys more often (like the first half of the year), to tightening up the rotation like we have seen the majority of the second half of the year. And more specifically, to me, it seems that the games that MCW has played meaningful minutes have been games that Syracuse has been more dominant. (even if I try to adjust out the thinking that sometimes MCW would only get meaningful playing time in "blow out" situations.) I believe the offense runs a little better with him facilitating...he has a great sense of floor spacing, often dribbling to one area and drawing a defender where he wants so he can pass to an open teammate, and I also feel like he is the best at getting our big guys involved. He also plays with a lot of intensity, and excels at doing the "little things" within the game that help the team be successful.

(Another thought that has crossed my mind is that Coach has been so vocal in his defense of Scoop this year that he feels he has essentially "picked a side" on the Scoop debate...and that means he wants to be "right" about Scoop being a better player than most give him credit for. But I don't think Coach would let something like that determine playing time...just so he could be "right" and prove others wrong. But I have to admit, it does cross my mind from time to time, knowing how much JB seems to hate when people question his decisions at times.)

In thinking about the quotes again, part of me wants to respond to JB, "yes, your right, this team will go as far as our seniors take us...but it doesn't necessarily have to be like that! You do have control over the situation...in that, there are other talented players you have at your disposal. It is not a rule that senior players have to play in every meaningful situation...in fact, today's college basketball shows that younger players can often have a big impact on successful teams." To me, Syracuse played so well when we were going 10 deep and everyone was getting decent minutes. Everyone seemed more engaged and fresher, and it seemed like they wanted to make the most of the minutes they did have out there playing. Yes, there is some truth in the fact that we were playing lesser teams when subbing so often, but I don't see what it would have hurt to have tried playing like that even into the second half of the season against tougher teams...and if it really was holding us back & not working, then fine, tighten-up the rotation. But at least we'd know for sure that playing all our guys more often isn't the best way. I really can't think of a game we got far behind because of subbing too much.

But it is what it is now. I don't expect MCW to get much time outside of maybe our first round game. I just hope that Scoop and Kris can figure out what is ailing them recently and come into the next few weekends refocused and motivated. They have been great players and people for our program and I truely appreciate all the work they have done over the years to make Syracuse Basketball what it is today. But I just can't shake this fear that come next year, when we can really see how good MCW (and maybe even RAK) can play when given more playing time, there may be a temptation to look back to this year and wonder "why were we letting Scoop try to play through his mistakes so much when we had a talented player on the bench who may have been having a much better day? That makes no sense!" Hopefully, JB's win number will be 6 higher at that point, and the regret will be that we could have won the Championship by even more than we did, therefore making it inconsequential and proving JB right after all (won't beihty the first or last time I'm sure).
Here is the fly in your ointment: It is almost a truism that players in our system improve the most between being a freshman and a sophomore. Therefore you are making a false comparison. Secondly, we only saw MCW in oppprtunities on which JB knew he could flurish. Thirdly, did you not see MCW give up 6 points in the last 2 minutes due to sloppy ball handling. Fourthly, Arkansas sucked as a defense. Fifthly, we haven't played anyone yet that anyone on this team shpuld be bragging about beating.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

I knew I'd want to revisit this post & see how I feel during the 2012-2013 season, & thats what I did today. Gotta say I have some mixed feelings looking back.

Full disclosure: I really try not to be the kind of "reactionary" fan who simply observes the current level of play of a player (like MCW or Southerland even) & assumes he could have played exactly like that a year ago.

I understand that you say you try not to be reactionary but your first sentence completely contradicts that by admitting that you planned to revisit this post, months later, during this season.

The truth is, the title of your original post was spot on. No coach in the country would have supplanted his senior, leading scorer with a streaky role player nor his 5th year senior point guard with an untested, inexperienced (albeit talented) freshman.

A poor performance by a senior leader obviously doesn't help the team's cause but the result of last year's tournament had much more to do with the ineligibility of a certain someone than with who JB chose to start and play down the stretch.

This year is MCW's and Southy's time to shine. They knew it then and they know it now.

Here is the fly in your ointment: It is almost a truism that players in our system improve the most between being a freshman and a sophomore. Therefore you are making a false comparison. Secondly, we only saw MCW in oppprtunities on which JB knew he could flurish. Thirdly, did you not see MCW give up 6 points in the last 2 minutes due to sloppy ball handling. Fourthly, Arkansas sucked as a defense. Fifthly, we haven't played anyone yet that anyone on this team shpuld be bragging about beating.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

Please add that MCW has not made a jumper yet this season ( slight exaggeration) and Scoop hit huge shots in close games all season last year!

Saying that MCW should have played more last season because he is so good this year is like saying Fab should have played more his freshman season because he was so good his sophomore season.

Look Joseph flat out sucked at the end of the year last year. Playing him more than JS was not going to win the game at at hand and the same goes to for MCW.

I am amazed that anyone who has followed SU basketball for more than five minutes cannot grasp this concept.

I am also amazed at the revisionist history being written about a 34-3 season.

Saying that MCW should have played more last season because he is so good this year is like saying Fab should have played more his freshman season because he was so good his sophomore season.
I think you guys believe that JB always makes the right decision and it's just not true. Joseph at the end of last year was flat out terrible but JB was going to leave him on the floor no matter what. That was a coaching mistake. He had another option but chose to stick with one that wasn't working.

You guys that think that JS and MCW became much better players during the off season are either blind or dillusional. They had the same talent last year and it was there in plain sight.

I am amazed that anyone who has followed SU basketball for more than five minutes cannot grasp this concept.

I am also amazed at the revisionist history being written about a 34-3 season.
That's a foolish statement. Hopefully all coaches play to win the game at hand, that's what they are paid to do.

Look Joseph flat out sucked at the end of the year last year. Playing him more than JS was not going to win the game at at hand and the same goes to for MCW.
Please, Mr. Hindsight, explain how you are so certain playing Southy over Joseph would have made a difference. And please explain how you would have integrated MCW into that backcourt and how he would have been a difference maker in the NCAAT.

They didn't have the same talent last year not even close. James three point shot arc was much higher and he shot 33% for the season making 1 out of three taking 110 total. He went off 9-14 last game alone. Hes making 3.6 per game this year and taking 6, Half his shots instead of 1/3.
Not even close.
And MCW couldnt get by his guy nearly as easy last year, and was much more shaky.

JB builds future players during the season with some court time. If you want to win and get top talent sometimes your top talent has to fill gaps when they are raw. You can't go 15 men deep usually.

Please, Mr. Hindsight, explain how you are so certain playing Southy over Joseph would have made a difference. And please explain how you would have integrated MCW into that backcourt and how he would have been a difference maker in the NCAAT.
I would be glad to. Let's start with that JS a better defender and rebounder. He also wasn't the turnover machine that Joseph was. Lastly I also thought he was a betteer scorer. Sorry if these facts were obvious to me and they weren't to you. I saw what I saw and I'm sorry if some find this offensive.

With MCW I saw a player that had a skill set that I had not previously seen in an SU uniform. I'm thinking that I wasn't blind he's exactly the player I thought he was. i can respect the fact that maybe JB really didn't play him because he didn't want him to jump to the NBA and be left without a guard for this year. For those that think he wasn't the talent he is now weren't watching the games.

I think you guys believe that JB always makes the right decision and it's just not true. Joseph at the end of last year was flat out terrible but JB was going to leave him on the floor no matter what. That was a coaching mistake. He had another option but chose to stick with one that wasn't working.

You guys that think that JS and MCW became much better players during the off season are either blind or dillusional. They had the same talent last year and it was there in plain sight.

Fans are dillusional when they believe every lost is the coaches fault or some different decision would have changed the outcome. Sometimes you just lose and anyone arguing that JS should have played more IN A GAME HE FOULED OUT OF and the was a coaching issue does not understand basic logic. The COACH wanted him to play more but the RULES OF THE GAME prevented that for happening!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom