Wednesday Articles | Syracusefan.com

Wednesday Articles

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
I am temporarily filling in for OE as he recovers from surgery. Get well soon Dan.

News

Miller Continues to Move Up; Gets 1st Team Reps at Center (DO; Wilson)

“To be honest with you, John Miller could kind of be the most improved player this spring right now,” head coach Scott Shafer said, “and I really like the way he looked the last two practices.”

Although Trudo has some experience at center, Shafer likes his physicality at guard and playing Miller at center allows Trudo to contribute there.

“I love his aggression,” quarterback Terrel Hunt said. “Whenever he gets mad, I feel bad for the guy in front of him.”

As Miller thrusts himself into the middle of the competition at center, it at least gives SU some depth at a previously questionable position.

With Kyle Knapp’s career over because of concussions, there is an opening on the offensive line. Trudo, Sean Hickey, Nick Robinson and Ivan Foy will all likely start, but Miller could allow those four to play the same positions they played last year instead of shuffling.

And if not, he’ll at least be there to provide some relief in the case of injury or exhaustion and some competition at a position that needs it.

“We have some viable options,” Shafer said, “and I’m really interested to watch this tape because I was pleased with the way Miller played in practice the other day.”

SU Offense Shines in First Open Practice of the Spring (DO; Hass)

Terrel Hunt saw a wide-open Jarrod West jetting toward the end zone. Hunt darted to the right and lofted up a pass that West corralled for a 32-yard score.

“He just made a great play,” West said. “He extended the play and scrambled out of the pocket, and we just stayed alive for him and he hit me on a nice ball.”

That was one of Syracuse’s five touchdowns on the day in the team’s first open spring practice Tuesday. The Orange offense showed off its new fast-paced look in the Carrier Dome, consistently torching a banged-up defense.

Four of SU’s touchdowns came in the air and one was on the ground. Hunt and Co. got off plays efficiently and flaunted the big-play ability George McDonald wants to see regularly.

SU head coach Scott Shafer said the scrimmage started off with the defense dominating, recording a string of tackles for loss, but that quickly changed.

“I was like ‘Holy mackerel, we may not gain a yard,’ and then all of a sudden, ‘Bam,” Shafer said, clapping his hands for emphasis. “It took off.”

14657779-mmmain.jpg

SU Finally Opens Practice to Media; Notes Part 1 (PS; Mink)

...The media was invited to watch practice for the first time this spring. Here are a few notes and observations from Tuesday's practice:

1. The first-team offense got the better of the first-team defense on this day. Terrel Hunt showed the type of offensive command that has made him one of the team's leaders, and he led multiple scoring drives during a controlled scrimmage period.

Hunt connected with Jarrod West for a 33-yard touchdown, as the senior receiver slipped behind cornerback Eric Jackson. Later, sophomore Brisly Estime motioned out and Hunt tossed him an easy ball in the flat that ended with Estime racing 50 yards down the sideline for another score.

The second-team offense had just as much success. Freshman quarterback A.J. Long laced a ball over the middle to Corey Winfield for a long touchdown, and Mitch Kimble connected with Ben Lewis on a long pass in the end zone...

14658532-mmmain.jpg

Jarrod West (Note the New Extra Padding on Helmets Designed to Reduce Concussions)

SU Finally Opens Practice to Media; Notes Part 2 (PS; Mink)

...Second-year coach Scott Shafer did not roll through a complete list of players hurting right now, but there were a few noticeable absences during Tuesday's practice at the Carrier Dome.

"We have some kids with some upper and lower body injuries, nothing that I think is going to keep them out for a real long period of time," Shafer said. "Our limbs are in pretty good shape for the most part, just banged up. I think we have five offensive linemen that are missing time right now, so difficult to get as many reps as you want."

Among those not seen practicing Tuesday were: starting cornerback Brandon Reddish, reserve linebacker Oliver Vigille, defensive back Wayne Morgan (dressed in pads), running back Devante McFarlane, fullback Clay Cleveland and offensive lineman Seamus Shanley...

14657930-mmmain.jpg

Kyle Knapp Crushed After Career Ends Due to Concussions (PS; Mink)

Kyle Knapp wore a gray T-shirt, sweats and carried a practice sheet Tuesday at the Carrier Dome. This is his new role on the Syracuse football team. He has been relegated to helping coach after suffering three concussions throughout his time at Syracuse.

Team doctors recently disqualified Knapp from playing football because of his head injuries. Syracuse coach Scott Shafer said an MRI came back clean, leading Knapp to believe he could return to the field, but doctors nixed the idea. His young career is over.

"It killed him," Shafer said after practice. "He was crushed."

Portage Central Alum Kyle Knapp's Football Career at Syracuse Cut Short by Concussions (mlive.com; Drew)

2014 SU Fan's Guide to Scheduling Your Fall Wedding (TNIIAM; Keeley)

...It's that time again. The time to start thinking about your Fall wedding plans and how your betrothal is going to ruin the lives of everyone around you...
Jason Kirk over at SBNation wrote the definitive guide to scheduling (and not scheduling) your fall wedding based on the college football schedule. Now let's take it one step further and figure out the best and worst weekends for aSyracuse Orange fan to schedule their wedding between the last weekend in August and the last weekend in November.

Recruiting

13416921854_0162812e9d_b.0_standard_709.0.jpg

WR Preston Williams Still Committed to UT but Talking to Other Schools, Including Syracuse (sbnation.com; Joseph)

..."Tennessee, Georgia, Florida, Auburn," Williams said when asked about the order of his schools.
In addition to the four aforementioned SEC schools, Williams is thinking about taking official visits to schools that are a little farther from his Georgia home.

"I think I'm going to take officials to UCLA, USC, Syracuse and maybe a few others," Williams said. "I'm interested in all of them."...

Former Recruits

PSU Recruit Jason Cabinda Charged with DUI (Once Verbaled to SU) (PS; Mink)

Jason Cabinda, who at one time had been verbally committed to Syracuse, was charged with driving under the influence on March 23, according to a report by nj.com.

Cabinda, 18, was stopped by police for allegedly running a stop sign. He was issued summonses for alleged failure to stop, careless driving and being an uninsured motorist.

Last edited:
As much as it hurts us to lose Knapp the coaches made the right decision. An unintended benefit could be pointing out to recruits and their parents that this coaching staff really has their best interest in mind.