We really need Frank back | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

We really need Frank back

CuseinVT is hallucinating, imagining or hoping for Frank bashing when there is none.

I guess this is part of his effort to present himself as positive to offset all his whining about JB being mean to the Press.

Doesn't that worry you?

Frank is going to be the savior and the glue that keeps the whole thing together?

I sure hope so, but I keep getting flashbacks of lazy cross-court passes that were turned into fast breaks the other way.

Frank as the spoon that stirs the drink? I guess we better hope so.

I'd qualify that statement as negative and a bash.

What is there about "Big Time College Athletics" and "the value to the University in the millions of dollars" that you don't understand?

What is it about the difference between a classroom exercise and the real thing that escapes you?

Were you traumatized by adult criticism as a youth?
No. I just think he could do things differently, especially considering the value that Newhouse has for the university.

I'll try and go slow for you.

Frank is a good player. But, in the past he has had "handle" problems and turnover problems.

And he's been out of practice and game action for an extended period.

Given that, what should the SU fan's expectations be?

That's my point. But, you seem not to be able to grasp that. Instead, that's Frank-bashing?
And then some how twisting this to look like an attack on JB because It's JB that's putting him in the games.

It's all terribly transparent. Go argue with someone dumber.
This post is classic. The 2nd sentence you literally proved everything VT has been saying. You can't even say Frank is a good player and stop. You put in questionable handle and turnover prone which I'm not sure how that equates to something being good when they are a pg.

Someone correct me if I’m wrong— didn’t frank return to some activity and conditioning weeks ago, but just returned to practice the other day?

One thing I don't understand is how Syracuse basketball actually makes all the money and the football program loses money. That is probably my favorite hot take you have ever had. Could you explain that one more time. I need a good laugh.
Sure.

But I'm going to stick with Variable revenues and costs because the Allocation of Fixed is so fraught with potential games you can play. You will never be able to understand the NCAA numbers because you don't know what is in them. (How should we allocate the costs of the Dome or the Athletic Department?)

These are all "roughly right" wild-assed guesses, but they probably aren't wildly off.

Let's start with the basics like attendance.

SU basketball has averaged 25,000 fans for a while. They play 20 or so home games. That's 500,000 ticket buying, beer drinking, Dome Dog eating, and parking fans.

Football plays 6 games and draws 35,000 fans (?). That's 210,000 attendees or about 300,000 less than BB. The BB tickets are cheaper, but the price of the Dome Dogs is the same. (300,000 fans is a lot of fans!)

Then there's the COST (which is why Catholic schools like St Joes love basketball)

Staffing:
Football Staff is 30+ coaches, supports staff, etc. not counting graduate assistants
Basketball staff is 6 people
What's the cost of the 24 additional staff members for football? (24 x $75K would be about $2,000,000)

Scholarships:
The Cost of Attendance at SU is $50K a year. BB has 9 scholarship players, that's $450,000 a year.
Football has almost 10 times that or $4,500,000 a year. That's about $4 million more)

Someone once told me, half in jest, that you could run a college basketball program for about what the football program spends in athletic tape.

So the idea is that for SU, almost uniquely in college athletics, makes more profit from basketball than football.

Thread officially hijacked.

So tiresome.
oneup.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors