Well, do we have a three game winning streak in us? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Well, do we have a three game winning streak in us?

not sure why anybody would think that three straight does not get us in.

9 - 9 in conference plus a tourney win should be more than sufficient.

that being said, this team struggles so much and has no margin of error so that three straight would be a monumental achievement.

Are we in danger from either one of these games from turning into quad 2 games?
I would tend to doubt it. Louisville is currently 38, and would have to drop to 76 or higher to d move to a Q2. Miami is currently 31 and would also have to drop to 76 or higher. I think we can safely say they are solid Q1 wins.

Buffalo could possibly climb back to a Q1 - they are 36 and if they win out, they could conceivably get back under 30. I don't see any other changes as likely, but UConn (103) could possibly get under 100, which would bump them from a Q3 to a Q2.

9-9 in ACC play is a bit deceiving cuz the schedule wins were heavily weighted with the bottom feeders.

I would tend to doubt it. Louisville is currently 38, and would have to drop to 76 or higher to d move to a Q2. Miami is currently 31 and would also have to drop to 76 or higher. I think we can safely say they are solid Q1 wins.

Buffalo could possibly climb back to a Q1 - they are 36 and if they win out, they could conceivably get back under 30. I don't see any other changes as likely, but UConn (103) could possibly get under 100, which would bump them from a Q3 to a Q2.
Noticed recently that the Georgetown win bounced out of the Tier 2 to Tier 3. Now ranked 148 and falling.

It's 4:55 and...

9-9 in ACC play is a bit deceiving cuz the schedule wins were heavily weighted with the bottom feeders.
How many programs had to play the #1 team in the country twice this season? Wins at Louisville (#22 Sagarin), at Miami (#31 BPI), vs. Virginia Tech (#28 BPI) and would be #15 Clemson.

Not deceiving. Although the committee claims they don't care about conference record anyway.

the three teams mentioned are all 9-7 in ACC play and not receiving any top 25 votes. thin resume.
some might say scrawny. and yes the committee claims they're moving away from rpi and metrics.

Last edited:
jncuse I know you do a lot of research and work on this stuff but if we go into the ACC tourney at 8-10 we will be in a very precarious position. It's not a matter of having to win 3 ACCT games to get to 11 wins. It's a matter of using the ACCT for a signature win. If we get that opportunity in the first 2 games of the ACCT, then maybe we'd have a shot to lose the third game. Right now, our resume doesn't have bad losses but we don't have enough Quad 1 wins. If we beat UNC or Duke, we'd be in a much better spot. I'm not sure how you can't see that.

To say that my comments are "ridiculous" and "BS" is off base. I don't agree with everything you say and your word is not gospel. My opinion is just as valid as anyone else's.

I never claimed that a signature win would not help us. I claimed that there was minimal if any real difference between two of your scenarios, and yet you felt one was solid and the other is terrible.

You said:
Scenario #1 - 2 Wins in Regular Season+ Win 1 ACC Tourney win makes us solid
My analysis- That makes us 10-10 in ACC Games, with likely no top 50 RPI win in the ACC tournament. Under that scenario there is certainly no win against Duke or UNC, no signature win of that sort.

Scenario #2 - 1 Win in Regular Season + 2 ACC tourney games, and we are cooked
My analysis - The 2nd ACC tourney game would almost certainly be a Quad 1 win. We end up playing one more ACC game in this scenario and lose to a top 15 national team on a neutral court. So we end up 10-11, with the same number of quality victories

So I respectfully ask, what is the big difference between #1 and #2 that our chances of getting in one scenario is quite good and the other is abysmal?

You are right, not getting that signature win may shaft us. I never argued against that. But it would shaft us just as equally in scenario #1 as scenario #2.

And yes my opinion on this topic is more valid than yours. Just like some of your info on other topics is more valid because it has an inside element. There are many people on this board who have more valid opinions than me in many areas. I have no problem admitting that. Some people know more things about certain topics because they have a passion for it. I have spent many years following the stuff, (for some demented reason), I use tools and analysis to make my comments. I track where we stand, and where others stand. I typically don't throw comments out there without some thought.

Should I have said your comments were BS and ridiculous. No, and I apologize for that. Could I have responded in a more respecful manner. Yes. But I also will not apologize for calling out flaws in logic.

Last edited:
I never claimed that a signature win would not help us. I claimed that there was minimal if any real difference between two of your scenarios, and yet you felt one was solid and the other is terrible.

You said:
Scenario #1 - 2 Wins in Regular Season+ Win 1 ACC Tourney win makes us solid
My analysis- That makes us 10-10 in ACC Games, with likely no top 50 RPI win in the ACC tournament. Under that scenario there is certainly no win against Duke or UNC, no signature win of that sort.

Scenario #2 - 1 Win in Regular Season + 2 ACC tourney games, and we are cooked
My analysis - The 2nd ACC tourney game would almost certainly be a Quad 1 win. We end up playing one more ACC game in this scenario and lose to a top 15 national team on a neutral court. So we end up 10-11, with the same number of quality victories

So I respectfully ask, what is the big difference between #1 and #2 that our chances of getting in one scenario is quite good and the other is abysmal?

You are right, not getting that signature win may shaft us. I never argued against that. But it would shaft us just as equally in scenario #1 as scenario #2.

And yes my opinion on this topic is more valid than yours. Just like some of your info on other topics is more valid because it has an inside element. There are many people on this board who have more valid opinions than me in many areas. I have no problem admitting that. Some people know more things about certain topics because they have a passion for it. I have spent many years following the stuff, (for some demented reason), I use tools and analysis to make my comments. I track where we stand, and where others stand. I typically don't throw comments out there without some thought.

Should I have said your comments were BS and ridiculous. No, and I apologize for that. Could I have responded in a more respecful manner. Yes. But I also will not apologize for calling out flaws in logic.

Okay, but in scenario #1 never said 3 wins in a row make us solid. I said it gives us a "solid chance but still a sweat." That's different. "Solid" on its own is pretty close to a lock.

If you're right and the second team we'd face in the ACCT would represent a Quad 1 win, than that would change things because as I said in the other post, we really need those wins.

I never said in scenario 1, our position would be "quite good." I said "solid chance with a sweat." You twisted what I said a bit or maybe misinterpreted it. I'm not ticked off at you. You apologized for what I thought was unwarranted. No big deal.

First things first, let's try to beat BC and take it from there. We need as many wins as possible and we all want as many as possible. Well, real fans do and we both are in that same category.

I don't care if another Q2 win "helps" us...let them to continue to lose every game forever (uconn)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom