Weitsman to Open Basketball Academy | Syracusefan.com

Weitsman to Open Basketball Academy

Consigliere

Co 2020 Cali Award Winner, Record Thru 5 Games
This has been in the works for a while but looks like it has now been formally announced. I figured when Adam hired Devo that things were close to coming to fruition.

This was a surprise though:

"Weitsman said he is working to develop the basketball academy with a well-known former NBA player who recently retired. He declined to identify the player but he said the academy would be known by that player's name."

Keeping it a secret even though he posted his lunch with Melo in LinkedIn last week.....

Melo Center 2?

Does this include academics?

I honestly don't know how these acadamys work and I do know there are some legitimate ones out there, but there are some that are also straight up disasters that have been shut down.

Having one with such close ties to us is extremely scary. As we all know it doesn't take very much for the NCAA put a hammer down on us, a booster running an academy seems like we're asking to have the ncaa up our butts.

I honestly don't know how these acadamys work and I do know there are some legitimate ones out there, but there are some that are also straight up disasters that have been shut down.

Having one with such close ties to us is extremely scary. As we all know it doesn't take very much for the NCAA put a hammer down on us, a booster running an academy seems like we're asking to have the ncaa up our butts.
It does include academics. I would expect that with his very close ties to JB, his philanthropic nature and the fact that he clearly is not doing this for the money, Adam will ensure all i’s are dotted and all t’s are crossed.
Of course anything can happen given the intense scrutiny an endeavor like this is sure to bring, but I would be very surprised to see any compliance issues or other unscrupulous activity.

Not even sure what to think about this...more information is definitely required (as I am sure will happen as aspects of this initiative become more public). My first question I think would just be “Why?” Why would this guy be doing this? What’s the motivation? Thanks for sharing the info Consigliere. It is certainly interesting news.

It does include academics. I would expect that with his very close ties to JB, his philanthropic nature and the fact that he clearly is not doing this for the money, Adam will ensure all i’s are dotted and all t’s are crossed.
Of course anything can happen given the intense scrutiny an endeavor like this is sure to bring, but I would be very surprised to see any compliance issues or other unscrupulous activity.

I mean he spent time in jail for cooking the books. Feels like if he believes he can get away with something he will try.

When did he become a Syracuse fan? I honestly don't see his name attached or in the news regarding the Orange before just a couple of years ago.

Him, his so called friends, the money being thrown around is crazy, especially for a non alumni who is a newer fan.

Does any other power 5 team have a basketball academy with such direct ties to the University? We're not just talking the risk of boosters getting close to athletes but now we're talking about messing with high school players grades.

Crossing the Ts and dotting the eyes is one thing, being involved with high school kids this close to the program is just playing with fire.

what's with all the hand wringing? why would this necessarily be a problem for syracuse? sounds like img academy north. and like img, over time it probably would send kids to nearly every program in the country. all you have to do is keep the bad apples out. hmm, i wonder who could run the thing with the experience to sniff out those with bad character?

and the proposed launch date is 2022. hmm, what else is scheduled for 2022?

I mean he spent time in jail for cooking the books. Feels like if he believes he can get away with something he will try.

When did he become a Syracuse fan? I honestly don't see his name attached or in the news regarding the Orange before just a couple of years ago.

Him, his so called friends, the money being thrown around is crazy, especially for a non alumni who is a newer fan.

Does any other power 5 team have a basketball academy with such direct ties to the University? We're not just talking the risk of boosters getting close to athletes but now we're talking about messing with high school players grades.

Crossing the Ts and dotting the eyes is one thing, being involved with high school kids this close to the program is just playing with fire.
What an ignorant and uninformed post. Invest some time and follow Adam on LinkedIn, Instagram or other social networks and the motivation becomes clear. He is striving to help kids, boost the local economy and support a game he has come to love through a deep friendship with JB. That friendship stemmed not from some uber-fandom but as a relationship founded via the interaction between two of the leading philanthropists in upstate NY.
The check kiting scandal, a desperate ploy to save a business built from the ground up by his grandfather, was indefensible but punishment has been served and he has by all accounts spent the balance of his life paying it forward through countless acts of generosity and retribution. Far from “throwing money around” investigate the support of local Boys and Girls Clubs, the one man Make-A-Wish initiatives to comfort sick children and the recent Bahamas relief efforts he sponsored.
Sorry to preach but I, for one, am deeply impressed by the way Adam has turned his life around and is so obviously thankful of the opportunities he has been given. And knowing he is doing this with the full support of the Boeheims, Devo and the unidentified, recently retired NBA superstar whose name will grace the institution makes me confident this initiative will be done the right way and will be nothing but positive for a region that sorely needs it.

What an ignorant and uninformed post. Invest some time and follow Adam on LinkedIn, Instagram or other social networks and the motivation becomes clear. He is striving to help kids, boost the local economy and support a game he has come to love through a deep friendship with JB. That friendship stemmed not from some uber-fandom but as a relationship founded via the interaction between two of the leading philanthropists in upstate NY.
The check kiting scandal, a desperate ploy to save a business built from the ground up by his grandfather, was indefensible but punishment has been served and he has by all accounts spent the balance of his life paying it forward through countless acts of generosity and retribution. Far from “throwing money around” investigate the support of local Boys and Girls Clubs, the one man Make-A-Wish initiatives to comfort sick children and the recent Bahamas relief efforts he sponsored.
Sorry to preach but I, for one, am deeply impressed by the way Adam has turned his life around and is so obviously thankful of the opportunities he has been given. And knowing he is doing this with the full support of the Boeheims, Devo and the unidentified, recently retired NBA superstar whose name will grace the institution makes me confident this initiative will be done the right way and will be nothing but positive for a region that sorely needs it.
ok, mr. weitsman

seriously, though, you should not underplay the fact that he is a convicted felon with a history of financial malfeasance. it will always be in the first paragraph of his bio & will always raise suspicions among outsiders. to pretend otherwise is pollyannaish

3 years ago I never saw him attached to the University, now he has a jet with the schools colors, logos, is parading around with the coach, and starting an Academy for high school players messing with education and eligibility.

I know the good he does donating his time and money but it would be more ignorant to not question what is going on than questioning it at this point.

Throw out the felony conviction on his record and nothing still makes me comfortable with this at all.

I follow a lot of CTOs posts and don't hear to many references to Adam, I'm not saying there is any conspiracy but that is odd considering how close both are to the coach. And as far as I know he hasn't donated anything directly to the program (cannot find one instance online), why? If there arent any donations I'm guessing the University won't accept it from him.

The situation with him is extremely bizzarre.

ok, mr. weitsman

seriously, though, you should not underplay the fact that he is a convicted felon with a history of financial malfeasance. it will always be in the first paragraph of his bio & will always raise suspicions among outsiders. to pretend otherwise is pollyannaish
Understood and agree. But to quote Vince Lombardi “The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” And I see Weitsman’s story as a testament to that quote.

3 years ago I never saw him attached to the University, now he has a jet with the schools colors, logos, is parading around with the coach, and starting an Academy for high school players messing with education and eligibility.

I know the good he does donating his time and money but it would be more ignorant to not question what is going on than questioning it at this point.
And as far as I know he hasn't donated anything directly to the program (cannot find one instance online), why? If there arent any donations I'm guessing the University won't accept it from him.

The situation with him is extremely bizzarre.
Please don’t guess. It’s not a good look. Pick up a program at the game tomorrow and check out the Orange Club list of donors. You will find Weitsman’s company at the very highest level.
Far from “parading around with Coach” these two look to have a deep friendship founded in mutual philanthropy, not just a wealthy fan being courted for his potential donations.
And messing with education and eligibility? Based on what exactly? Why prejudge? This could well be a significantly positive initiative for the Southern Tier, the game and hundreds of high school athletes. Casting aspersions before any concrete plans are even formulated really seems to be unjustifiable.

Weitsman has been around Syracuse since at least 2009. I did business with him around 2012ish I believe. There’s no doubt he’s been more visual the past few years, but that comes hand in hand with success as his business has continued to grow.

It's not as easy to pull these off in NY as in other places. Admittedly, I have only a superficial knowledge of high school accrediation, and how these prep "schools" work, but I'd think its a problem that NY Department of Education does not recognize cyber-education. A possible more legit option would be to try to open some kind of Charter School for gifted and talented students, but I am not aware of any that Board.

Another option could be to make a significant donation to an already existing school like Milford Prep or Faith Heritage. Or just forge a partnership for the academic piece. This is what SPIRE and Prolific do to my knowledge.

Last edited:

Change Scary for a game changer. How about using SU players in advertisements for the Academy. I hope the next two businesses Adam buys are a car dealership and Shirt World.

I certainly hope you're right...

Everyone in CNY’s proud of his philanthropy and generosity, but lets not pretend this isn’t a thin line he’s dancing on with this move. I for one applaud it. If done right it could benefit many high-school athletes in a positive way.

Weitsman has been around Syracuse since at least 2009. I did business with him around 2012ish I believe. There’s no doubt he’s been more visual the past few years, but that comes hand in hand with success as his business has continued to grow.

I mean around the team.