Welcome to the JMA | Syracusefan.com

Welcome to the JMA

Last edited:
Once last thank you to Carrier for their support of the university and its athletic programs. I believe they are going to continue to support both in the future, which is great.

But speaking of great, this is a great day for Syracuse University and SU fans.

I will pull a couple of quotes out from the release...

"This is an exciting moment for Syracuse University, Syracuse Athletics and the broader Central New York community," says Chancellor Kent Syverud. "With JMA Wireless as our new naming partner, our campus community, student-athletes and fans alike can expect a world-class event experience, unlike anything they've ever seen before at Syracuse University. I am grateful to JMA Founder and CEO John Mezzalingua for his partnership and vision. His investment in the City of Syracuse and Central New York will pay dividends for years to come in the form of economic vitality, career opportunities for local residents and cutting-edge technology innovation taking place in our region. We share JMA's commitment to the City of Syracuse and Central New York and look forward to seeing the positive impact our partnership will have on our local community."

I believe JMA is not just going to install state of the art 5G connectivity in the JMA Wireless Dome, but for the whole campus. That is a big deal.

"Today marks the beginning of a new era for the Dome, Syracuse University and JMA," says Mezzalingua. "Our company's ties to the city and University run deep. I remember when Syracuse redefined college athletics with the Dome, a unique venue that ushered in a period of unprecedented success for Syracuse sports. With this partnership, we have an opportunity to lead once again. The Dome will have the most advanced 5G network of any collegiate stadium, connecting fans as never before. It will also enable powerful new augmented reality training systems, advanced coaching tools and sensor-based performance optimization to attract elite athletes and help Syracuse win. The JMA Dome has an incredibly bright future ahead, and we are thrilled to be a part of it."

The biggest frustration I have had attending events at the Dome, and this has been true for many years, is the awful Internet access in the facility. This is really exciting. We are going from the outhouse to the penthouse.

This opens up so much in terms of what is possible with the fan experience. I think the JMA Dome is going to be a place where a lot of new and exciting technologies are rolled out. Can't wait.

Now gotta get back to the presser.

Not a fan of the name but if it comes with economic perks for the city and University it’s an ok trade off I guess.

well handled. People will still call it the dome. No complaints
Thought everyone who spoke from SU did a nice job.

What was up with Chris Carlson going all tabloid during the press conference?

He seemed determined to find a way to make his alma mater look bad for finally taking a small amount of state money to help fund phase 2 of the renovation. It appeared that he really wanted to tie taxpayer money to something frivolous. I could understand if there were things in phase 2 of the renovation that weren't boilerplate solid improvements to the facility.

Someone in his position should know how this works.

Once last thank you to Carrier for their support of the university and its athletic programs. I believe they are going to continue to support both in the future, which is great.

But speaking of great, this is a great day for Syracuse University and SU fans.

I will pull a couple of quotes out from the release...

"This is an exciting moment for Syracuse University, Syracuse Athletics and the broader Central New York community," says Chancellor Kent Syverud. "With JMA Wireless as our new naming partner, our campus community, student-athletes and fans alike can expect a world-class event experience, unlike anything they've ever seen before at Syracuse University. I am grateful to JMA Founder and CEO John Mezzalingua for his partnership and vision. His investment in the City of Syracuse and Central New York will pay dividends for years to come in the form of economic vitality, career opportunities for local residents and cutting-edge technology innovation taking place in our region. We share JMA's commitment to the City of Syracuse and Central New York and look forward to seeing the positive impact our partnership will have on our local community."

I believe JMA is not just going to install state of the art 5G connectivity in the JMA Wireless Dome, but for the whole campus. That is a big deal.

"Today marks the beginning of a new era for the Dome, Syracuse University and JMA," says Mezzalingua. "Our company's ties to the city and University run deep. I remember when Syracuse redefined college athletics with the Dome, a unique venue that ushered in a period of unprecedented success for Syracuse sports. With this partnership, we have an opportunity to lead once again. The Dome will have the most advanced 5G network of any collegiate stadium, connecting fans as never before. It will also enable powerful new augmented reality training systems, advanced coaching tools and sensor-based performance optimization to attract elite athletes and help Syracuse win. The JMA Dome has an incredibly bright future ahead, and we are thrilled to be a part of it."

The biggest frustration I have had attending events at the Dome, and this has been true for many years, is the awful Internet access in the facility. This is really exciting. We are going from the outhouse to the penthouse.

This opens up so much in terms of what is possible with the fan experience. I think the JMA Dome is going to be a place where a lot of new and exciting technologies are rolled out. Can't wait.

Now gotta get back to the presser.
I don't think enough people are fully aware yet of the type of technology and innovation that JMA will bring to the Dome and SU beyond just the 5G networking and the fan experience.

I don't think enough people are fully aware yet of the type of technology and innovation that JMA will bring to the Dome and SU beyond just the 5G networking and the fan experience.
Bingo. I truly think this is the best partner they could get that will enhance a lot of parts of the dome experience

Thought everyone who spoke from SU did a nice job.

What was up with Chris Carlson going all tabloid during the press conference?
He's following the course led by scumbag Pete Thamel

well handled. People will still call it the dome. No complaints
Right... I think the last time I actually used "Carrier Dome" in a sentence was the 80's.

Sounds great what are some examples of those types of technology?

Multi view and player holomojis are some of the things this brings to the table.

To get the really cool stuff, you are going to need a phone that is 5G capable. And at least some of it requires an iPhone 12 or beyond.

Looks like you access the cool stuff using a special app. At Sofi, it is caled the Chargers app. Guessing our Cuse is going to get enhanced significantly. Way better stat package, better out of town score tracking, etc.

It is important to know that there is a major issue with time to get the whole package implemented here. I would expect we will not see things working at 100% at the start of football stadium. Not for everyone anyway. But you might want to check if your phone is 5G capable.

For iPhone users, I believe only the iPhone 12, iPhone 13 and iPhone SE (3rd generation) are 5G capable. I bet this drives a lot of upgrades in CNY to phones that are 5G capable.

Hoping someone from JMA or someone outside JMA that really understands the technology will weigh in.

If I was a reporter for syracuse.com, I would reach out to JMA, get a tech contact and interview them to get an explanation on how this will impact Syracuse fans. Will fans with 3G or 4G phones be able to use the JMA enhancements? Will there be enhancements to Wifi, as well as cell service? Will all the major carriers be part of this initially or are customers from some carriers going to miss out on the fun?

I know transmission speeds are dramatically faster as you go from 3G to 4G to 5G.

3G networks operate at 8 megabits per second.
4G networks operate at 28 megabits per second.
5G networks operate at up to 280 megabits per second.

That impressive 5G thruput makes it possible to do a lot of things that have been impossible up until now because of bandwidth limitations.

So with 5G and the right application, you can do things like watch a play from 7 angles simultaneously. Or see holograms or have apps that interact with your environment. If you have problems imagining this, think if it in terms of a road from point A to point B.

3G is a 2 lane road. Not much can get through. It is too narrow. 4G takes us to 6 lanes. 5G takes us to 60 lanes or thereabouts. It is a dramatic step up in terms of what can be done.

Last edited:
Tom talked about the fan experience upgrades. For players/coaches, augmented and virtual reality training/simulations. My understanding is the football staff was "playing" around with some of this in the fall with the QBs. It will go to another level with full 5G. I've heard that it's being mentioned in recruiting pitches now.

Multi view and player holomojis are some of the things this brings to the table.

To get the really cool stuff, you are going to need a phone that is 5G capable. And at least some of it requires an iPhone 12 or beyond.

Looks like you access the cool stuff using a special app. At Sofi, it is caled the Chargers app. Guessing our Cuse is going to get enhanced significantly. Way better stat package, better out of town score tracking, etc.

It is important to know that there is a major issue with time to get the whole package implemented here. I would expect we will not see things working at 100% at the start of football stadium. Not for everyone anyway. But you might want to check if your phone is 5G capable.

For iPhone users, I believe only the iPhone 12, iPhone 13 and iPhone SE (3rd generation) are 5G capable. I bet this drives a lot of upgrades in CNY to phones that are 5G capable.

Hoping someone from JMA or someone outside JMA that really understands the technology will weigh in.

If I was a reporter for syracuse.com, I would reach out to JMA, get a tech contact and interview them to get an explanation on how this will impact Syracuse fans. Will fans with 3G or 4G phones be able to use the JMA enhancements? Will there be enhancements to Wifi, as well as cell service? Will all the major carriers be part of this initially or are customers from some carriers going to miss out on the fun?

I know transmission speeds are dramatically faster as you go from 3G to 4G to 5G.

3G networks operate at 8 megabits per second.
4G networks operate at 28 megabits per second.
5G networks operate at up to 280 megabits per second.

That impressive 5G thruput makes it possible to do a lot of things that have been impossible up until now because of bandwidth limitations.

So with 5G and the right application, you can do things like watch a play from 7 angles simultaneously. Or see holograms or have apps that interact with your environment. If you have problems imagining this, think if it in terms of a road from point A to point B.

3G is a 2 lane road. Not much can get through. It is too narrow. 4G takes us to 6 lanes. 5G takes us to 60 lanes or thereabouts. It is a dramatic step up in terms of what can be done.

Imagine how good Carey and Hima are gonna be after a season of practicing against Hologram Billy Celuck.

I am genuinely curious how this will elevate programs and winning to be honest. I 100 pct am glad about the upgrades and improving the tech experience massively.

I do wonder though is it more having a deep pockets partner for an NIL collective or something that legit elevates the programs ability to win.

Again love the news and stoked to see what it translates to just found the winning games part an interesting comment and somewhat out of place.

I am genuinely curious how this will elevate programs and winning to be honest. I 100 pct am glad about the upgrades and improving the tech experience massively.

I do wonder though is it more having a deep pockets partner for an NIL collective or something that legit elevates the programs ability to win.

Again love the news and stoked to see what it translates to just found the winning games part an interesting comment and somewhat out of place.
Well, the game threads will benefit from people part who are also actually at the game. Winning!

This will allow full implementation of an app that can auto generate derogatory comments about the coaching staff for discerning fans to post. Think of the time savings from that alone! This is big.

This will allow full implementation of an app that can auto generate derogatory comments about the coaching staff for discerning fans to post. Think of the time savings from that alone! This is big.

All those words will be filtered out already. Only high praise and cheerful comments with excessive compliments will make it through.

Bend the knee or get out amirite?

No way to know is this is a good deal without financial details.

If we just sold valuable naming rights for a 5g upgrade package, heads should roll.

If the $3.5 million referenced in the previous rumors is annual, this is a pretty good deal. If it's for all ten years, again a terrible deal for Syracuse University. The fact they didn't announce the details makes me think the school got boned on this deal... If you had a pile of money coming in, you'd brag about it and the guy who owns the company has a house worth more than $35 million, so he's not she about throwing around money.

In the end, I guess I'm just glad Carrier let us out of our bad deal from 1980 without us having to imitate the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles.

Maybe someone can live stream all the home games now so I don’t have to search for games only to find them blacked out. And I won’t download the YES app AGAIN thinking I can get it on there when it says I can and then it’s not there lol

No way to know is this is a good deal without financial details.

If we just sold valuable naming rights for a 5g upgrade package, heads should roll.

If the $3.5 million referenced in the previous rumors is annual, this is a pretty good deal. If it's for all ten years, again a terrible deal for Syracuse University. The fact they didn't announce the details makes me think the school got boned on this deal... If you had a pile of money coming in, you'd brag about it and the guy who owns the company has a house worth more than $35 million, so he's not she about throwing around money.

In the end, I guess I'm just glad Carrier let us out of our bad deal from 1980 without us having to imitate the Anaheim Angels of Los Angeles.
It's two separate deals according to the PS article. One for the installation and one for the naming rights.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom