Wednesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Wednesday Articles

Orangeyes

R.I.P Dan
9943173-standard.jpg

Marrone, Players mum on injuries

Syracuse University football team plows ahead with full contact in preparation for Rutgers

Syracuse University football team offers free student admission to Saturday's game vs. Rutgers

Editorial | Underage drinking would persist despite beer ban in Dome

ACC | Athlete progress at SU on par with future members

Hoops Weiss a little late to the table on Toledo & SU

SU Chancellor Nancy Cantor Speaks About Move to ACC

Videos

SU football coach rallies student support; offers free game tickets

Bud & Brent Show 4

SUMB Syracuse Marching Band Drumline Show Cadence

Recruiting

Wayne%20Morgan%202%20Erasmus%20Hall--415x615.jpg

"Syracuse is still high up on my list of colleges"
Wayne Morgan's Online Diary

This Weeks Opponent

9046381-standard.jpg

Rutgers at first glance

Game plan 'very difficult' this week

Rutgers cornerback Jordan Thomas makes his first trip to Carrier Dome

Thomas getting a helping hand from teammates

Rutgers' Sanu sets Big East pass receiving record

While Mohamed Sanu excels, Rutgers looks for support from other receivers

Harrison not focusing on early-season drops

Your comments: Rutgers football getting ready for Syracuse ...

Rutgers Greg Schiano is concerned about secondary

Rutgers' defense proving strong against the run

Harrison keeps head up

Dodd faces new challenge in Syracuse

Chas Dodd is proving his pocket poise elevates Rutgers' offense

Like Savage Formerly, Huggins Needs Work

After slow start to career, Rutgers' Jawan Jamison getting carries

OLD-SCHOOL APPROACH

Rutgers Recruiting Update

Premium Articles

Rutgers University (subscription) - Brian Dohn - 2 hours ago

PISCATAWAY, NJ -- Rutgers middle linebacker Steve Beauharnais doesn't have great memories of his last trip to play Syracuse at the Carrier ...
SR.com TV: 1-on-1 with MLB Steve Beauharnais

SR.com TV: Thomas Excited for Homecoming

Syracuse Mention

10011940-standard.jpg

One of the most puzzling parts of the game was the inability of the USC defense to adjust to a key element of the Sun Devils offense.
The previous week against Syracuse, Orange quarterback Ryan Nassib started off 11-for-11 by throwing short passes -- until the Trojans brought their coverage guys up and forced him to attempt deeper throws. The result was plays that took longer to develop, giving the USC defensive line more time to bring pressure, which made Nassib far less effective.
ESPN

Last Opponent

UT's page near several records

Missed call has silver lining for UT

ACC

"If Notre Dame is a serious option, it should be seriously considered -- much more so than Rutgers, which would add little to the league."
Should the ACC expand again?

Around The Big East

USF President: Big East looking to other states

Anyone know Ben Kercheval, he stole my crazy pills idea.
Big East not looking to expand into footprint states right away

Conference expansion: Should the Big East bring back Temple?

South Florida, Pitt preparing for Thursday night showdown

ECU looks to boost reputation with bid to join Big East conference

Pasqualoni says McEntee has separated himself in three-way race for UConn ...

Mountaineers hopeful on rebuilt Big East, but Big 12 and SEC may be options down road

Around The Nation

National notes: What now Missouri?

With addition of Texas A&M, expansion scorecard heavily favors SEC

Realignment speculation, other notes

WCC won't stand in BYU's way

Maryland Coach Randy Edsall: ‘There is no rebuilding here’

High School

images

Retro, what's with this?

Top 16 PSAL Teams

Blogs

Syracuse Football: Catching Up With the Commits -

All SU Students Get into Rutgers Game Free

Syracuse vs. Rutgers: Scarlet Knights Basically Daring Orange Fans ...

Does Syracuse Want UConn & Rutgers In The ACC?

Conference Realignment: West Virginia and 3 Schools Most Likely on the Move

ACC Expansion Targets: Making the Case for West Virginia

Why the outrage at the Grave Lay-down thing? Are parents really pissed about this?

I totally fail to see anything wrong with it at all. I would love to hear reason for an opinion to the contrary.

I am surprised at the lack of comments on the interview Chancellor Cantor had with the PS that was published today (see video link above).

In it, Chancellor Cantor talks for the first time about plans to play home conference basketball games in NYC.

PS: Are there plans to have a home basketball game in New York City now?

NC: "...we absolutely have plans to do that."

Regarding a conversation she had with Swofford that led to SU being invited to the ACC...

"I wanted to make sure that (the ACC was) interested in playing competitions in the New York City area, because that's very important to us". "We see ourselves as New York's college team."

Cantor also talks about looking forward to getting 60,000 CNY fans in the Dome for Duke or UNC (for basketball). The plans are apparently to split the home games against these opponents between NYC and Syracuse.

I am not sure...

1) Syracuse can make as much money playing games in a 20K arena as they can in an arena that holds 34K (or possibly 60K).
2) the administration has thought about the horrific effect this will have on reducing (or likely eliminating entirely) the home court advantage for Syracuse in its most important games (Duke and UNC have huge followings in NYC as well)
3) the administration has considered the effect doing this will have on season ticket sales for the loyal fans that have supported this program with almost unprecedented loyalty and enthusiasm.
4) the administation has considered how horrific it will be to watch a basketball game played at midfield of the Dome. Or again, how drastically this will reduce the home court advantage playing a game where 90% of the fans are 40 yards or more away from the court.

If all this happens as described in the article, there will never be a Duke or UNC game played in the Dome that will be a decent experience for the season ticket holders. I hope this is a just a trial balloon...this might be the single worst idea ever for the Syracuse basketball program.

I am surprised at the lack of comments on the interview Chancellor Cantor had with the PS that was published today (see video link above).

In it, Chancellor Cantor talks for the first time about plans to play home conference basketball games in NYC.

PS: Are there plans to have a home basketball game in New York City now?

NC: "...we absolutely have plans to do that."

Regarding a conversation she had with Swofford that led to SU being invited to the ACC...

"I wanted to make sure that (the ACC was) interested in playing competitions in the New York City area, because that's very important to us". "We see ourselves as New York's college team."

Cantor also talks about looking forward to getting 60,000 CNY fans in the Dome for Duke or UNC (for basketball). The plans are apparently to split the home games against these opponents between NYC and Syracuse.

I am not sure...

1) Syracuse can make as much money playing games in a 20K arena as they can in an arena that holds 34K (or possibly 60K).
2) the administration has thought about the horrific effect this will have on reducing (or likely eliminating entirely) the home court advantage for Syracuse in its most important games (Duke and UNC have huge followings in NYC as well)
3) the administration has considered the effect doing this will have on season ticket sales for the loyal fans that have supported this program with almost unprecedented loyalty and enthusiasm.
4) the administation has considered how horrific it will be to watch a basketball game played at midfield of the Dome. Or again, how drastically this will reduce the home court advantage playing a game where 90% of the fans are 40 yards or more away from the court.

If all this happens as described in the article, there will never be a Duke or UNC game played in the Dome that will be a decent experience for the season ticket holders. I hope this is a just a trial balloon...this might be the single worst idea ever for the Syracuse basketball program.
Click that link again, there is now the whole story in print.

I saw that...thanks.

Hail Tomcat!

I'm shaking my head at those same comments. Considering the whirlwind nature of this process, I'm not sure there was any need to even bring that possibility up in terms of football, no less basketball.

Wonder if there is more to this than meets the eye?

Cheers,
Neil

SU shouldn't even consider playing Duke or UNC at the Garden.

OOC with St. John's. Cool.

Duke & UNC? Just a complete slap in the face to the local fanbase. Terrible idea.

Duke & UNC? Just a complete slap in the face to the local fanbase. Terrible idea.

Agreed. If Duke & UNC want to play bb in a bigger environment make BC play them at TD Garden. ;)

Cheers,
Neil

Any SU Alums out there who remember when SU Athletics Tickets were part of tuition (You paid for them like it or not)?

That upset me and I don't even live in the state. I truly am starting to feel bad for the locals.

That article on ECU is very oddly written. Every reference in it makes it sound like it's just a matter of time until ECU is in the Big East. That may be true. May not be. I just don't see how the author can write it that way.

Jordan seems to be enjoying taking some backhanded jabs at SU in his interviews. Here's hoping his first trip to the dome is similar to Jason Colson's much hyped trip to the dome in 2005.

agree - if there are so many SU alums in NYC dying to see a game, then schedule an OOC team like Manhattan or Siena (or anyone else for that matter) in MSG and sell the place out

There is absolutely no reason to move dook or UNC down there and there's no reason to do some silly 60k court in the middle of the dome game against a conference opponent - just complete nonsense.

agree - if there are so many SU alums in NYC dying to see a game, then schedule an OOC team like Manhattan or Siena (or anyone else for that matter) in MSG and sell the place out

There is absolutely no reason to move dook or UNC down there and there's no reason to do some silly 60k court in the middle of the dome game against a conference opponent - just complete nonsense.

I disagree from the standpoint that I suspect it will work both ways. Example: One year SU plays a "home game" against a big-name conference for, let's say UNC, in the Garden. The next year, another ACC team, let's say Duke, schedules one of their "home games" against SU in the Garden. I agree that SU shouldn't be giving the store away. But if there is a quid pro quo, then it's all good.

Beyond that, it makes no sense to play Siena or Manhattan in the Garden. You want big games that will get the NYC market excited.

I love how Jersey's Star-Ledger and Tom Luicci don't even try to keep it professional any more (not that they ever did):

"Syracuse’s latest attempt at becoming New York City’s football team has been to close practice to the media this week."

Nice jab. Keep up the journalistic integrity, Tommy!

I disagree from the standpoint that I suspect it will work both ways. Example: One year SU plays a "home game" against a big-name conference for, let's say UNC, in the Garden. The next year, another ACC team, let's say Duke, schedules one of their "home games" against SU in the Garden. I agree that SU shouldn't be giving the store away. But if there is a quid pro quo, then it's all good.

Beyond that, it makes no sense to play Siena or Manhattan in the Garden. You want big games that will get the NYC market excited.
you really think Duke or UNC will move one of their home games to NYC? I don't.

Sounds like the best compromise given your concerns is an annual game against StJ in the Garden once they become an OOC opponent.

Any SU Alums out there who remember when SU Athletics Tickets were part of tuition (You paid for them like it or not)?
Yes, they were included in the student fee. I graduated in 1973. If I remember correctly, in my last year, they were no long part of the student fee and those who desired were required to purchase season football and basketball tickets separately (at a cheap rate). There was student unrest at the time and eliminating tickets as part of the student fee was part of the fallout.

Back in my time (mid-70s), we paid $25 for an Athletic Activity Card that you could show at Manley to receive a ticket to any or all events

Moving the bigger games to MSG would be sticking it to the locals, but the exposure would be phenominal.
I remember when games were moved from Manley to the Dome- there was this huge outcry about losing the home-court advantage, that the Dome was "too big" & would never be be sold out, the atmosphere was artificial...etc.
As students, we started a huge protest movement to NOT move bball to the Dome. In retrospect, we were young, passionate, and WRONG!

The "NY's College Team" thingy might have been the trigger that got us out of BE purgatory, & maximizing it would only add to our national brand.
Duke vs SU, or UNC vs SU- at MSG would be an sports event...on a national scale. Yes, the locals get screwed & thats unfortunate- but progress ain't always pretty. :noidea:

Moving the bigger games to MSG would be sticking it to the locals, but the exposure would be phenominal.
I remember when games were moved from Manley to the Dome- there was this huge outcry about losing the home-court advantage, that the Dome was "too big" & would never be be sold out, the atmosphere was artificial...etc.
As students, we started a huge protest movement to NOT move bball to the Dome. In retrospect, we were young, passionate, and WRONG!

The "NY's College Team" thingy might have been the trigger that got us out of BE purgatory, & maximizing it would only add to our national brand.
Duke vs SU, or UNC vs SU- at MSG would be an sports event...on a national scale. Yes, the locals get screwed & thats unfortunate- but progress ain't always pretty. :noidea:
it's less of an 'event on a national scale' than playing them in the dome in front of 34k fans. SU just played UNC in MSG two years ago and it wasn't that big of a deal.

Back in my time (mid-70s), we paid $25 for an Athletic Activity Card that you could show at Manley to receive a ticket to any or all events
In the late 1970s/early 1980s, we also had this card. I am sure I paid $42 for it one year. You would show it at a little ticket booth in Archbold Gym and get a real ticket for each game you wanted to attend.

That is like Duke's chancellor having them play their biggest games in wilmington versus at Cameron. It wouldn't happen there, so why would it happen here?

Syracuse plays in the coaches vs cancer in NYC, that is enough. This would surely cause an uproar amongst season ticket holders.

The Manley/Dome thing is totally apples and oranges.

As for SU/Duke at MSG being a national event... come on. It'd be 15 minutes on one day. Not in any way worth losing a 34K gate and pissing off the locals who suport the hoops program like almost no one else in the country.

I love how Jersey's Star-Ledger and Tom Luicci don't even try to keep it professional any more (not that they ever did):

"Syracuse’s latest attempt at becoming New York City’s football team has been to close practice to the media this week."

Nice jab. Keep up the journalistic integrity, Tommy!

What does that have to do with becoming NYC's football team? :noidea:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom