Well, at least our 1st line Middies are well rested... | Syracusefan.com

Well, at least our 1st line Middies are well rested...

sulax

Walk On
C'mon, Desko/Donahue, seriously!? This is not the '90's where lax middies routinely play both offense and defense. Giving our 2nd line Middies runs in the first half to give the 1's a breather and to see if any of them have anything going is a no brainer.

However, with 8 minutes to go in the 4th quarter of a play-off game, and with our 1's having been dominant all game, our 2's having been non-existent, and after not having much possession in the 3rd or 4th quarters (so our 1's couldn't have been that tired), playing our 2nd line middies for that 2 minute wasted possession in the 4th quarter cost us the game.

Do any of you guys know who actually decides which middie line plays? I'm assuming its Donahue, because what does Desko really do during the games, except be the person in charge of time-outs? Donahue runs the offense and Rogers runs the defense, so who decides which middie line plays? Whomever it is made a big mistake. If somehow they really were that tired, then call a time-out, give them a breather, and then put the 1's in.

Our 1st line middies were fantastic, but they just didn't get enough runs in the 2nd half. What were we saving them for?!

Also, what's the story with Peter Dearth? Is he our next Jordan Evans? Desko must love the kid, and he just wants him on the field wherever he can put him (1st line middie => face-off wingman => SSDM). I know we struggled early on in the season with our our SSDMs, but since when did Dearth become one of our main SSDMs? Sorry to single him out, but his poor D led to a few costly goals, and I'm just confused why he played so much SSDM?

No shame in losing to a really solid Cornell team though, and losing to another upstate NY team takes the sting out of the loss a little bit. I'll certainly be cheering for them and Albany the rest of these playoffs. Pretty incredible how far and how quickly the ACC and historically dominant lax programs have fallen. Wow, the ACC was way overrated, again.

Lastly, looking ahead to next year, who's our goalie going to be? Besides the unknown in our goalie (which is a big deal though), we should be solid.

Entertaining season though. Have a great off-season guys, and then come back next year even better!

Last edited:
We can perhaps question officiating for not making certain calls on Cornell but there are no excuses for two blatant penalties by us or unnecessarily sliding n leaving someone on porch to score on a simple uncontested pass by Teat.. Individual talents are solid but certain pairings on every unit simply dont fit certain schemes n playing 5x5 last night required more D quickness down low. . As Desko pointed out, one would think we would have won the game looking at stats but a few mental mistakes and a few plays not made resulted in the loss. Good performances by many in this game will get lost but the future does appear bright and progress was made establishing the next core and developing the next wave. Final pt. Senior contributions varied throughout the season and critiqued right to the bitter end but be remiss not to thank them including their parents for their time and sacrifice over the years.
Drake Porter in cage.

Unless Shahe K. turns heads in Fall Ball.
Madonna had a very good year and finished with a strong game. I enjoyed watvhing him play n making the frequent spectacular stop. His pass to Ryan Simmons will always be a classic highlight. We fortunately have good talent at position to step up next year.

Thanks, guys.

I agree. Dom was great all year, and he will be missed. His save percentage will not reflect the performance that he gave us. Our swiss cheese defense let him down. I don't remember a goalie of ours ever making as many point blank saves as he made this year. Too bad to have NC quality goalies the past 2 seasons, but not have NC quality defenses to match them.

I understand the decision to shut off Teat, although I don’t like it. I used to hate it when teams did it to Mikey Powell, so I know how Cornell fans must have felt during he game. For a game of lacrosse that comes from Native Americans and such a rich history and spirit in its origin, I actually think that kind of defense cheats the game and the players. We’ve played better players than Teat in the past without having to resort to that. Especially since Mellon was our best player all year. It should have been strength vs strength. In a way it’s kind of karma that we didn’t win

Anyways, I didn’t like (but at least I understood) shutting off Teat when we see full strength. But continuing to shut him off when we were man down! I’ve never seen that, and that was just foolish. That gave their offense a huge advantage because of the amount of space our 4 defenders had to cover.

I certainly question the ethical decision to shut off Teat, but I question the strategical decision to continue to shut him off when we were man down.

We have some young great talent (especially if Staats comes to SU!), so our window for another run at the Final Four will be these next 2 seasons. Hopefully we'll have a solid goalie place for that run, and I hope our coaches make wiser decisions about who to put on the field in the future. Talent alone won't win another NC, because other teams will have as much talent as us (I predict Virginia is going to be really good- Kraus, Aitken, and Moore is a stacked 1-2-3 punch).

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom