We need to lower our expectations. | Syracusefan.com

We need to lower our expectations.

jec1521

2nd String
This year is a rebuilding year. We just assumed we could lose Fair, Ennis, and Grant and "reload" because we did it a couple of times before. It's not happening this year (it seems)

I would be very happy with a NCAA birth at this point. I think that's the best case scenario right now.

For what it is worth, I think we will be a better team by march. How much better is up in the air.

Elite programs don't have to rebuild. You make tweaks and recruit to diminish weaknesses. If we wan't to be part of that tier of programs then we can't put this lack of offensive talent on the court.

Orange Rust Belt said:
Elite programs don't have to rebuild. You make tweaks and recruit to diminish weaknesses. If we wan't to be a part of that tier of programs then we can't put this lack of offensive talent on the court.

The staff flopped with the sophomore class and were caught off guard with Ennis and Grant leaving early.

But I'm starting to question their recruiting practices and judge of talent.

The staff flopped with the sophomore class and were caught off guard with Ennis and Grant leaving early.

It's worth questioning. The point guard situation is perfectly understandable. The two guard/small forward situations, not so much.

Elite programs don't have to rebuild. You make tweaks and recruit to diminish weaknesses. If we wan't to be part of that tier of programs then we can't put this lack of offensive talent on the court.

Most people won't like this, but I don't think we are elite...

jec1521 said:

But if we're not, we should be...and who's fault is that?

I think we were close to getting there, and there is nothing wrong with NOT being elite, but we're just not close to the Kentucky's and Dukes.

jec1521 said:

We're a football school. Oh wait...

44cuse

Ghost said:
It's worth questioning. The point guard situation is perfectly understandable. The two guard/small forward situations, not so much.

Buss was playing key minutes in crunch time today.

A year ago, the staff was questioning why they recruited him.

cuseguy said:

I think that's more of an indictment on joseph, if anything.

Too many years of lousy shooting guards. Guards that are lousy at shooting, I mean. Fine with the zone, whatever, but don't let it dictate recruiting

Played key minutes but he wasn't good.

two3zone said:

That's the point I was trying to make.

Our judge of talent and recruiting has been so misguided that a guy who was considered an outcast got key minutes today.

Yeah I didn't really understand all the Buss-love going on in the game thread. I mean, that alley loop to CM was very exciting, but he shot 2-9 and 1-7 from deep.

Jake said:
16-15, hosting an NIT game. Maybe 17-14. If we get to 20, jb should be COY.

I had 20-11, but I was being generous.

I figure 18-13 now, being generous.

Thank you. The BJ/Roberson class has turned into a really bad group. BJ made a couple nice plays today but overall he looks in over his head right now. I was told Roberson was going to be a better Grant by this point and when he's actually on the court he looks like he should be playing for Sisters of the blind. We can't hit on every recruit but it looks like we took a leap backwards with that class

Yeah I didn't really understand all the Buss-love going on in the game thread. I mean, that alley loop to CM was very exciting, but he shot 2-9 and 1-7 from deep.

He is active on defense but nothing I saw that makes him HAVE to be on the court, he was blown by a few times just like everybody else out there. The attempted oop towards the end of the game in traffic wasn't the smartest play either. 2-9 and 1-7 would have gotten Cooney lynched around here, now it sounds like Patterson is a savior with those numbers and "defense". Kaleb isn't the best PG in the nation but he does need to play, he is by far the best point guard we have even if it is by default.

I just listened to JB's presser and it sounds like Joseph wasn't out there because of his 3 point shots, which makes sense because he was pulled after a quick three and never returned.

Thank you. The BJ/Roberson class has turned into a really bad group. BJ made a couple nice plays today but overall he looks in over his head right now. I was told Roberson was going to be a better Grant by this point and when he's actually on the court he looks like he should be playing for Sisters of the blind. We can't hit on every recruit but it looks like we took a leap backwards with that class

To be fair Ennis is a part of that class and he's in the NBA. But I don't disagree with the rest of your statement.

Kentucky is the best program in college basketball right now and they went to the NIT 20 months ago.

Fair enough, but I guess what i'm referring to are elite teams that don't turn over the entire roster every single year. I'd take a trip to the NIT once every 4 years if it meant we had a fantastic shot at a championship the other 3. Everyone on this board would take that, and anyone who wouldn't is kidding themselves.

Fair enough, but I guess what i'm referring to are elite teams that don't turn over the entire roster every single year. I'd take a trip to the NIT once every 4 years if it meant we had a fantastic shot at a championship the other 3. Everyone on this board would take that, and anyone who wouldn't is kidding themselves.

I'd trade NIT 3 years in a row for a championship game every 4, don't even have to win all of them, I'll take a 25% winning percentage. in the championships too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom