What’s the plan to replace Edwards and Girard? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What’s the plan to replace Edwards and Girard?

I don’t think he said he would replace his production. Others, Bell and Brown, will increase theirs. Jesse is the issue.
We can't go into next season with Hima as the starting center or try to play a forward there if we want to make the tournament.

Joe is going to be a bigger loss than people believe. He runs the pick and roll better than anyone on the team and is really the only one capable of carrying us offensively when we hit droughts.

Starling’s perimeter shooting has been awful. Putting him and Judah in the same backcourt could be a big problem. With Moore and possibly others, I would pass on Starling.
That's why I said ... "with shooters like Bell and Taylor on the floor." Both Starling and Judah are very good at putting the ball on the floor and penetrating to either score or kick the ball out to shooters. Both will demand a lot of attention and depending on if they get double or single coverage, they can score easier or find an open shooter. As scorers, both Judah and Starling will not have to be long range shooters but will need a short jumper, floater or be able to finish at the basket. With that backcourt, it allows each player to play to their individual strengths.

That's why I said ... "with shooters like Bell and Taylor on the floor." Both Starling and Judah are very good at putting the ball on the floor and penetrating to either score or kick the ball out to shooters. Both will demand a lot of attention and depending on if they get double or single coverage, they can score easier or find an open shooter. As scorers, both Judah and Starling will not have to be long range shooters but will need a short jumper, floater or be able to finish at the basket. With that backcourt, it allows each player to play to their individual strengths.
Starling has been bad this season. All 4 freshmen that have played for us have been better. I don’t see how he helps us improve at all. Even when Joe was struggling early in his career he was better than JJ.

With Brey retiring, Starling might want to leave ND. He and Judah in the backcourt is something I'd love to see with shooters like Bell and Taylor on the floor.

Hope it's not just a dream.
I hope you’re not saying those four should be on the floor at the same time. We would never get a rebound.

God, I would love to see Jesse and Joe come back for their covid year.

I was hard on Joe during his slump and don't like his apparent lack of effort on D sometimes, but man, when he wants to bring it in a game, he really can. It is fun to watch him abuse taller, more athletic, and otherwise solid defenders with his repertoire of YMCA 40+ Hi-IQ play.

I hope you’re not saying those four should be on the floor at the same time. We would never get a rebound.
You can play all 4 at the same time if the opponent is running a 3 guard lineup which is common these days. It wouldn't work against a traditional lineup. There's enough minutes up top to split between three guards.

Starling’s perimeter shooting has been awful. Putting him and Judah in the same backcourt could be a big problem. With Moore and possibly others, I would pass on Starling.
People are recruited over all the time. You don't look at a roster two years from now, you go one year at a time. Plug in for 2023 and worry about 2024 when you get there. You don't pass on someone who can play right now over someone who may not even commit.

Based on recent years and how players move ... I expect Joe, Jesse, Mintz, and Benny to move on.

Hima is a backup and will always be a backup. He's Keita. Useful, but not the main dish. Maliq needs to develop an in game jumper to be a key piece, and JT just needs more experience. Not sure what else happens, but this roster will definitely need help. This could be a really interesting offseason. Lots of moving parts.

People are recruited over all the time. You don't look at a roster two years from now, you go one year at a time. Plug in for 2023 and worry about 2024 when you get there. You don't pass on someone who can play right now over someone who may not even commit.
The issue for me is JJ is not as good as Justin Taylor for us next season. People want to think he is because of high school basketball rankings.

If Jesse comes back we can be a Top 25 team. Love Hima and Carey but we're not a Top 25 team with them...next year. It will be tough to replace Joe's offensive production, but the group of sophomores Judah, Quadir and JT is strong. Less offense but more defense. Add Sy for depth and it's very solid. If Sy leaves too, hopefully we portal another guard.

The issue for me is JJ is not as good as Justin Taylor for us next season. People want to think he is because of high school basketball rankings.
Taylor can play the 2 or the 3. Starling is better than Copeland now. Torrence will also have graduated. Copeland may develop to be a solid contributor in time, but he is very much a WIP. Given that there are zero 2023 commitments, SU will have to take in what it can from the portal. If JJ Starling enters, they have to gauge his temperature towards coming home.

I assume that there will be some communication because it would be an easy recruitment. There's a lot of work that's been put into it previously. I'm 50-50 that JAB even comes back next season. I know that he probably will, but this season feels like he could legitimately hang 'em up. This last home game with jersey retirements, seniors leaving, and the 2003 reunion just seems like a good-bye.

I assume that there will be some communication because it would be an easy recruitment. There's a lot of work that's been put into it previously. I'm 50-50 that JAB even comes back next season. I know that he probably will, but this season feels like he could legitimately hang 'em up. This last home game with jersey retirements, seniors leaving, and the 2003 reunion just seems like a good-bye.
I thought that to until Weitsman decided to throw money around. Now I’m not so sure.

If Jesse comes back we can be a Top 25 team. Love Hima and Carey but we're not a Top 25 team with them...next year. It will be tough to replace Joe's offensive production, but the group of sophomores Judah, Quadir and JT is strong. Less offense but more defense. Add Sy for depth and it's very solid. If Sy leaves too, hopefully we portal another guard.
We're not even close to a top-25 this season with Jesse and Joe. They need a big-time talent infusion not mucking around at the margins.

I still dont think that Judah will leave next year. Not in NBA mock drafts anymore.

I still dont think that Judah will leave next year. Not in NBA mock drafts anymore.
He was always a two year player at minimum and there's nothing wrong with that. The only place where there was heavy one and done talk was this board after his first few games. Not having a consistent jump shot is his flaw as you need to be able to shoot at a 35-40% clip as a guard in today's NBA.

He was always a two year player at minimum and there's nothing wrong with that. The only place where there was heavy one and done talk was this board after his first few games. Not having a consistent jump shot is his flaw as you need to be able to shoot at a 35-40% clip as a guard in today's NBA.
A poster who does have connections has stated that Judah is gone after this season and has already informed the staff - how reliable this is, I don't know. But players leave all of the time for options other than a guaranteed first round pick in the NBA draft. Every year about 200 players declare, which only has about 60 selections and a dozen or so are usually foreign players.

We're not even close to a top-25 this season with Jesse and Joe. They need a big-time talent infusion not mucking around at the margins.
I think the young guys will make a huge leap in the off-season. The improvement from November to now has been huge. They just played a Top 25 team and a team previously ranked #1 tight and should have won both games. I don't see why Cuse couldn't be ranked in the 20s at some point next year if Jesse comes back and we don't get gutted by transfers.

A poster who does have connections has stated that Judah is gone after this season and has already informed the staff - how reliable this is, I don't know. But players leave all of the time for options other than a guaranteed first round pick in the NBA draft. Every year about 200 players declare, which only has about 60 selections and a dozen or so are usually foreign players.
That would be very unfortunate. He'd be a force here next year. We'll need a ball-dominant alpha transfer. If we lose these freshmen it makes this year feel somewhat like a waste, and I would hope we focus on transfers going forward.

If he leaves for the pros, then good luck to him. This rush to get a check can kneecap his career in the long-term.

I agree, and though I like the thought of Judah and JJ playing together, there's a good chance that Judah won't return so JJ would end up being a replacement.

This rush to get a check can kneecap his career in the long-term.

I think the young guys will make a huge leap in the off-season. The improvement from November to now has been huge. They just played a Top 25 team and a team previously ranked #1 tight and should have won both games. I don't see why Cuse couldn't be ranked in the 20s at some point next year if Jesse comes back and we don't get gutted by transfers.

Based on your join dates, you're both relatively new to the site, so welcome. But you can do a search for older posts on this kind of thing. This is not the first time it's been discussed. There's hope and there's expectation. We can hope but our recent history, the last 10 or so seasons, really sets the expectation.

Based on your join dates, you're both relatively new to the site, so welcome. But you can do a search for older posts on this kind of thing. This is not the first time it's been discussed. There's hope and there's expectation. We can hope but our recent history, the last 10 or so seasons, really sets the expectation.
I know all about it -- I've been a Cuse fan my whole life despite having only started posting here recently. I have hope for this team every year, but my expectations are now increasing too. I think our young guys are very solid and strike me as a group that could mostly stick together, and with Adam's spending spree I think we could be good again soon.

Join date =/= what I know or what I've followed. I also went to SU, so I keep close tabs on this sort of thing. I personally know someone who was on the basketball staff when Malachi was there and how they tried to convince him to stay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom