Welcome, Coach Brown! Now, about that portal... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Welcome, Coach Brown! Now, about that portal...

I personally doubt it. A coach may sit down with certain players and say, you’re not in our future plans and makes sense to transfer. Kind of nudge them out. But pulling scholarships is a bad move usually. Also from what I’ve heard from friends of players, he’s well liked. It sets a bad tone to do that if a player isn’t a team problem. And you need practice players and you need backup QB’s. So I don’t think so but you never know with a new guy who’s new to this too. There’s no history to know what he will or won’t do.

Marrone came in and cleaned house, rightfully so. He did this being hired with I think about 1 month to sign new players. We picked up players that didn’t even have star ratings just to have bodies on the team. So who knows.
I just hope no one loses their scholarship, I'd hate to see that.

Schools are only allowed to "officially" contact recruits who are listed in the portal.

You can only enter the portal during one of the specified windows. There are exceptions: When a coach is fired, players can enter the portal immediately instead of waiting until Dec 4.

Once you're listed in the portal, schools can contact you anytime.

You can leave the portal and transfer to another school anytime. Players will be announcing their new destinations from now until next May.
Key word being officially. As we know conversations are happening at most levels and various channels whether a player is in the portal or not.

TVD/Bohanon will not help us get to a bowl next year.

I might be able to get us to 6 wins with next year's schedule. I am the Andrew Robinson of spiral throwers.

We have anywhere between 65-70 players returning, plus 18 verbal commits.

If we're gonna pound the portal, somebody's got to leave.
It's an unpleasant business but verbal commits are just that. If some are informed they are not in SU's future they would have until NLI Day to find other options.

Will Howard, grad transfer QB from K-State (Downingtown, PA) has some respectable talent as I mentioned earlier. He has an OT brother that we offered for 2024 that is committed to K-State as well that we might be able to flip also. Both are big boys. Will is 6-5 242 and little brother Ryan is listed at 6-7 305. Will also visited us a couple of times before he committed to K-State a few years back.
I'd be down, he's a good player

You would think, but guys can br stupid about this stuff and try to roll the dice with the NCAA, and also Villari slipped a little line in the presser about "whichever team I'm on."

I think there's a chance Villari's recent success may have emboldened him.
Dudes just a athaleet.

David Spade Love GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

Some of these players are looking for maximum exposure to further their careers. That may or may not go along with a shot at a championship if the present system they’re in or looking at, isn’t a pass/QB friendly system. At the end of the day you’re prob right, the highest rated QB’s aren’t going to consider us. But it’ll be more b/c we can’t convince them right now that our offense can advance their career because we don’t have one or evidence we have the offensive players to make a QB look good.

There’s no way we’ll be riding it out with CDRW next year.
I agree and you're right. I was more so referencing guys like Will Rodgers and KJ Jefferson, those are guys who are gonna get calls from top dawgs who will unload the $$$. They just aren't realistic options. Someone we will grab will probably be either an experienced guy who has shown some flashes but hasn't been able to put it all together (like TVD), or a younger inexperienced kid with some raw talent who's just looking for an opportunity to be the guy.

Fran Brown did try and recruit QB KJ Jefferson to Baylor, from the University of Arkansas who is now in the portal.

I agree and you're right. I was more so referencing guys like Will Rodgers and KJ Jefferson, those are guys who are gonna get calls from top dawgs who will unload the $$$. They just aren't realistic options. Someone we will grab will probably be either an experienced guy who has shown some flashes but hasn't been able to put it all together (like TVD), or a younger inexperienced kid with some raw talent who's just looking for an opportunity to be the guy.

That makes sense, completely agree with that.

Does Brown remove his scholarship if he can't transfer elsewhere? This is a genuine question; I recall Deion doing that to many players this season at Colorado, would Brown most likely do similar as well?

Not advocating for it, just curious.
There is a strange rule in College Football where a first-year head coach with a program has the ability to remove players from the football team, and the team will regain that scholarship right away.

I wouldn't be suprised, based on nothing factual, if there is significant roster turnover. From player choice and otherwise. It's a cold, heartless business now with NIL and the portal. Brown needs to capitalize on this one time opportunity.

What are the odds that the frosh from GA starts

Don't get it twisted Fran can recruit, but these high profile QBs aren't leaving their schools to come to Syracuse for their final season. They want either $$ or a shot at a championship. I think it's likely we end up with a guy who knows HCFB or Syracuse from before (like Bohanon or TVD) or just ride it out with CDRW.
This. Lol just because we hired an ace recruiter does not mean we are getting any top QBs from the portal.

Schools are only allowed to "officially" contact recruits who are listed in the portal.

You can only enter the portal during one of the specified windows. There are exceptions: When a coach is fired, players can enter the portal immediately instead of waiting until Dec 4.

Once you're listed in the portal, schools can contact you anytime.

You can leave the portal and transfer to another school anytime. Players will be announcing their new destinations from now until next May.

and as we are learning with Riley Leonard, those that have been involved in tampering can put on a "do not contact" so other schools are NOT allowed to "officially" contact *bother* them because they have already had in season conversations with another school and have already committed to them.

Please yes pull the scholarships of deadweight players who won't see the field. This is big boy sports and the NIL age and should have banked some complimentary credits to start their college journey.

This. Lol just because we hired an ace recruiter does not mean we are getting any top QBs from the portal.
It doesn’t guarantee that we are, but it doesn’t guarantee that we aren’t either. We have a much better opportunity with someone like FB and the staff he will assemble than we did previously.

I don’t think FB will turn over the roster like a madman, but I think he’s smart enough to know he has a one time opportunity to refresh the roster and will use that to his advantage. He has no time to waste and this isn’t the time to be everybody’s buddy. There’s a job to be done. And he’ll do it and do it respectfully.

We should end up with one of these older 5th/6th year guys. Not sure we get the right one but I'd expect someone everyone has heard of.

Davis and CDRW were such busts I don't think we can take the risk of giving someone without much starting experience a shot TBH.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom