We really need Frank back | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

We really need Frank back

I miss Frank as well, but let's get real. He will not come back as a savior, it will probably be a few weeks at least from when he first gets on the court until he really gets his mojo back.

Best short term bet is probably to hope Jalen can come on fast as PG.

I miss Frank as well, but let's get real. He will not come back as a savior, it will probably be a few weeks at least from when he first gets on the court until he really gets his mojo back.

Best short term bet is probably to hope Jalen can come on fast as PG.

I beg to differ:
Experienced (but rusty) SENIOR PG > inexperienced (slightly less rusty) Frosh PG.

Especially in the zone D, and playing with guys whose games he knows inside and out.

The bottom line is...the Orange need a point guard.
Someone to run the offense and take care of the ball.
Without that they may be in for some tough situations...starting this week.

I beg to differ:
Experienced (but rusty) SENIOR PG > inexperienced (slightly less rusty) Frosh PG.

Especially in the zone D, and playing with guys whose games he knows inside and out.

I hear you and you may be right from whenever Frank can even get on the court. I was coming from the perspective that frank will probably be out for several more weeks and then would probably be on limited minutes for awhile until he works himself back to 100%.

So in the meanwhile, we either keep using Ty out of position or hope Jalen can come on fast.

I hear you and you may be right from whenever Frank can even get on the court. I was coming from the perspective that frank will probably be out for several more weeks and then would probably be on limited minutes for awhile until he works himself back to 100%.

So in the meanwhile, we either keep using Ty out of position or hope Jalen can come on fast.

He’s practicing. I doubt he’s out “several more weeks”.

At best he’s back on Thursday.

At worst Colgate before Thanksgiving.

Every team has a weakness somewhere. Ours is likely ballhandling. We were exposed quite a bit last night. I hope Frank helps us out but man we were pretty darn shaky for most of the game. I do think franks handle has improved. I noticed last year that he made a conscious attempt to lower his body while dribbling to protect the ball better from those pesky quick little thieving guards.

Every team has a weakness somewhere. Ours is likely ballhandling. We were exposed quite a bit last night. I hope Frank helps us out but man we were pretty darn shaky for most of the game. I do think franks handle has improved. I noticed last year that he made a conscious attempt to lower his body while dribbling to protect the ball better from those pesky quick little thieving guards.

Agreed. No doubt Frank has incrementally improved and I think he plays lower like you say these days.

But, man, it seems to be an epidemic early on with guys having trouble bringing the ball up. I mean this is simply unacceptable at this level. You don’t see this anywhere else. From Kaleb, to Frank early on, to Carey. I don’t care what injury and lack of practice Carey had. This is simply bringing the ball up. Maybe it was like Boeheim said in the presser. Carey not ready for the kind of competition/swag /quicks some of these mid-major programs have but, come on. The staff by now should see these constant ballhandling woes. Hopefully extra time is being devoted to this but maybe not. We definitely need Frank back. Morehead is a good team also I think and not trying to diminish what they were doing. Loved their agressiveness and swag.

Agree with all that. Rautins too. Friggin Sherman Douglas was a reserve as a freshman.

The list of guards who excelled as a frosh is, what, three? Pearl, Gmac and Flynn. Triche was an important part of the 09-10 team but has the huge benefit of being like the sixth option on that team. Devendorf became an important piece of the team by the end of his frosh year I guess.

Also why I’ve been very skeptical of some of the posts about buddy being a major contributor this year.
Douglas was great as a freshman. He was just behind Pearl

Seems to me that this idea that it’ll all be OK when Frank gets back is really optimistic.

Frank hasn’t played in how long?

He missed almost all of the preseason practices, the exhibition games and the first few regular season games.

That has to affect his conditioning, his reflexes, his shot. If not, then all that work is unnecessary..

Talk about the potential for rust. How can it not take weeks to get to 100%?

Seems to me that this idea that it’ll all be OK when Frank gets back is really optimistic.

Frank hasn’t played in how long?

He missed almost all of the preseason practices, the exhibition games and the first few regular season games.

That has to affect his conditioning, his reflexes, his shot. If not, then all that work is unnecessary..

Talk about the potential for rust. How can it not take weeks to get to 100%?

Much easier for Frank to get back into things than Carey IMO.

Much easier for Frank to get back into things than Carey IMO.

How Frank is relative to Carey seems unimportant to me unless you are saying that a rusty, perhaps very rusty Frank is a better choice than Carey.

The important part of this is Frank versus the opposition and how this will impact the team. A rusty, out of peak condition Frank might be only marginally more effective than Carey.

I’ll guarantee it. Within the first three games there will be complaints on here about Frank without bothering to mention that everyone else is in November-December shape and Frank is starting from way behind.

Last time I checked no one ever ran wind sprints on a bad ankle.

If SU HAS to have a 90% plus Frank to win, we’ll start clicking in January, best case.

Some posters won’t like it. But, you’re just going to have these kinds of struggles against teams like this at SU with the combo guard types here who are zone D fits first.

Probably because it’s just not true. Jalen Carey and Tyus Battle were certainly not zone D fits first. Both were great scorers coming in. And I’m pretty sure Howard Washington wasn’t recruited for Zone D first. Silly take.

Of course we need Frankie.

Don't put too much stock in individual performances vs Morehead its next weeks games that will matter and determine PT. A guy like Buddy who has been cold could lock down his role for the year with 2 hot shooting games. Jalen needs a big game at least one of them to remain first guard off the bench. Tyus has to shoot better.

If those 3 step it up and play well in MSG we really are not going to have any roster problems this year apart from too many guys and not enough minutes.

Doesn't that worry you?

Frank is going to be the savior and the glue that keeps the whole thing together?

I sure hope so, but I keep getting flashbacks of lazy cross-court passes that were turned into fast breaks the other way.

Frank as the spoon that stirs the drink? I guess we better hope so.

Sounds like you don't have faith in the squad as JB put it together. There are few players that owe their longevity at SU to JAB more than one Franklin Howard.

And your flashbacks feel like they are from two years ago or longer.

I personally would love to see Howard Washington running the point. I know his shot isn't what we need, but his defense is certainly better than I've seen out of Carey or Buddy yet, and I'd prefer to see Tyus back at his more natural position. I think HoWash showed some decent poise as he got some later season run last year and could really help us right now. Unfortunate set of circumstances with him being hurt as Frank is hurt when HoWash could have shown his stuff.

I chuckle at those in this thread that still denigrate Frankie. Last year in ACC play he was 1st in steals, 5th in assists, 15th in scoring, 35th in free throw shooting (lots to work on there), and 61st in blocked shots (as a guard not too shabby). He played a ton, sure, but he was still able to accomplish great things, including late in the season, despite all those minutes on those legs.

I chuckle at those in this thread that still denigrate Frankie. Last year in ACC play he was 1st in steals, 5th in assists, 15th in scoring, 35th in free throw shooting (lots to work on there), and 61st in blocked shots (as a guard not too shabby). He played a ton, sure, but he was still able to accomplish great things, including late in the season, despite all those minutes on those legs.
36% from deep on 6.5 attempts per game in ACC play last season, too. That was huge for a team that struggled to score.

Sounds like you don't have faith in the squad as JB put it together. There are few players that owe their longevity at SU to JAB more than one Franklin Howard.

And your flashbacks feel like they are from two years ago or longer.

What I don't have any faith in is the collective non-wisdom of some who have somehow arrived at the conclusion that all this teams needs is Frank back.

Frank was still turning the ball over last year.

Your idea that I don't have faith in JB is weak. If that's all you've got, why bother. JB has to play who he has. The rash of PG injuries isn't under his control.

Even I’m wishing the return of Frank post-haste! I think it is fair to ponder the possibility of Frank struggling against those guards too last night. Eerily reminded me of that NC St team last year who came in and gave our guards fits getting anywhere they wanted to on the court. Buffalo too a bit but UB got a lot of points from that undersized C.

Some posters won’t like it. But, you’re just going to have these kinds of struggles against teams like this at SU with the combo guard types here who are zone D fits first. Other teams welcome the Morehead D and discard them like lint on a shirt. But too many combo guys as guards handling the ball who aren’t the best ballhandlers to begin with and not the fastest guys will always be an Achillies Heel here, IMO. We won yes but it wasn’t because of the guards. Frank would’ve helped too for sure but he would have had his share of problems with them I think. Defensively he would’ve really helped unless this would’ve been a repeat of the NC St game where we couldn’t stop their guards from getting anywhere they wanted to.
I'd give Jalen Carey some time before you decide he's a combo guy and not a point. He's very talented and definitely sees the court well. Yes he got picked by some junk yard dogs the other night, but that's going to happen. Triche struggled bringing the ball up. Frank struggled. It takes time to get used to the pressure and quickness and build confidence. Right now, Jalen's long arms are an open invitation for steels. Once he learns how to use his body to shield defenders, that length is going to be a weapon.

I'd give Jalen Carey some time before you decide he's a combo guy and not a point. He's very talented and definitely sees the court well. Yes he got picked by some junk yard dogs the other night, but that's going to happen. Triche struggled bringing the ball up. Frank struggled. It takes time to get used to the pressure and quickness and build confidence. Right now, Jalen's long arms are inviting steels. Once he learns how to use his body, that length is going to be a weapon.

Carey will be fine I’m sure. Not worried but, man, one can’t deny the constant issues with guys bringing the ball up like how you illustrated. Just shouldn’t be happening at this level, obviously.

Carey will be fine I’m sure. Not worried but, man, one can’t deny the constant issues with guys bringing the ball up like how you illustrated. Just shouldn’t be happening at this level, obviously.

It's kind of a double edge sword, so to speak. Recruiting taller guards (because of the 100% zone) who are more suited as off guards vs. a true point, who has the required/ideal ball handling prowess, etc. at this level.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom