We have something here | Syracusefan.com

We have something here

albanycuse

Dion Waiters
We have ourselves a pretty damn good basketball team. The Freshmen dont look like inexperienced players they play more like seasoned veterans. Our defense is back as well and a major player in our wins.

Frank is a much better version of himself and I think he finally figured out how to run a team. He showed he’s a threat to score and must be defended. At the same time his defense is much improved as well. I don’t even recognize him anymore lol.

I love this team. It seams like they genuinely like each other.

I believe a lot of people loved last years team to. Maryland is a middle of the pack Big ten team st this point so let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Our shooting isn’t very good but defense is way better than last years. We shall see...

Best part about it is that we just started scratching the surface tonight.

The entire rotation from Battle to Moyer is oozing with unfulfilled 2017-‘18 potential. We can and will be better by March.

Without question they are off to a better start than I thought possible.

They have the makings of a team that can hold its own in ACC play.

I think it's pretty obvious that this team plays together more than last year's did and plays harder.

Better defense is making up for some offensive deficiencies. If they can find a way to make some shots, they could be a real pain to play.

I believe a lot of people loved last years team to. Maryland is a middle of the pack Big ten team st this point so let’s not get ahead of ourselves. Our shooting isn’t very good but defense is way better than last years. We shall see...

Dude, I get that UMD is likely only solid and that six wins doesn't a season make. But remember that there were a lot of posters -- myself included -- that were wondering if this might have been a 14/15-team this season and they certainly look much better than that at least in terms of ceiling. Also, it's worth mentioning, that many here thought this recruiting class was an abject disaster outside of Brissett and maybe Sidibe, yet Dolezaj looks like a legit factor this year. And Frank Howard, who most wanted run off campus this past offseason, has played really solid basketball so far.

I agree that we don't know exactly what we have but it's hard not to be excited after that W.

Maryland is much better than that. They have a lot of talent. They’re young, too, and will get better as the season goes on, similar to Cuse. They’ll be a top 5 Big 10 team.

Last year’s team didn’t have an out of conference win against any team from a major conference outside the ACC. We’re already a step ahead. And Maryland is significantly better than the UConn, Georgetown and St. John’s teams we lost to last year.

And they’re fun to watch. I can handle scoring droughts when they don’t stop playing defense.

Theyre very talented. Doesn't matter where they finish in the B1G - that team has players and I doubt we face too many teams with a dude that has a shooting game like Huerter last night (the only reason we didn't win by double digits)

Last year’s team didn’t have an out of conference win against any team from a major conference outside the ACC. We’re already a step ahead. And Maryland is significantly better than the UConn, Georgetown and St. John’s teams we lost to last year.

And they’re fun to watch. I can handle scoring droughts when they don’t stop playing defense.

It is a really fun team to watch. Even with some scoring droughts the fewest points we have scored is 71. Previous seasons, when we struggled, it was in the 50s and I don't need to say what a struggle it was to watch. And the previous teams who said it was nearly impossible to rebound out of the zone. After watching this team huddle, as Desi would say "Lucy! You've got some splaining to do!"

Comparing preseasons, this team is like the antithesis of last year's team. They're off to a good start -- need to keep it rolling.

Comparing preseasons, this team is like the antithesis of last year's team. They're off to a good start -- need to keep it rolling.

The weird thing was last year's team absolutely rolled the cupcakes. I'll take any win over a middle of the road B1G team and a 20 point win over Colgate versus a 50 point win against Colgate and a 35 point loss to St. John's in a game that wasn't even that close.

The weird thing was last year's team absolutely rolled the cupcakes. I'll take any win over a middle of the road B1G team and a 20 point win over Colgate versus a 50 point win against Colgate and a 35 point loss to St. John's in a game that wasn't even that close.

That's a good point about last year's team against the cupcakes. That's usually the sign we have a really good team when we win those games as easily as we did and one of the reasons I got way out of control with my optimism at that point.

Defense and guard play tops outside shooting. Add in better rebounding and what appears to be more aggression, cohesion, and hustle - chances are you will be better. Last year's team doesn't win last nights game.

Defense and guard play tops outside shooting. Add in better rebounding and what appears to be more aggression, cohesion, and hustle - chances are you will be better. Last year's team doesn't win last nights game.

Amen.

I don't think a lot of people loved last years team. Tolerated it or hung with it because it was Syracuse, but love it? For me it was one of the least likable teams I've seen take the floor.
This years team is totally at the other end of the likability spectrum. I can't wait from one game to the next to see what new improvement will show up plus just seeing how much this team wants to play together to win.

Theyre very talented. Doesn't matter where they finish in the B1G - that team has players and I doubt we face too many teams with a dude that has a shooting game like Huerter last night (the only reason we didn't win by double digits)
I say we win by double digits if Battle is 100%, regardless of what Huerter does. He wasn't just limited on offense. He wasn't able to close out or rotate on defense like we're accustomed to either. Gutty effort, no question.

I don't think a lot of people loved last years team. Tolerated it or hung with it because it was Syracuse, but love it? For me it was one of the least likable teams I've seen take the floor.
This years team is totally at the other end of the likability spectrum. I can't wait from one game to the next to see what new improvement will show up plus just seeing how much this team wants to play together to win.

I don’t think that it’s a statement necessarily about the individual players but more about their lack of cohesiveness as a team last year. There were 2 grad students we needed who only had 1 year to make their mark but who it appeared were never totally accepted by their teammates. Too many players seemed unhappy accepting their roles. There were players wanting/needing the individual spotlight to achieve their personal goals to concentrate on any conflicting team goals. It sure appeared to result in dysfunction and a team whose individual parts were better than than their team results- in other words not a true team. Add in the Hop equation etc and it had to be a difficult year for everyone.

So happy that this year the team has totally reset and decided in order to get individual recognition, respect - that they need each other and need to battle all 40 minutes to get it. Fun watching these kids work hard, stay focused, develop individually and as a team.

Dude, I get that UMD is likely only solid and that six wins doesn't a season make. But remember that there were a lot of posters -- myself included -- that were wondering if this might have been a 14/15-team this season and they certainly look much better than that at least in terms of ceiling. Also, it's worth mentioning, that many here thought this recruiting class was an abject disaster outside of Brissett and maybe Sidibe, yet Dolezaj looks like a legit factor this year. And Frank Howard, who most wanted run off campus this past offseason, has played really solid basketball so far.

I agree that we don't know exactly what we have but it's hard not to be excited after that W.

The great equalizer is a hall of fame coach

The biggest test to compare to last year's team won't be the Kansas game. It'll be Uconn and Georgetown. We lost to those mid major dregs last year. Wins this year will prove something is different.

frank is so close to, if not already, making the scoop leap from junior to senior...this should be fun

In what sense? Scoop’s per 40 numbers are pretty consistent from soph thru senior seasons. I’d actually say it’s an interesting parallel to z sims. Not identical but no one thought z could play after three years. Then he unleashed a really impressive senior seasons.

Last year’s team was my least favorite of all time. They lacked any sort of team chemistry and played like a few guys auditioning for the NBA. This team is different...they play like a time and they play like they actually like one another. They will win 20, I predict...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom