We need football players | Syracusefan.com

We need football players

ImperialOrange

Living Legend
When DM got here he stated we were the smallest and the slowest in the BE so we went out with the intent of getting athletes to close that gap.

Athletically, our team is no longer badly outmatched but we look like what we are... a bunch of project players who we coveted due to size/speed measurements. While it worked to get us back to competitive (today aside), we now need to focus on getting some football savvy players. I was hoping coaching would result in players learning to be that, but aside from a select few, it seems like a bit of a pipe dream right now.

Added to that is the fact that the players we lost from last year were mostly ok-good athletes size/speed wise but all were football smart. Nassib, Lemon, and Shamarko were all just good football players. Perhaps coming from PA, MD, and VA had a lot to do with them being further along in HS?

We all love to look for diamonds in the rough in recruiting but as of right now too many just look rough. Having some advanced (mentally) players around them might go a long way but a majority our surrounded with guys who had similar HS coaching deficiencies.

I'm not knocking the guys we have because, win or lose, they put forth the effort but I'm hoping the next injection from recruiting are more football savvy vs pure athletes. IMHO that's the next step we need to make.

When DM got here he stated we were the smallest and the slowest in the BE so we went out with the intent of getting athletes to close that gap.

Athletically, our team is no longer badly outmatched but we look like what we are... a bunch of project players who we coveted due to size/speed measurements. While it worked to get us back to competitive (today aside), we now need to focus on getting some football savvy players. I was hoping coaching would result in players learning to be that, but aside from a select few, it seems like a bit of a pipe dream right now.

Added to that is the fact that the players we lost from last year were mostly ok-good athletes size/speed wise but all were football smart. Nassib, Lemon, and Shamarko were all just good football players. Perhaps coming from PA, MD, and VA had a lot to do with them being further along in HS?

We all love to look for diamonds in the rough in recruiting but as of right now too many just look rough. Having some advanced (mentally) players around them might go a long way but a majority our surrounded with guys who had similar HS coaching deficiencies.

I'm not knocking the guys we have because, win or lose, they put forth the effort but I'm hoping the next injection from recruiting are more football savvy vs pure athletes. IMHO that's the next step we need to make.
Our DC didn't give us a chance today. Period.

You can not fall behind against an option team and hope for success. What did we leave our base 4-3 for something we never play. Really, really bad decision. Arguably, a firing decision.

HCSS can say what he wants about letting the OC and DC make the decisions but today was a disaster.

Time for him to get more involved on both sides of the ball. The decision to go to a 3-4 was unbelievable especially when it forced Hodge into the starting lineup along with Kirkland.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom