Weitsman to Open Basketball Academy | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Weitsman to Open Basketball Academy

What an ignorant and uninformed post. Invest some time and follow Adam on LinkedIn, Instagram or other social networks and the motivation becomes clear. He is striving to help kids, boost the local economy and support a game he has come to love through a deep friendship with JB. That friendship stemmed not from some uber-fandom but as a relationship founded via the interaction between two of the leading philanthropists in upstate NY.
The check kiting scandal, a desperate ploy to save a business built from the ground up by his grandfather, was indefensible but punishment has been served and he has by all accounts spent the balance of his life paying it forward through countless acts of generosity and retribution. Far from “throwing money around” investigate the support of local Boys and Girls Clubs, the one man Make-A-Wish initiatives to comfort sick children and the recent Bahamas relief efforts he sponsored.
Sorry to preach but I, for one, am deeply impressed by the way Adam has turned his life around and is so obviously thankful of the opportunities he has been given. And knowing he is doing this with the full support of the Boeheims, Devo and the unidentified, recently retired NBA superstar whose name will grace the institution makes me confident this initiative will be done the right way and will be nothing but positive for a region that sorely needs it.
Not sure if ESPN will open the inevitable 30 for 30 on our program killing probation resulting from this ‘academy’ with this post...or close with it to hammer home how a school and a region desperate for $$$ and attention, blew itself up.

Last edited:
What if there were more IMG style academies for players to practice their game, receive “internships”, play against the other academies, and then go pro at 19? Another option for athletes that don’t want to go to school, like a trade school.

Unless there is something to the idea that college sports helps players with there future professional carriers...(cue evil laugh)

What an ignorant and uninformed post. Invest some time and follow Adam on LinkedIn, Instagram or other social networks and the motivation becomes clear. He is striving to help kids, boost the local economy and support a game he has come to love through a deep friendship with JB. That friendship stemmed not from some uber-fandom but as a relationship founded via the interaction between two of the leading philanthropists in upstate NY.
The check kiting scandal, a desperate ploy to save a business built from the ground up by his grandfather, was indefensible but punishment has been served and he has by all accounts spent the balance of his life paying it forward through countless acts of generosity and retribution. Far from “throwing money around” investigate the support of local Boys and Girls Clubs, the one man Make-A-Wish initiatives to comfort sick children and the recent Bahamas relief efforts he sponsored.
Sorry to preach but I, for one, am deeply impressed by the way Adam has turned his life around and is so obviously thankful of the opportunities he has been given. And knowing he is doing this with the full support of the Boeheims, Devo and the unidentified, recently retired NBA superstar whose name will grace the institution makes me confident this initiative will be done the right way and will be nothing but positive for a region that sorely needs it.

Counter-point: he always has a facial expression like he's up to something.

1571322735143.png

Not sure if ESPN will open the inevitable 30 for 30 on our program killing probation resulting from this ‘academy’ with this post...or close with it to hammer home how a school and a region desperate for $$$ and attention, blew itself up.
Why the quotes around ‘academy.’
Apparently you know something nefarious that no one else, including JB and Devo who fully support this initiative, is aware of.

This could quickly turn into a Findlay Prep situation...

People are free to spend their money as they'd like, and there's a good chance that Weitsman has turned his life completely around for the best. That being said, this is a delicate line to walk and the school would be wise to keep him at arm's length despite the size of his wallet.
It is a delicate line. And it’s also clear that Weitsman’s errs on the side of caution when compliance issues may be at hand.
. Boeheim - Weitsman friendship
You can be sure he will have Mark Wheeler on speed dial.

I mean he spent time in jail for cooking the books. Feels like if he believes he can get away with something he will try.

When did he become a Syracuse fan? I honestly don't see his name attached or in the news regarding the Orange before just a couple of years ago.

Him, his so called friends, the money being thrown around is crazy, especially for a non alumni who is a newer fan.

Does any other power 5 team have a basketball academy with such direct ties to the University? We're not just talking the risk of boosters getting close to athletes but now we're talking about messing with high school players grades.

Crossing the Ts and dotting the eyes is one thing, being involved with high school kids this close to the program is just playing with fire.

is weitsman actually St. Tristian?

Sounds like he needs a cusetroop.. If I can keep a $41m research program compliant, a basketball academy should be toooo easy

Seriously, you should reach out! Let me know if you need a letter of recommendation. Adam owned the building where we were located in my last couple of years with Endicott Johnson. He was in the office regularly. Doubt he remembers me but I'd be happy to reach out!

JRHEETER , if this were ever to happen I assume you are ready to ramp up production!

Maybe it’s just an effort to develop and keep NYS kids in NYS, particularly those from upstate, home to play basketball. Think of all the players just from this area that have left to play within the last year or two from their local high school basketball - Rochester’s Stewart, Syracuse’s Symir Torrence, Mika Adams - Woods, Jai Smith etc and how many already have speculated about when B’ville’s JJ Starling will head out of state for prep school? I have absolutely no facts other than after watching NYS kids head out of state for prep schools and wondering why other states have options for NYS kids to compete against better competition and NYS doesn’t?Heck Buddy Boeheim even spent a year at a prep school.

Maybe it’s just an effort to develop and keep NYS kids in NYS, particularly those from upstate home to play basketball. Think of all the players just from this area that have left to play within the last year or two from their local high school basketball - Rochester’s Stewart, Syracuse’s Symir Torrence, Mika Adams - Woods, Jai Smith etc and how many already have speculated about when B’ville’s JJ Starling will head out of state for prep school? I have absolutely no facts other than after watching NYS kids head out of state for prep schools and wondering why other states have options for NYS kids to compete against better competition and NYS doesn’t?Heck Buddy Boeheim even spent a year at a prep school.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

This could quickly turn into a Findlay Prep situation...

People are free to spend their money as they'd like, and there's a good chance that Weitsman has turned his life completely around for the best. That being said, this is a delicate line to walk and the school would be wise to keep him at arm's length despite the size of his wallet.
I don't think I have to tell you what you do but I will do it anyway. You ruin everything. You know that?

I don't have a dog in this fight, but this might be the funniest opening to a sentence I've ever read on this board. ;)
Boeheim doesn't pay players, hes not going to allow that around his program. In that sense, he is strict. Other ways.. no. I'm glad I could make you laugh. Life is too short to not have a sense of humor

It’s insane to think people would think Adam would do something dumb or illegal after all the hard work he has put In to become as successful as he has become...The CNY negative attitude is always infuriating to me. Whether it’s a new restaurant or people complaining about movies shooting here, there’s always people that have something stupid to say. This is absolutely an incredible idea for up and coming basketball players. Let’s focus on how many kids this will positively affect instead of thinking this is something fishy... cmon people