Well respected musicians that you think "suck"

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by RandomGuy, Nov 15, 2017.

1. RandomGuy

RandomGuy 2nd String

The Eagles...

My wife hates them. I'm mostly indifferent, but I must admit, that the Hotel California guitar solo's rank with some of the most memorable of all time. (Felder/Walsh)

I remember when I found out that Joe Walsh was in the Eagles. I thought I was being lied to, because his James Gang, and solo stuff, was so drastically different, and less canned. The non-pickled Joe Walsh, of course.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    JoeCollege likes this.
  2. lummgr

lummgr Starter

back To the 80’s...

Poison was the worst pile of musical dog crap there ever was, and I was a fan of the hair bands. Riki Rockett on drums, standing up and dancing around like a jackass, made any serious drummer just get p-o’d. Brett Michaels only real accomplishment was throwing it in Pamela Anderson.

3. Cowtown

Cowtown Resident Frostback Interface

There are "twitter bios," now? Really? :rolleyes:

4. orange79

orange79 Internet Sleuth Staff Member

Good thing I'm not on Twitter. I guess I'd have to list how many Springsteen shows I've been to. :oops:

5. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

bands or musicians? I think Rush sucks and I think Queen sucks.

6. ScrabbCuse

ScrabbCuse Walk On

I haven’t read the entire thread but has anyone mentioned U2? They have a few decent songs but I have trouble enjoying most of their stuff. One song sounds like the rest.

cliftonparksufan likes this.
  7. lummgr

lummgr Starter

I’m not even sure how to react to this.

MiniCuse likes this.
  8. Bayside44

Bayside44 Moderator Staff Member

A poster just learned their guitar guy is named The Edge, so there's that.

Guys in their 50s don't make the same music they made in their 20s.

MiniCuse and orange79 like this.
  9. cuseincincy

cuseincincy All Conference

I liked early U2 like Boy, War and October. Joshua Tree was The Edge essentially playing one chord for 45 minutes and Bono singing different words to the same tune.

ScrabbCuse likes this.
  10. MiniCuse

MiniCuse All Conference

Depeche Mode. I know they're icons of the alternative/synth/new wave/electronica scene of the late eighties/nineties. If the height of their musical prowess is as bland and underwhelming as "Personal Jesus," I'd prefer to enjoy the silence.

11. Capt. Tuttle

Capt. Tuttle Living Legend

With 2 thumbs up

12. RandomGuy

RandomGuy 2nd String

If you don't like them, you don't like them...;-) Music is just personal taste.

And some people fold with a royal flush, or a straight flush...

13. RandomGuy

RandomGuy 2nd String

People liked them, because they were different. Doesn't seem that many bands that deviate from the norm, gain any traction, these days... Thnx for the cover post... Kind of generic, new metal(or whatever it's being called). Sounds like 100 other bands 2 me, but I at least enjoyed what they were covering. If the kiddies like it, or guys that just want metal, that's cool. Wasn't a huge fan, but I thought it had personality, 27 years ago. And I liked girls... They loved them.

14. MiniCuse

MiniCuse All Conference

The two Depeche Mode songs that got radio play were different. But all of their stuff sounds like the two songs you heard on the radio or saw on MTV. The lead singer has the vocal range of a turnip. Cristina Scabia demonstrated more skill in that one cover than the D-rated Morrissey wannabee did in Depeche's entire discography.

15. PhatOrange

PhatOrange Living Legend

Just responding to the thread title. I’ve never made it through an entire Rush song without turning it to something else. I hate them. There’s a lot of bagging on bands and musicians in this post that I love and I think area great musicians. But whatever music is a personal taste as you say. Surely not going to tell someone why they’re wrong about their musical taste or who is and who isn’t a great musician.

JoeCollege likes this.
  16. Cowtown

Cowtown Resident Frostback Interface

Rush is technically as solid as any band ever was, but I agree I can't stand their music. At all. Queen's volume of work was certainly smaller, but their originality and creativity is rivaled only by The Beatles. They were hurt when Top 40 radio played their stuff to death. But different strokes for different folks :)

17. RandomGuy

RandomGuy 2nd String

Cool you like that, band... Very generic, to me. Why there are different styles.. I liked Morrissey, too.. ;-)

18. RandomGuy

RandomGuy 2nd String

I think Cowtown summed up my poker hand analogy... Strictly logically, you can't find a much better hand.

I completely get the Rush dislike.. I couldn't stand his voice for ages. One of my favorite Rush memories, is a Guitar Player magazine article, that started..."EWWWW. They're so Ugly." hah. I simply can't argue with their talent. Not my fav, and although technically solid, music is not about skill, but what moves you.

Queen? Not going as far as Cowtown, and putting them 2cnd to the Beatles, but he is correct, IMO, about their creativity/originality being nearly unrivaled. If the Beatles were the top of the pyramid, Queen might find themselves on the second tier.

Generally curious. What was it about Queen you didn't like? Not gonna bust on you, either. I genuinely find a difference in opinion, interesting. ;-)

19. MiniCuse

MiniCuse All Conference

To be fair, I think the genericness comes from the source material. I'll post some of their original stuff in my music thread. The Smiths were a fantastic band.