What’s the plan to replace Edwards and Girard? | Syracusefan.com

What’s the plan to replace Edwards and Girard?

I think Taylor can do a very good job of replacing JG3. Defensively and passing he will already be an upgrade. He probably will be a better scorer than Joe going to the basket. His shot will not be as good as Joe but it still looks very good so far this year

As for Jesse that is an issue.

I think Taylor can do a very good job of replacing JG3. Defensively and passing he will already be an upgrade. He probably will be a better scorer than Joe going to the basket. His shot will not be as good as Joe but it still looks very good so far this year

As for Jesse that is an issue.
He can shoot and he’s solid on defense. To expect him to replace Girard's production next year is going to lead to another mediocre season.

You can't. Hopefully Taylor continues to develop but not reasonable to expect full replacement of O production. With Jesse, it's a lot more concerning. Hima is a spot guy 5-10'. Carey TBD, but definitely far away from being productive at this level not to mention healthy.

If Jesse departs, which legitimately could happen if he wants to start earning money, then we absolutely have to find a portal replacement. I think the selling point would be guaranteed starting role, and joining a veteran team that is poised to make a big jump next year.

I agree but he can't not not bring in a single recruit for a recruiting cycle, so he will. I also really believe a Benny or Bell will transfer out and we could aim for a forward transfer too
I assume we will reach out to Starling. I think he’s been mostly a disappointment this year, but he fits the type of guys we go after in the portal. I also think JB will talk himself into being fine with Hima at center which I think is a losing strategy, but we always struggle to get bigs to come here.

I assume we will reach out to Starling. I think he’s been mostly a disappointment this year, but he fits the type of guys we go after in the portal. I also think JB will talk himself into being fine with Hima at center which I think is a losing strategy, but we always struggle to get bigs to come here.

Do I have to point out the obvious to all y’all?

JAB gonna JAB and play Brown (or Benny, assuming he stays) at the 5.

See also: Rico, Marek, Jimmy III.

you know how Boeheim do. :rolleyes:

Do we know for sure that Jesse / Joe aren't coming back?
I think there's a chance Joe comes back, but not Jesse. Sounds like we were lucky Jesse returned this year.

I think there's a chance Joe comes back, but not Jesse. Sounds like we were lucky Jesse returned this year.

I could definitely see him leaving -- in no way am I disputing that point. But on the other hand, he's having a much better year this year than last, so maybe him returning to continue to hone his NBA draft prospects might be alluring [he also might be having more fun, as a function of having more on-court success than last year].

Also, we'll be returning an experienced nucleus that could have a big jump next year in overall team performance [which might also be a compelling reason to return].

Last edited:
I could definitely see him leaving -- in no way am I disputing that point. But on the other hand, he's having a much better year this year than last, so maybe him returning to continue to hone his NBA draft prospects might be alluring.
I hear you. He's come a long way, but he still has a ways to go to have a shot in the NBA. He really struggles offensively against NBA-level athletes.

I hear you. He's come a long way, but he still has a ways to go to have a shot in the NBA. He really struggles offensively against NBA-level athletes.
Him staying another year won't improve those odds. He's approaching the ceiling on his potential and that means he would be advised to start earning money.

Agreed -- because he's not strong enough. While he's made gains physically, another year could help remediate that. Most of the other tools are there. He's nifty around the hoop, he's close to being a double-digit rebounder, and he's an elite shot blocker.

Jesse needs to spend the off season in the weight room and not going home. That may seem harsh, but he hasn’t ever really dedicated himself to getting stronger. Working out, without direct supervision and with a trainer, is not going to see positive results.

The NBA for any player is a whole new ball game in terms of skill level, physicality, extended season, etc. Jesse is a finesse player who has some athleticism and limited offensive options, but is going to be matched against much more physical opponents night in and night out in the NBA.

A GM might take a chance a see how he might develop in the G league, but he'll only have a couple of years to prove himself.

We are gonna hit the portal hard for a legit center. Go hard after a SF/PF wing player. I think we are able to convince Bethea to go 2023. I think Benny transfers after this season so I think next year is looking like:

PG-Mintz
SG-Taylor
SF-Bell
PF-Brown
C-Legit center Transfer (likely a junior to help balance classes)

Rotation:
Bethea-SG/PG
Copeland-PG/SG/SF
Transfer-SF/PF (likely a junior to help balance classes)
Hima-C
Carey-PF/C

We are gonna hit the portal hard for a legit center. Go hard after a SF/PF wing player. I think we are able to convince Bethea to go 2023. I think Benny transfers after this season so I think next year is looking like:

PG-Mintz
SG-Taylor
SF-Bell
PF-Brown

Rotation:
Bethea-SG/PG
Copeland-PG/SG/SF
Hima-C
Carey-PF/C
No concern about Mintz leaving like some have insinuated?

PG-Mintz
SG-Taylor
SF-Bell
PF-Brown

Rotation:
Bethea-SG/PG
Copeland-PG/SG/SF
Hima-C
Carey-PF/C
Do you think there is any chance Jesse uses his COVID year? I know dasher brought up that it was a possibility months ago. Curious if you’ve heard anything.

PG-Mintz
SG-Taylor
SF-Bell
PF-Brown

Rotation:
Bethea-SG/PG
Copeland-PG/SG/SF
Hima-C
Carey-PF/C
I'd sign up for that. What about Marcus Adams in '23?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom