We have won 6 of our last 8 games | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

We have won 6 of our last 8 games

My recollection of that season is different than yours. I remember the consensus being that we needed to win the Big East tournament that year.
If we lost to Cincy we probably would have been out. After beating Cincy we were probably in. After beating #1 UConn we were a stone cold lock. The G'town and Pitt wins were just for seeding at that point.

You’re not getting technical, you’re getting overly specific. If that’s how you want to play it, then you should have conceded this debate a long time ago.

I believe it was Eric who said any time an SU team needs to win the conference tournament to get into the NCAA tournament, it was a bad season. That’s the standard I’m going by here. My recollection of that season is different than yours. I remember the consensus being that we needed to win the Big East tournament that year. Maybe it was only two or three wins. Maybe three wins would have been enough last year. No way to know for certain.

Sure, you can argue that the 05-06 team was better and had a tougher schedule. College basketball as a whole was better back then. All things being equal, we’re talking about two teams that didn’t do enough during the regular season. That’s a more fair analogy than the guy who brought up vacated wins and the weather.
You have no clue if the 05-06 team did enough in the regular season.
That is a fact.
The 19-20 team for sure didn’t do enough in the regular season.

If we lost to Cincy we probably would have been out. After beating Cincy we were probably in. After beating #1 UConn we were a stone cold lock. The G'town and Pitt wins were just for seeding at that point.
The Cincinnati noon game was seen as a play-in game.
Cincinnati didn’t get in after losing.
We had a slightly better resume than Cincinnati but had split with them in the regular season and the winner was considered a lock.

That’s fine by me. I don’t need to make the comparison to 05-06. There wasn’t a tournament last year either way.

I’m from Missouri when it comes JB making moves for the roster.
I’ll believe them when I see them.

I really don’t see a guard coming here via transfer. That is why I thought HS was a smarter route. A transfer will want instant playing time a non-top 100 HS kid like Buddy or Joe would be more inclined to wait a season on the bench.
I'm not bothered by no 2 this cycle. We have Buddy and we have Joe. I doubt either leaves.

I'm not bothered by no 2 this cycle. We have Buddy and we have Joe. I doubt either leaves.
I hear ya I just want to see the possibility that we don’t have non-superstar players playing superstar minutes.
An actual rotation. I just hope next season we actually see the 3 guards play close to equal minutes like Triche-Jardine-Waiters.

I hear ya I just want to see the possibility that we don’t have non-superstar players playing superstar minutes.
An actual rotation. I just hope next season we actually see the 3 guards play close to equal minutes like Triche-Jardine-Waiters.

I don’t think that will ever happen again regardless who is here. I’ve been banging the drum a lot lately, but 76 year old Jim Boeheim is a different coach from 60 or 65 year old Jim Boeheim. I maintain if 2021 Jim Boeheim coached the 2003 to 2005 Syracuse Orange we would have Hakim Warrick as our center in a small ball style lineup.

I agree on “superstar minutes” being for, well...superstars.

Not really looking for a 22-24 minutes each even split either though. Would rather see: 30, 30, 20. Or even 33, 32, 15.

I don’t think that will ever happen again regardless who is here. I’ve been banging the drum a lot lately, but 76 year old Jim Boeheim is a different coach from 60 or 65 year old Jim Boeheim. I maintain if 2021 Jim Boeheim coached the 2003 to 2005 Syracuse Orange we would have Hakim Warrick is our Center in a small ball style lineup.

Agreed. Carmelo, Gerry, and Warrick would all go 40. Edelin and Duany would go 35. Pace would get 10.

I don’t want to hear anything about missing the tourney four times out of seven seasons. That’s nonsense.
Explain how you’re not being rigid and inflexible.

You are the one choosing to ignore/disregard that if COVID had failed to exist (saving us so to speak) there was a very high probability of missing the Dance last season. And, if we do end coming up on the short end of the stick this year, that indeed would've been 4 out of the last 7 seasons. Therefore, it really isn't nonsense at all to make such an argument. You can certainly choose to tune it out as you seemingly have, but again, a majority of folks who follow the program closely can indeed see that logic/rationale being made.

Moreover, and along those lines, we've become a middling program over the same time period. A program that hasn't been ranked in the Top 25 come January during the regular season since 2014. A program no longer chasing conference titles and high tourney seeds, etc., but rather clawing and scratching just to get in the Dance...our new normal.

You are the one choosing to ignore/disregard that if COVID had failed to exist (saving us so to speak) there was a very high probability of missing the Dance last season. And, if we do end coming up on the short end of the stick this year, that indeed would've been 4 out of the last 7 seasons. Therefore, it really isn't nonsense at all to make such an argument. You can certainly choose to tune it out as you seemingly have, but again, a majority of folks who follow the program closely can indeed see that logic/rationale being made.

Moreover, and along those lines, we've become a middling program over the same time period. A program that hasn't been ranked in the Top 25 come January during the regular season since 2014. A program no longer chasing conference titles and high tourney seeds, etc., but rather clawing and scratching just to get in the Dance...our new normal.
Actually, I have acknowledged that. I said a few posts ago that last year’s team didn’t do enough during the regular season.

But there wasn’t a tournament last year, yet you continue to insist we missed something that never happened. So again, explain how you’re not being rigid and inflexible.

Actually, I have acknowledged that. I said a few posts ago that last year’s team didn’t do enough during the regular season.

But there wasn’t a tournament last year, yet you continue to insist we missed something that never happened. So again, explain how you’re not being rigid and inflexible.

Please show me where I “insisted we missed something that never happened.” Perhaps your rigidity has also impacted your reading comprehension here as well.

What I have stated, is that if COVID didn’t happen last year, causing an ensuing unprecedented historical occurrence, that the ‘probability’ of SU not making the Dance was very high.

Thanks goodness the tournament was cancelled last year. We weren’t getting an at-large last season.

Continue this point for no reason. You won’t wear me down.

To update the thread title, we have won 6 of our last 11 games.

(the pessimist in me always adds one game if someone says we have won x out of y games. In this case, 6 of 8 wins was also 6 of 10 wins)

Do any of the critics here take time to consider what it does to a team's psyche and momentum to have a game cancel the day of the game, and in the case of the last game, when you have flown to the site? It can't be good and I would think it leads to a flat first have in the succeeding game.
Genius.

6-2 against these teams, worst teams in the league. NC ST was without there leading scorer for both games. These teams have a combined record of 38-55.

looking back...great post, nailed it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom