We have won 6 of our last 8 games | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

We have won 6 of our last 8 games

You're screaming at a brick wall about the guard argument. People act like recruiting is the only reason we are losing games. I happen to think our strategy and in game coaching is a bigger issue.
If people don’t speak up when we have the same guards the next 2 years playing 35+ then people complaining are haters.

I am speaking up now to be consistent. I don’t think our current roster is good enough to compete for conference titles or NCAA titles.

Thus it would make sense to try and bring in talent to make the team better. If this program is going to be the status quo then we better hope Benny Williams is special. I don’t see a center coming in so Ansalem better be ready.

I am talking to the wall because we have people not you or anyone in this thread but they ignore our problems and anyone who brings them up are haters.

Our HC is 76. Is he content with the status quo?

You know what else I cannot say. Last night when I went to bed, there wasn't any snow on the ground. However, when I woke up this morning, there was snow. So, it's reasonable to conclude that although I cannot say that I actually (literally) saw it snow, it indeed snowed. Same general premise here. The NCAA tournament didn't occur last year, however, had it not been for something so extreme and unprecedented in modern history, the high probability existed for SU not to Dance. Therefore, apprised fans/reasonable folks that follow the program closely can grasp the 4 out of 7 year argument.
But you saw the snow. Did you see a tournament champion last year? Was it Dayton? Gonzaga? Did UVA repeat? No, they all played the same number of tournament games we did.

It’s a disingenuous argument. And you know it.

But you saw the snow. Did you see a tournament champion last year? Was it Dayton? Gonzaga? Did UVA repeat? No, they all played the same number of tournament games we did.

You know the point being made and want to get technical to fight it.
We weren’t one of the best 37 at-large teams last season and you know it.

the loss of Sidibe is the single biggest reason this season isn’t as successful as we’d hoped. A 100% healthy Sidibe all season would have completely changed the complexion of this team in several ways. He finished last year with 6 straight double doubles. Anything close to that would have been a huge help along with having more size inside and a player who would have been our best run protector. A real shame for both him and the team.
Big loss but having that much stake in a decent player (albeit important for our team the way it’s constructed) with prior injuries also sort of proves the point.

Big loss but having that much stake in a decent player (albeit important for our team the way it’s constructed) with prior injuries also sort of proves the point.
If Sidibe wasn’t hurt who would be sitting more?
Between Marek, Quincy, Alan and Buddy?
How much would Sidibe be playing?

We don’t have a center to start or even play this year per the head coach. How is the roster full.

I think we should really consider Anselem a 2021 prospect. I just went back and researched and he was ranked about 50 before he reclassed to 2020. With his athleticism we need him to be our answer at the 5 going forward.

You know the point being made and want to get technical to fight it.
We weren’t one of the best 38 at-large teams last season and you know it.
Then make an honest argument. Say it was a bad season. Criticize the losses and the conference record. But don’t say we missed a tournament that never happened.

Does UVA have the rare distinction of losing to a 16, then winning it all, then missing the postseason altogether? Of course not. If Kansas makes the tournament this year, will it be for the 31st time in a row? Obviously.

Then make an honest argument. Say it was a bad season. Criticize the losses and the conference record. But don’t say we missed a tournament that never happened.

Does UVA have the rare distinction of losing to a 16, then winning it all, then missing the postseason altogether? Of course not. If Kansas makes the tournament this year, will it be for the 31st time in a row? Obviously.
Such a strange hill to die on. Very odd.

Agreed. Let's be honest, ND sucks. The second half was awesome, no doubt, but why was it even necessary to have to mount a comeback such as that?
ND doesn’t “suck.” Hyperbole much. They’re bad on defense but top 20 nationally in offensive efficiency.

I honestly wasn’t upset with last season. It was a team that improved and had a winning season.
It wasn’t an NCAAT team and I am thankful I think we will make it this year.
Just because the tournament wasn’t played doesn’t mean we all know we weren’t a tournament team last year.

If Sidibe wasn’t hurt who would be sitting more?
Between Marek, Quincy, Alan and Buddy?
How much would Sidibe be playing?

pretty much everyone would get less minutes.

Does JB also realize we need more than 1 shooting guard on the roster and actually recruit some other guards for the future?

Or is that a lazy played out narrative as well.
We have Joe and Buddy to play SG. How many shooting guards do you want if Kadary is at the point? I think the issue is that you want a different SG in that spot. I just don’t think that’s realistic at this point unless Buddy transfers. I don’t know why you’re so worried. We’ll land a top 50 or 100 SG for 2022 to come in once Buddy graduates. Probably Taylor. And hopefully Copeland at PG.

We have Joe and Buddy to play SG. How many shooting guards do you want if Kadary is at the point? I think the issue is that you want a different SG in that spot. I just don’t think that’s realistic at this point unless Buddy transfers. I don’t know why you’re so worried. We’ll land a top 50 or 100 SG for 2022 to come in once Buddy graduates. Probably Taylor. And hopefully Copeland at PG.
I want an actual rotation. Not all-in on one guy. You go all-in for superstars.

ND doesn’t “suck.” Hyperbole much. They’re bad on defense but top 20 nationally in offensive efficiency.

they also started out with a tough schedule even if some of those teams aren’t as good as they usually are. Michigan St, Kentucky, Ohio St, Duke, Purdue, UVa. All before the 1st of the year. Plus they had the long pause.

yep.

Joe Biden Reaction GIF by Election 2020

No it isn't. Actually, it's you that is being precisely that by being so rigid and inflexible on the broader scope. Go ahead though and proceed as you wish hanging your hat on us not missing the Dance last year. An apparent COVID silver lining relative to SU hoops, at least in that specific regard.

No it isn't. Actually, it's you that is being precisely that by being so rigid and inflexible on the broader scope. Go ahead though and proceed as you wish hanging your hat on us not missing the Dance last year. An apparent COVID silver lining relative to SU hoops, at least in that specific regard.
Explain how you’re not being rigid and inflexible.

I honestly wasn’t upset with last season. It was a team that improved and had a winning season.
It wasn’t an NCAAT team and I am thankful I think we will make it this year.
Just because the tournament wasn’t played doesn’t mean we all know we weren’t a tournament team last year.
All we can do is speculate. Our regular season was on par with 05-06. That team made the tournament. Last year’s team had the same opportunity and we’ll never know what would have happened. Some teams like us got lucky last year. Other teams like Dayton got screwed.

There wasn’t a tournament, period. Next month, Kansas isn’t going to say they made the tournament for the 32nd consecutive year, even though they would have. The streak will be 31 years and that’s all there is to it.

Why don’t we have a guard?
We get the ranking we get.
I don’t get how we can expect atleast 3-4 departures and only have 1 commit for next year.
Not many people have been more upset at our recruiting than me. Having said that, there is now a second recruiting year. It's the grad transfer and now, likely the transfer market. We can get guys if we need them. I don't know how many departures we will have. I think the coach doesn't even know. And that makes it very difficult to make any decisions. 2022 is the year the staff is targeting. If we need players, there will be plenty available after the season is over.

All we can do is speculate. Our regular season was on par with 05-06. That team made the tournament. Last year’s team had the same opportunity and we’ll never know what would have happened. Some teams like us got lucky last year. Other teams like Dayton got screwed.

There wasn’t a tournament, period. Next month, Kansas isn’t going to say they made the tournament for the 32nd consecutive year, even though they would have. The streak will be 31 years and that’s all there is to it.
No 05-06 played a meat grinding Big East.
2019-2020 played in an okay ACC

The 05-06 team played Number 1 seeds UConn and Villanova 4 times in the regular season.

The 05-06 team was a bubble team that needed one win in the Big East tournament to lock up a bid.

The 19-20 team wasn’t even on the bubble and had to beat Louisville, and 2 other teams to get the automatic bid.
The situations aren’t the same.

If 05-06 lost to Cincinnati we may not make the tournament but if there were 4 extra bids like now in the tournament they might have still gotten in.
The 05-06 team had a SOS that was top 5 in the nation. We played the eventually national champions in MSG in November of that season and almost beat them.

Last season was a medicore team that won 1 game against NCAAT teams in Virginia.

The situations weren’t the same. If you want to get technical I can go technical what I say is informed.

Not many people have been more upset at our recruiting than me. Having said that, there is now a second recruiting year. It's the grad transfer and now, likely the transfer market. We can get guys if we need them. I don't know how many departures we will have. I think the coach doesn't even know. And that makes it very difficult to make any decisions. 2022 is the year the staff is targeting. If we need players, there will be plenty available after the season is over.
I’m from Missouri when it comes JB making moves for the roster.
I’ll believe them when I see them.

I really don’t see a guard coming here via transfer. That is why I thought HS was a smarter route. A transfer will want instant playing time a non-top 100 HS kid like Buddy or Joe would be more inclined to wait a season on the bench.

No 05-06 played a meat grinding Big East.
2019-2020 played in an okay ACC

The 05-06 team played Number 1 seeds UConn and Villanova 4 times in the regular season.

The 05-06 team was a bubble team that needed one win in the Big East tournament to lock up a bid.

The 19-20 team wasn’t even on the bubble and had to beat Louisville, and 2 other teams to get the automatic bid.
The situations aren’t the same.

If 05-06 lost to Cincinnati we may not make the tournament but if there were 4 extra bids like now in the tournament they might have still gotten in.
The 05-06 team had a SOS that was top 5 in the nation. We played the eventually national champions in MSG in November of that season and almost beat them.

Last season was a medicore team that won 1 game against NCAAT teams in Virginia.

The situations weren’t the same. If you want to get technical I can go technical what I say is informed.
You’re not getting technical, you’re getting overly specific. If that’s how you want to play it, then you should have conceded this debate a long time ago.

I believe it was Eric who said any time an SU team needs to win the conference tournament to get into the NCAA tournament, it was a bad season. That’s the standard I’m going by here. My recollection of that season is different than yours. I remember the consensus being that we needed to win the Big East tournament that year. Maybe it was only two or three wins. Maybe three wins would have been enough last year. No way to know for certain.

Sure, you can argue that the 05-06 team was better and had a tougher schedule. College basketball as a whole was better back then. All things being equal, we’re talking about two teams that didn’t do enough during the regular season. That’s a more fair analogy than the guy who brought up vacated wins and the weather.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom