We Saw Our Next Level.... | Syracusefan.com

We Saw Our Next Level....

newmexicuse

All Conference
What we saw yesterday was what we will need to do to get to the next level, which I will define as being in the Top 25 (probably this year's ceiling).

1. Defensive Intensity Throughout - Most Importantly, we found their three point threats and did not let anybody get hot on us. Secondly, it wasn't at the expense of leaving our interior open.

2. Glass Crashing - That has been the strength of this year's team, and it must continue.

3. Overwhelming Hustle - Nobody creates or gets to more loose balls than Marek, and his energy seems to be contagious.

4. Great FT shooting ( and also good attack to get to the line in the first place). We has the "right" guys drawing the fouls.

5. Reasonable three point shooting - Enough to keep em honest.

6. The Moyer factor - Matt was hustling, hitting the glass, and never stopped cutting to the rim. His teammates never seemed to miss a pass when matt got himself free. He probably won't be able to have games like this against everyone, but he needs to have them more often than not going forward. While double-doubles may be infrequent, there is no reason Matt should not be able to consistently get 7 to 8 points and 7 to 8 boards most outings.

7. Limiting TOs. It seemed like all of the What TO's happened at the end of each half, but other than that, we were solid with limiting mistakes.

The big question now, is though VT had talented players, they were all smurfs. Can we continue to play this effectively against teams with bigger stronger players ???

Against the physical teams down low, staying out of foul trouble will be key, let along being pushed around. More worried about the fouls, as Cuse has been scrappy. Need Sidibe back, but not sure he'd be able to withstand the grind if his knee shows only incremental improvement. Also, can the others withstand 40 minutes every game in the ACC? Hopefully HW can spot them at least a few minutes here and there (will be necessary with foul trouble). Let's not talk about potential any other injury (oops). Am liking what I am seeing from this team as many of you have said, just wondering about the potential toll on them all over time. But then again, we talk about the limited bench every year. So far so good.

It is crucial that Moyer have a good game in order for this team to be successful. I don’t know whether it’s cause or effect but the result is that we have FIVE people on the floor who are busting their balls, or the other team’s balls. :) Every single player hustling. JB let Moyer stay in after he tried a 3 pointer early on, and that is important, methinks. Gives Moyer confidence.

I also noticed that after Frank made one of his mistakes, JB did not yell at him. Now maybe there were other times he did, but I didn’t see it. I think he is careful with Frank, and that is all to the good. I have seen him get angry with Moyer.

Great post, Newmexicuse!

Last edited:
It is crucial that Moyer have a good game in order for this team to be successful. I don’t know whether it’s cause or effect but the result is that we have FIVE people on the floor who are busting their balls, or the other team’s balls. :) Every single player hustling. JB let Moyer stay in after he tried a 3 pointer early on, and that is important, methinks. Gives Moyer confidence.

I also noticed that after Frank made one of his mistakes, JB did not yell at him. Now maybe there were other times he did, but I didn’t see it. I think he is careful with Frank, and that is all to the good. I have seen him get angry with Moyer.

Great post, New Mexico season!
Great post yourself "Beadle" though I have to scratch my head a bit. The fact JB is leaving folks in after mistakes has a lot to do with a two man bench. Not a lot of options! At least JB is astute enough not to make a big issue out of a mistake when we need strong, positive attitude all day long.

We cannot survive playing 3 guys 40 minutes every game. I assume JB is trying to bank the winnable games assuming some rest will come during games when we are getting blown out.

We cannot survive playing 3 guys 40 minutes every game. I assume JB is trying to bank the winnable games assuming some rest will come during games when we are getting blown out.

Hard to see us getting blown out against anyone unless we just lay an egg. I think we see these guys go 40 every game unless they get 3 fouls in the first half.

Somehow, I don't think that is JB's logic. The 2012-13 team rolled to the Final Four on the strength of its defense with MCW, Triche and Fair rarely coming off the court and JB essentially using only one or two guys off the bench each night.

Very unlikely we see a bunch of blowouts. There just aren't enough dominate teams and our guys want it every game. The lack of depth is going to make it hard to put together longer winning streaks , especially when we have 3 game weeks. It played a role vs SB and will show up again.

In addition, this team is getting a very good feel for playing with one another. While that doesn't fix the first half offense yet given the reliance on a few guys to do most of the damage, it puts them in a really good spot to keep gelling further and overall strengthens them as a team even with the flaws.

I think the final piece to see is what happens if Howard W, is forced to play 25 mins in a game due to foul issues at G. It won't be frequent but do we have an 8th guy if we really need him? That will determine to me if we are essentially a edge of the bubble team or a firm single digit seed in the tourney with a win or 3 in us.

If we just make the NCAA tournament it everything will turn out okay. There are so many commercial breaks during NCAA tournament games only playing 3 guys 40 minutes doesn't really matter.

Really need to see Oshae get back on track hitting threes. And I'd love to see him attack the basket straight on, without a spin move or going off the side a bit. I love him attacking and getting fouled, but shooting an and 1 would be far preferable.

Really need to see Oshae get back on track hitting threes. And I'd love to see him attack the basket straight on, without a spin move or going off the side a bit. I love him attacking and getting fouled, but shooting an and 1 would be far preferable.

Not sure if you saw the game Sunday because I know you had dinner plans from another thread, but he did a great job attacking straight on in the second half Sunday.

Not sure if you saw the game Sunday because I know you had dinner plans from another thread, but he did a great job attacking straight on in the second half Sunday.

Watched it quickly yesterday while nursing my hangover. I agree, he was better, and especially in the second half. He still on occasion has a weird lean to him off to one side. I want to see a Hak like attack and dunk. Although I'm not actually sure he's got that level of athleticism yet.

Anyone else get the feeling he travels on some of his layups? He seems to have enormous stride length that gets him from beyond the foul line to the hoop with only two steps. I'm sure he's not traveling, but it just 'seems' that way.

What he needs to be doing. I'm more worried about his mid range game than his perimeter shot. The mid range shot is becoming a lost art.

If we just make the NCAA tournament it everything will turn out okay. There are so many commercial breaks during NCAA tournament games only playing 3 guys 40 minutes doesn't really matter.
I agree the tournament is a different story. Not the ACC the big dance. That said I think anyone who thinks this team with this O isn't going to face some nights where we get drubbed, are in for a surprise.

I thought Moyer was going to get murdered after that three attempt. JB must still be under the weather
Haha...I actually said..."well...he's coming out." As VT brought the ball the other way, I watched JB waiting for the point at Marek, and he never did! I was shocked! In Matt's defense, even though his shot is terrible, it was a very good look.

Watched it quickly yesterday while nursing my hangover. I agree, he was better, and especially in the second half. He still on occasion has a weird lean to him off to one side. I want to see a Hak like attack and dunk. Although I'm not actually sure he's got that level of athleticism yet.

Anyone else get the feeling he travels on some of his layups? He seems to have enormous stride length that gets him from beyond the foul line to the hoop with only two steps. I'm sure he's not traveling, but it just 'seems' that way.

The greed in me would rather the 3 ball hold off till next year... So that there will be a next year with OB. On that note, I would love to see him post up more. He has a good feel and a spin move that reminds a bit of Hakim and with his athleticism hard to see anyone defending it.

I thought Moyer was going to get murdered after that three attempt. JB must still be under the weather
No, believe it or not, I think he was trying to build his confidence!

which is why he didn't get the immediate JB hook (along with him being visibly locked in on D and just really active)
Yes, I think JB wanted to roll with Moyer and Chukwu at that point and was willing to ignore the shot. It seemed to work out pretty well.

I would love to see him post up more.
Yep.
Esp since he's usually the 3 in our offense which means a smaller guy almost always is guarding him. Need to post OB up more

I think anyone who thinks this team with this O isn't going to face some nights where we get drubbed, are in for a surprise.
This team looks like it can compete with anyone.
But if they come up against a strong team (say Duke or UNC) and they have another awful shooting night combined with foul trouble...the potential is there for a lopsided score.
And heaven forbid there are any more injuries.

Great post, Newmexicuse!

Frank got his last year. This year, he's the team leader. Boeheim doesn't yell at the team leader. Moyer is this year's Frank. Next year, I suspect Moyer to get less yelled at and someone will replace him - maybe Washington.

Frank got his last year. This year, he's the team leader. Boeheim doesn't yell at the team leader. Moyer is this year's Frank. Next year, I suspect Moyer to get less yelled at and someone will replace him - maybe Washington.

I see Washington getting less pt next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom