Well respected musicians that you think "suck" | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Well respected musicians that you think "suck"

The Eagles...

My wife hates them. I'm mostly indifferent, but I must admit, that the Hotel California guitar solo's rank with some of the most memorable of all time. (Felder/Walsh)

I remember when I found out that Joe Walsh was in the Eagles. I thought I was being lied to, because his James Gang, and solo stuff, was so drastically different, and less canned. The non-pickled Joe Walsh, of course.

Last edited:
back To the 80’s...

Poison was the worst pile of musical dog crap there ever was, and I was a fan of the hair bands. Riki Rockett on drums, standing up and dancing around like a jackass, made any serious drummer just get p-o’d. Brett Michaels only real accomplishment was throwing it in Pamela Anderson.

I agree and grown men putting in their twitter bio’s how many Dave Mathews Band concerts they’ve been too. Lol

There are "twitter bios," now? Really? :rolleyes:

There are "twitter bios," now? Really? :rolleyes:
Good thing I'm not on Twitter. I guess I'd have to list how many Springsteen shows I've been to. :oops:

bands or musicians? I think Rush sucks and I think Queen sucks.

I haven’t read the entire thread but has anyone mentioned U2? They have a few decent songs but I have trouble enjoying most of their stuff. One song sounds like the rest.

I haven’t read the entire thread but has anyone mentioned U2? They have a few decent songs but I have trouble enjoying most of their stuff. One song sounds like the rest.

A poster just learned their guitar guy is named The Edge, so there's that.

Guys in their 50s don't make the same music they made in their 20s.

I liked early U2 like Boy, War and October. Joshua Tree was The Edge essentially playing one chord for 45 minutes and Bono singing different words to the same tune.

Depeche Mode. I know they're icons of the alternative/synth/new wave/electronica scene of the late eighties/nineties. If the height of their musical prowess is as bland and underwhelming as "Personal Jesus," I'd prefer to enjoy the silence.

If you don't like them, you don't like them...;-) Music is just personal taste.

And some people fold with a royal flush, or a straight flush...

Depeche Mode. I know they're icons of the alternative/synth/new wave/electronica scene of the late eighties/nineties. If the height of their musical prowess is as bland and underwhelming as "Personal Jesus," I'd prefer to enjoy the silence.

People liked them, because they were different. Doesn't seem that many bands that deviate from the norm, gain any traction, these days... Thnx for the cover post... Kind of generic, new metal(or whatever it's being called). Sounds like 100 other bands 2 me, but I at least enjoyed what they were covering. If the kiddies like it, or guys that just want metal, that's cool. Wasn't a huge fan, but I thought it had personality, 27 years ago. And I liked girls... They loved them.

People liked them, because they were different. Doesn't seem that many bands that deviate from the norm, gain any traction, these days... Thnx for the cover post... Kind of generic, new metal(or whatever it's being called). Sounds like 100 other bands 2 me, but I at least enjoyed what they were covering. If the kiddies like it, or guys that just want metal, that's cool. Wasn't a huge fan, but I thought it had personality, 27 years ago. And I liked girls... They loved them.

The two Depeche Mode songs that got radio play were different. But all of their stuff sounds like the two songs you heard on the radio or saw on MTV. The lead singer has the vocal range of a turnip. Cristina Scabia demonstrated more skill in that one cover than the D-rated Morrissey wannabee did in Depeche's entire discography.

If you don't like them, you don't like them...;-) Music is just personal taste.

And some people fold with a royal flush, or a straight flush...

Just responding to the thread title. I’ve never made it through an entire Rush song without turning it to something else. I hate them. There’s a lot of bagging on bands and musicians in this post that I love and I think area great musicians. But whatever music is a personal taste as you say. Surely not going to tell someone why they’re wrong about their musical taste or who is and who isn’t a great musician.

I’m not even sure how to react to this.

Rush is technically as solid as any band ever was, but I agree I can't stand their music. At all. Queen's volume of work was certainly smaller, but their originality and creativity is rivaled only by The Beatles. They were hurt when Top 40 radio played their stuff to death. But different strokes for different folks :)

The two Depeche Mode songs that got radio play were different. But all of their stuff sounds like the two songs you heard on the radio or saw on MTV. The lead singer has the vocal range of a turnip. Cristina Scabia demonstrated more skill in that one cover than the D-rated Morrissey wannabee did in Depeche's entire discography.
Cool you like that, band... Very generic, to me. Why there are different styles.. I liked Morrissey, too.. ;-)

Just responding to the thread title. I’ve never made it through an entire Rush song without turning it to something else. I hate them. There’s a lot of bagging on bands and musicians in this post that I love and I think area great musicians. But whatever music is a personal taste as you say. Surely not going to tell someone why they’re wrong about their musical taste or who is and who isn’t a great musician.
I think Cowtown summed up my poker hand analogy... Strictly logically, you can't find a much better hand.

I completely get the Rush dislike.. I couldn't stand his voice for ages. One of my favorite Rush memories, is a Guitar Player magazine article, that started..."EWWWW. They're so Ugly." hah. I simply can't argue with their talent. Not my fav, and although technically solid, music is not about skill, but what moves you.

Queen? Not going as far as Cowtown, and putting them 2cnd to the Beatles, but he is correct, IMO, about their creativity/originality being nearly unrivaled. If the Beatles were the top of the pyramid, Queen might find themselves on the second tier.

Generally curious. What was it about Queen you didn't like? Not gonna bust on you, either. I genuinely find a difference in opinion, interesting. ;-)

Cool you like that, band... Very generic, to me. Why there are different styles.. I liked Morrissey, too.. ;-)

To be fair, I think the genericness comes from the source material. I'll post some of their original stuff in my music thread. The Smiths were a fantastic band.

Just because a band may have members like Rush who are all great musicians, in my opinion, doesn't mean you have to like their music! I agree nobody should have to defend their opinion on music within reason lol.

Eminem. He is good at putting words together(or was), but musically he's horrendous. The voice is so bad. The delivery where he just yells everything for no good reason. Terrible. The content is terrible, from the shock value attempts, the overall corniness of most of his songs, the beats are garbage(and he makes a lot of them). He just makes horrid music.

Those "I hate rap, except for Eminem!" people...just say what you really mean.

I can’t stand Jay-Z. Never got the hype. My son and I joke that he has a way of taking a good song and making it suck. You’re listening to the first minute or so thinking, “This isn’t a bad song”, then all of a sudden , “Yeah yeah, yeah...”. What the hell just happened? It’s like you’re at a party and everyone is enjoying themselves until that one guy shows up and kills the whole vibe, making you want to leave. On a side note, I think his wife is self indulgent and very overrated. That crap at the Grammys was ridiculous.

I knew it was going to happen, but I'm glad it took 8 pages to get there.

I love Rush, but I know many, many others, including the woman I decided to spend my life with, that feel the same way about them.

I can’t stand Jay-Z. Never got the hype. My son and I joke that he has a way of taking a good song and making it suck. You’re listening to the first minute or so thinking, “This isn’t a bad song”, then all of a sudden , “Yeah yeah, yeah...”. What the hell just happened? It’s like you’re at a party and everyone is enjoying themselves until that one guy shows up and kills the whole vibe, making you want to leave. On a side note, I think his wife is self indulgent and very overrated. That crap at the Grammys was ridiculous.

Jay-Z has stolen more lyrics than Carlos Mencia did jokes.

I think Cowtown summed up my poker hand analogy... Strictly logically, you can't find a much better hand.

I completely get the Rush dislike.. I couldn't stand his voice for ages. One of my favorite Rush memories, is a Guitar Player magazine article, that started..."EWWWW. They're so Ugly." hah. I simply can't argue with their talent. Not my fav, and although technically solid, music is not about skill, but what moves you.

Queen? Not going as far as Cowtown, and putting them 2cnd to the Beatles, but he is correct, IMO, about their creativity/originality being nearly unrivaled. If the Beatles were the top of the pyramid, Queen might find themselves on the second tier.

Generally curious. What was it about Queen you didn't like? Not gonna bust on you, either. I genuinely find a difference in opinion, interesting. ;-)
I've struggled with this thread, throughout. The Subject includes the word "musician". It's fine to say you don't like someone's music but the more interesting question (to me) is: Do you think they suck as musicians? E.g. Rush is a great group of musicians as are many others that are listed here as people thinking they suck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom