What about Moyer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What about Moyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
He looks winded after a couple minutes and really labors getting up and down the court. Has to get in a lot better shape going forward and I mean a lot
That is my impression too. For the most part all of our guys play fast and quick and he hasn't in my viewing demonstrated that. May be his body type and partly hope it is or else our S&C and Moyer himself have some explaining to do.

It's only four games, but he hasn't looked good and I'm being nice about it. He lacks awareness on both ends of the floor. On the offensive end, he doesn't give you anything at the moment. Defensively, he gets caught out of position too often for the zone to work. Skill wise, he can't handle the ball in any capacity which is a bit concerning. He also looks really out of shape. After his first game, posters here thought it may have been the padding under his jersey, but he's just a bit pudgy. There are big fans of his here for how positive he stayed during his redshirt year, but I have to ask, what was accomplished during that year off? He looks raw and takes minutes away from Dolezaj who's made it a mission to contribute from day one.

I view MM as being Tyler Robersion 2.0. A guy who won't likely ever avg 15pts a night, but someone who can play good D, get rebounds and always provide energy.

Still giving him the benefit of the doubt...

It took Rak and many others up to 3 years to get past having to perform in short periods of time while being under constant threat of Boeheim's hook. One would have to believe he will improve at something, or show it in real games, at some point.

Ironically, though, I didn't see anything fantastic about his high school tapes (Top 100-wise), beyond some kind of enthusiatic energy, and being about 6'7".

Still not sure about Coach's token starter method, but it does telegraph something to us.

And Marek's a monkey wrench that possibly even Boeheim didn't fully see.

Last edited:
Watching him play, he looks very awkward on the court. Kid can rebound with athleticism alone, but he seems like a very awkward ball player by the way he moves. Great enthusiasm and high energy guy, but there are times I wonder how he's on the floor.

Watching him play, he looks very awkward on the court. Kid can rebound with athleticism alone, but he seems like a very awkward ball player by the way he moves. Great enthusiasm and high energy guy, but there are times I wonder how he's on the floor.

If I had an edit button, I would have mentioned this. He's very uncoordinated out there.

Still giving him the benefit of the doubt...

It took Rak and many others up to 3 years to get past having to perform in short periods of time while being under constant threat of Boeheim's hook. One would have to believe he will improve at something, or show it in real games, at some point.

Ironically, though, I didn't see anything fantastic about his high school tapes (Top 100-wise), beyond some kind of enthusiatic energy, and being about 6'7".

Still not sure about Coach's token starter method, but it does telegraph something to us.

And Marek's a monkey wrench that possibly even Boeheim didn't fully see.

Rak always seemed to give something on the defensive end.

It's odd to me that people consider BMK a 4 year contributor but Rak as a 1 year.

My expectation is that Moyer is going to be a token starter this year, and that Dolezaj is going to see exponentially more floor time. Next year, it will be more of the same -- he'll provide deep depth, but not see much PT due to Bazley and the others being ahead of him in the rotation.

As a junior, the log jam will clear out and he'll have a quality two years as a starter. He'll be under the radar coming into that year, and open eyes as a very good player for us at that point.

I think the fanbase is a down a little too hard on Moyer right now. Much like Chukwu, he has a lot of ring rust that needs to be knocked off. It isn't going to happen overnight.

My expectation is that Moyer is going to be a token starter this year, and that Dolezaj is going to see exponentially more floor time. Next year, it will be more of the same -- he'll provide deep depth, but not see much PT due to Bazley and the others being ahead of him in the rotation.

As a junior, the log jam will clear out and he'll have a quality two years as a starter. He'll be under the radar coming into that year, and open eyes as a very good player for us at that point.

I think the fanbase is a down a little too hard on Moyer right now. Much like Chukwu, he has a lot of ring rust that needs to be knocked off. It isn't going to happen overnight.

Moyer may not play much with all next season with Marek, Brisset and Bazley at the forward spots.

Will be interesting how it plays out.

Moyer may not play much with all next season with Marek, Brisset and Bazley at the forward spots.

Will be interesting how it plays out.
I agree, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Curious how the forward minutes will play out. It's a luxury we have three great players for two spots. Will they average 27 minutes a piece??

I agree, I've been thinking about this a lot lately. Curious how the forward minutes will play out. It's a luxury we have three great players for two spots. Will they average 27 minutes a piece??

Hughes could end up getting some time at the 3 as well, maybe not a lot but with Howard and Carey also looking at big minutes and reports of Hughes being amazing he's going to have to play somewhere.

I don't know about that. Roberts was a really good athlete who was lean and agile. I don't really see that in Moyer.

(Terrible video quality, but it's the best I saw)

Vroom Vroom!

I don't know about that. Roberts was a really good athlete who was lean and agile. I don't really see that in Moyer.

(Terrible video quality, but it's the best I saw)
As were Rak and Robey. I think a less skilled Ryan Blackwell may be his ceiling off what is admittedly a very, very limited sample size.

As were Rak and Robey. I think a less skilled Ryan Blackwell may be his ceiling off what is admittedly a very, very limited sample size.
Blackwell is who I thought of too. Maybe even a less athletic luke Jackson

He'll be under the radar coming into that year, and open eyes as a very good player for us at that point.

"As a junior, the log jam will clear out and he'll have a quality two years as a starter." Are we going to stop recruiting talented forwards?

I'm in his corner and see value in the years to come. A banger off the bench is never a bad thing.

upload_2017-11-22_11-8-37.jpeg

"As a junior, the log jam will clear out and he'll have a quality two years as a starter." Are we going to stop recruiting talented forwards?

No, but Demetris Nichols did nothing for two years either and he was a top 50 player.

So what we are saying is JB has found his 7 1/2 man rotation again.

With Carey, Hughes, Baz and Buddy next year and presumably only Battle leaving, it'll be intriguing how things shake out next year. Maybe someone else leaves but I'm not seeing it right now.

Whoever offered the Kristof Ongeneat comp deserves an award on here. That's exactly what I'm seeing.

And that's cool, as long as the kid stays happy. There's always a role for a guy like that on a team. Maybe not with a lot of minutes this year or next, but at some point he'll see the floor and contribute.

there are going to be more than enough games where we have centers in FTrouble and have to figure out who moves to the middle and he may be it as likely the next physical player we have. if a Forward gets in trouble we try to go small with the 3 guards but not what what we do if we have 2 guys get in trouble and against bigger teams its bound to happen.

No, but he'll be an upperclassman who will be in position to start for our team. '

If we recruit over him, more power to JB. But Moyer isn't a slouch, and his time will eventually come.

I will chime in here although I am hesitant to do so.

First off, I've been a huge Moyer supporter. I've met the kid, interviewed him a few times and kept in touch with him since then. He comes from a great family (his mom is really very personable and I've gotten to know her as well) and he's a quality individual, not that that is breaking news. The reason I mention all of that is to put my comments into context. I'm biased.

Matt worked his ass off this past off-season. I think most players do, sure, but he really did. He got in better shape. He spent a ton of time in the weight room and trying to get his shot up to snuff. That said, I agree with some of the comments above that he looks like he gets tired pretty quickly and could probably be in better basketball shape. He definitely looks like he's playing in quicksand at times. I don't know if there something going on off the court that is distracting him but something doesn't look right with his demeanor and body language. He played with such passion in high school and now he just looks...out of it.

I think he also puts a lot of pressure on himself. He's waited forever to play in real games for this team and now they're here and he's struggling. I expected more from him and I'm sure JB and the staff did. I don't think he's starting just to start him. Regardless, he has provided no offense and that's not going to work. As Francis said on his pod, Matt looks like he's trying so hard to be a perimeter guy, he's forgotten who he is. Matt could make jumpers in high school but he's a slasher. He needs to do his damage inside and be the lunch pail guy. Take the ball strong to the rack and draw fouls. Hit the offensive glass. Set up a teammate off the bounce.

Matt played against very good competition in the NEPSAC his last year so to say he dominated bad competition is wrong. His detractors (some whom are in this thread) are looking accurate right now. That said, it's only 4 games. He did have a 10 rebound game and he's had his moments. I just hope he gets a few shots to fall and does some positive things because when this kid is right, he can help us this year. And contrary to popular belief, we will need him this year. We can play Tyus some at the 3 (as we have done already and a lineup I've been a proponent of) but having three 6'8" forwards in the rotation really is important. Plus, Marek gets called for a lot of touch fouls. Marek could wind up in foul trouble unless he figures out NCAA officiating.

I think Moyer will contribute this year and have his moments but he just has to turn it on. The folks who are making fun of him for playing the violin are lame. And none of his hype was because of his humanitarian qualities. Some of us lauded him for those things, sure. There's a difference.

Let's also not forget that he was a late bloomer. He didn't really show up on anyone's radar until his sophomore year due to a growth sport and then a major uptick in his play his junior year really made people take notice. That's why he wasn't that highly-rated. Matt isn't some blue chip athlete who was known in the 8th grade. But he was plenty athletic enough to succeed in the NEPSAC, which is as big time as any prep league.

Moyer has a fan here no matter what he does but in the end he has to perform. I just hope he gets it together soon or he won't play much this year and then obviously will have a tough time stealing minutes from Baz next year. Either way, Matt will still bleed Orange.

Great post iommi. My son has been in contact with Moyer for a couple years (odd connection in that a neighbor's kid plays hockey at the same prep) and has always been very cool via Snap...

I think many on here are confusing what 2-3 is saying, and maybe we need to step back to that for a second. The vids he referenced quite often show us what the player wants us to see, so it's possible the competition shown in some of those videos wasn't the best. It was just the days when he showed the best. That's all I wanted to say on that.

Hopefully Matt figures everything out quickly and gets it going in a positive direction again. It will be great for the team, and him as well obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom