Well respected musicians that you think "suck" | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Well respected musicians that you think "suck"

I've struggled with this thread, throughout. The Subject includes the word "musician". It's fine to say you don't like someone's music but the more interesting question (to me) is: Do you think they suck as musicians? E.g. Rush is a great group of musicians as are many others that are listed here as people thinking they suck.

Overrated as musicians is probably closer to what I was thinking when I posted. I've heard nothing from Clapton to indicate he's nearly as great as his reputation would suggest.

I watched Annie Lennox caterwaul her way through a Eurythmics song this morning on the Today Show or whatever it was. It was bad. Like a hound dog baying at the moon type of bad. How do you butcher your only hit?

Overrated as musicians is probably closer to what I was thinking when I posted. I've heard nothing from Clapton to indicate he's nearly as great as his reputation would suggest.

Think: John Mayall (Clapton); Yardbirds (Clapton); Cream (Clapton); Blind Faith (Clapton); Beatles (Clapton & While My Guitar Gently Weeps); Derek and the Dominoes (Clapton and & Allman outro solo in Layla); Clapton and JJ Cale (Cocaine & After Midnight); Clapton & Robert Johnson (Me and Mr Johnson); Clapton & BB King (Riding With The King); Clapton & Wynton Marsalis (Live at Lincoln Center); Alpine Valley Concert (Clapton, Stevie Ray, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray - see link) There's much more in the blues CD's he's released, and also the Crossroads concerts.

What's the common thread through all that? :)

I Shot The Sheriff, Rock and Roll Heart and Lay Down Sally: :vomit: (But heck, a guy's gotta eat).

Music Aficionado | For People Who Appreciate Great Music

He's the example I would point to as one whose musicianship many people question. I asked a friend of mine who is an excellent guitar player about Clapton. He said only that Clapton hasn't had to work on his craft for 40 years. He's made money hand over fist without really trying. I'm not a good enough judge to know if he ever demonstrated the skills that his reputation would imply.

Think: John Mayall (Clapton); Yardbirds (Clapton); Cream (Clapton); Blind Faith (Clapton); Beatles (Clapton & While My Guitar Gently Weeps); Derek and the Dominoes (Clapton and & Allman outro solo in Layla); Clapton and JJ Cale (Cocaine & After Midnight); Clapton & Robert Johnson (Me and Mr Johnson); Clapton & BB King (Riding With The King); Clapton & Wynton Marsalis (Live at Lincoln Center); Alpine Valley Concert (Clapton, Stevie Ray, Buddy Guy, Robert Cray - see link) There's much more in the blues CD's he's released, and also the Crossroads concerts.

What's the common thread through all that?

I Shot The Sheriff, Rock and Roll Heart and Lay Down Sally: :vomit: (But heck, a guy's gotta eat).

Bunch of folks with more talent than Clapton?

I have to agree with Cowtown here - while not everything Eric Clapton has done is a masterpiece, a lot of it sure is. He had a big problem with drugs, and that did not help his playing, but any guitar player will tell you that he knows his way around the fret board.
He worked very hard on his singing and as a result became a pretty good singer also.

Part of the problem with him is there is so much recorded material from him, even live. He is a lot like Jerry Garcia in that there is so much out there and it is not all great, but a lot of it is great. He is like the opposite of someone like Prince.
Derek and the Dominos live is pretty good if you like guitar solos.

I feel like I’ve seen several Mumford and Sons t-shirts when out lately. People must like them.

I have no idea why.

What's the common thread through all that? :)

Common thread. Clapton has paired up with some great musicians. Mostly, others wrote the songs he's known for.

Early on, his guitar work was very good. Gently weeps and crossroads have inspired solos...(superb) After that, I have a hard time finding any...

Someone said, "Hasn't had to work on his craft in 40 years". I'll just say, he hasn't worked on it. I hear lots of local/non professional guys on par with him. If he had managed to keep some of that initial inspiration? No way he'd be in this thread- even with not writing many of the tunes he's known for.

Black sabbath
Pink Floyd
Nirvana
Clapton
Radiohead

Nirvana and Clapton have been covered extensively in this thread. I'm with you on Radiohead, as well. "Creep" is a great song, the rest of their stuff gets a "meh." The Sabbath and Floyd choices need some exposition.

Patrice O'Neal talks about "Creep."

Pretty much any artist, group, etc from the 80’s.

Agree with Quazzum69 with the exception of Floyd, can listen to them all day. They are also my 26 yr old daughters favorite group.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom