Weekend? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Weekend?

hey

• ho

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • hey

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Just finished watching the Knicks...feeling pretty buzzed. Tomorrow I'm heading out to Hoboken where my buddy is throwing a Derby de Mayo party - it starts with mint juleps and ends with margaritas.

Still snow. You guys might think me crazy for saying this, but so jealous of the snow!
Btw, you guys might think me crazy anyway. :p

I'm so sick if snow man lol

ImageUploadedByTapatalk 21367637580.629114.jpg

Just finished watching the Knicks...feeling pretty buzzed. Tomorrow I'm heading out to Hoboken where my buddy is throwing a Derby de Mayo party - it starts with mint juleps and ends with margaritas and vomiting.
Fixed. But seriously, mint juleps and margaritas, very tasty.

Jealous of both you guys, want to see Seattle, Alaska and although been to and lived in Southern Cali, want to see Northern California too. Oh, and Whistler. Whistler!

Me and my board have a week to spend in Whistler in the near future. Definitely.

As for us, we had a charity event tonight for cancer/long term care support a friend has established a foundation for and we have two lacrosse games (3-4) to watch tomorrow (my boy rocks at LAX) and the kid has a sleepover tomorrow night. Hitting a little pub in Bristol Vt we've been meaning to try for a long time. Playing hoop on Sunday morning and then a lot of gardening/yard work. All in all, not a bad little weekend.

Derby Party tomorrow... Court side seats for Knicks game on Sunday. Just another non-descript weekend. :)

Alaska, I'm coming to live with you! Lol

Theres nothing like it in the world. If you think the bar hangouts sound cool, imagine the outdoor places we go. Its just a little to early in the year to doing anything yet. If you ever came to Alaska, you would never regret it.
It is the coolest place (no pun intended) full of great bars. i think it was outside of hoonah we went to a bar called "The Office" which pulled fresh crab out of a cooler in front., not to mention glaciers- went there in June of 2008 and it was in the mid to upper 70's.

I have about 20 minutes left of work. In 20 minutes I will have successfully made it through another work day with out hitting on of my employees. Help me out, keep me going.

Anyone doing anything cool this weekend?

Tonight is the official season opening of the Howling Dog Saloon! The Dog is in Fox, Alaska in the middle of no where. The building is so old, they cant afford to heat it in the winter, so they close down the last weekend of October. The stage is lined with the red carpet that the Pope walked on when he visited Fairbanks in 86.

Ukulele Russ and the Parks Highway band will be on the Pope stage tonight. Awesome band, one of my favorites.

I was at the Dog last night for a "soft opening" (for regulars only type thing) and I started talking to an old guy to my left about the Giants. Next thing I know he says "2 saddest moments of my life... Giants beating the bills in the super bowl, and Indiana beating Syracuse in the championships... Fu**ing Keith Smart" He had no clue I was a Syracuse fan, but after I told him we talked cuse for the next 3 hours..

So that wasted 4 minutes of my work day.. Whats everyone else doing this weekend?

This one is worth the two day trip via my boat that I take each summer down Chatham Straight and then down Icy Straight. Everyone buys for everyone. Only drawback is that I have to get up in the morning to get cokes for incapacitated friends with headaches.

Esquire's Best Bars in America, 2006
You know a great bar when you're in one. If it's a dive, it's a Christ-this-place-is-a-dive dive. If it's an Irish pub, it's not an "Irish" pub. If it's a cocktail lounge, it's got some Tanqueray Ten and a bottle of rye somewhere. This story is about those places.
SHA
Illustration by Jason Lee​
Best Bars in America, 2006

One thing: We haven't patronized every bar in America, though we're working on it. For the parts of the country we've never had the honor of drinking in (Hoonah, Alaska, for instance), we asked our friends -- the most knowledgeable and passionate of whom is Esquire drinks correspondent David Wondrich. Despite our connections, we've clearly shortchanged some great cities and have no doubt overlooked some great bars.
The Office Bar
Hoonah, Alaska
You're having: A bottle of Rainier.
In most places, a plywood floor and metal roof wouldn't command attention. But hovering over the dock in the center of the native village of Hoonah -- where the town's nine hundred residents cling to the mountainous edge of misty Chichagof Island, thirty-five miles southwest of Juneau -- the Office is a temple for out-of-towners on the way out and locals on payday spending their checks at the bar and spreading wealth the ritual way.

It's perfectly situated, in other words, to take advantage of a failed hunting expedition and late ferry back to Juneau. On the way back toward town, Pat had hopped out of the truck and shot a doe from the road, but to Randy and I that wasn't saving face, so we'd returned empty-handed from three days on rainy mountainsides. Killing time at the Office, we heard the first round-for-the-house bell clang behind the bar at four o'clock, a friendly gesture from a regular patron for the five or six guys in the place.
That guy was smart to show early. For three hours, locals with paychecks filed in and swung the bell's frayed rope handle. The room filled, rounds for twenty, thirty, then forty guys arrived every few minutes. By seven o'clock, the three of us had four shots and five beers apiece lined up in front of us. There are nights when no one needs to twist your arm to dance with a 250-pound Tlingit woman; you just decide all at once to do it. By the time the ferry showed up, Randy had gotten sick, Pat had given away his deer, and I'd descended into drunken melancholy at the realization that bars like this hadn't been seen in southeast Alaska since the cruise ships took over in the eighties. 151 Front Street; 907-945-3215
--Chuck Thompson

If bars are your thing I guess you could call the fishing town of Ketchikan one big bar. 15,000 people and over 50 bars, drive thru liquor stores, you name it. People actually get their mail at some of the them. Between fishing openings, the overflow crowds would spill out onto the streets. The Crystal, down the block from my place was shut down by the State. It was the scene of one too many classic bar room fights, thrown shot glasses, broken mirrors, bartenders leaping over the counter, great big bell that got rung. It was a combination neighborhood family bar and stip tease bar. Now a days, to find a bar like that you have to go to Kodiak. That is where I will be this summer.
Three others worth mentioning: The bar in Hyder where you get Hyderized with 190 proof everclear, Rosies in Pelican another fishermens/family bar where they still hold wet T shirt contests, and the bar in Dawson Yukon Territory (across the Yukon River from Alaska) where you can get a drink (the Sourtoe) with a cut off big toe in it. http://www.thestar.com/news/2007/04/15/a_yukon_ritual.html

Read more: Esquire's Best Bars in America, 2006 - Esquire
Follow us: @Esquiremag on Twitter | Esquire on Facebook
Visit us at Esquire.com

Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

Me and my board have a week to spend in Whistler in the near future. Definitely.
Daaaaaaaaamn, brother! Enjoy.
I want to head back to Snowbird/Canyons/Park City too, maybe next season, but where is the time?
Either that or Mammoth or a Whistler trip.

I hope you get the good powder timing.

Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday, we're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

I've spent from Wednesday until now in the Great Smokies driving twisty mountain roads in a small British car with about 900 or so fellow MINI drivers/enthusiasts.
Now that is a plan!

Opening my camp on the weekend, my favorite place in the world. Right up on the St. Lawerance river, opening up the trailer, getting the boat ready. Maybe a little bulkhead fishing or maybe some casting in the bay for some pike and bass maybe, whatever hits ya know?
And of course Coors Light and some SoCo.

So peaceful up here.

Opening my camp on the weekend, my favorite place in the world. Right up on the St. Lawerance river, opening up the trailer, getting the boat ready. Maybe a little bulkhead fishing or maybe some casting in the bay for some pike and bass maybe, whatever hits ya know?
And of course Coors Light and some SoCo.

So peaceful up here.
Simply beautiful. Enjoy it.