What about Moyer | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What about Moyer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great post iommi. My son has been in contact with Moyer for a couple years (odd connection in that a neighbor's kid plays hockey at the same prep) and has always been very cool via Snap...

I think many on here are confusing what 2-3 is saying, and maybe we need to step back to that for a second. The vids he referenced quite often show us what the player wants us to see, so it's possible the competition shown in some of those videos wasn't the best. It was just the days when he showed the best. That's all I wanted to say on that.

Hopefully Matt figures everything out quickly and gets it going in a positive direction again. It will be great for the team, and him as well obviously.

Two3 is really good at evaluating talent. I respect his opionion. Highlight videos are always skewed but again, he played his last year in the NEPSAC. I think it’s fair to question his comp before that.

I’m concerned too. But I don’t buy that we screwed up our talent evaluation. He does look very out of whack and overwhelmed.

Maybe he should’ve worn the headband? ;)

I will chime in here although I am hesitant to do so.

First off, I've been a huge Moyer supporter. I've met the kid, interviewed him a few times and kept in touch with him since then. He comes from a great family (his mom is really very personable and I've gotten to know her as well) and he's a quality individual, not that that is breaking news. The reason I mention all of that is to put my comments into context. I'm biased.

Matt worked his ass off this past off-season. I think most players do, sure, but he really did. He got in better shape. He spent a ton of time in the weight room and trying to get his shot up to snuff. That said, I agree with some of the comments above that he looks like he gets tired pretty quickly and could probably be in better basketball shape. He definitely looks like he's playing in quicksand at times. I don't know if there something going on off the court that is distracting him but something doesn't look right with his demeanor and body language. He played with such passion in high school and now he just looks...out of it.

I think he also puts a lot of pressure on himself. He's waited forever to play in real games for this team and now they're here and he's struggling. I expected more from him and I'm sure JB and the staff did. I don't think he's starting just to start him. Regardless, he has provided no offense and that's not going to work. As Francis said on his pod, Matt looks like he's trying so hard to be a perimeter guy, he's forgotten who he is. Matt could make jumpers in high school but he's a slasher. He needs to do his damage inside and be the lunch pail guy. Take the ball strong to the rack and draw fouls. Hit the offensive glass. Set up a teammate off the bounce.

Matt played against very good competition in the NEPSAC his last year so to say he dominated bad competition is wrong. His detractors (some whom are in this thread) are looking accurate right now. That said, it's only 4 games. He did have a 10 rebound game and he's had his moments. I just hope he gets a few shots to fall and does some positive things because when this kid is right, he can help us this year. And contrary to popular belief, we will need him this year. We can play Tyus some at the 3 (as we have done already and a lineup I've been a proponent of) but having three 6'8" forwards in the rotation really is important. Plus, Marek gets called for a lot of touch fouls. Marek could wind up in foul trouble unless he figures out NCAA officiating.

I think Moyer will contribute this year and have his moments but he just has to turn it on. The folks who are making fun of him for playing the violin are lame. And none of his hype was because of his humanitarian qualities. Some of us lauded him for those things, sure. There's a difference.

Let's also not forget that he was a late bloomer. He didn't really show up on anyone's radar until his sophomore year due to a growth sport and then a major uptick in his play his junior year really made people take notice. That's why he wasn't that highly-rated. Matt isn't some blue chip athlete who was known in the 8th grade. But he was plenty athletic enough to succeed in the NEPSAC, which is as big time as any prep league.

Moyer has a fan here no matter what he does but in the end he has to perform. I just hope he gets it together soon or he won't play much this year and then obviously will have a tough time stealing minutes from Baz next year. Either way, Matt will still bleed Orange.
Awesomesauce.
MM was my 'pre-favorite' player coming in. I'm sad for him, in that i have a lot of respect for his character, and recognize that he's not getting the results he's capable of. I agree with most of the (reasonable) comments about his body. From the few high school clips i saw, i thought he was going to be a lean, rangy, Grant Hill type of player. He's now bulkier and not as quick as i imagined he'd be. I don't know if that's a function of a growth spurt or new eating habits, or an intentional move toward bulking up to play PF. I trust he's going to figure out how to play with whichever body he ends up with. He's just got to go through the 'growing pains' to get there. I still see him trying to do things that maybe he got away with against lesser competition, and/or when he was more lithe/quick/nimble. But, at this level, those moves turn into mistakes. But, we have seen Chukwu looking quite awful in recent memory, and he made considerable strides, seemingly, by simply consolidating his movements and activity, and gaining confidence from the dearth of mistakes.

Yeah, violin detractors are lame. Playing violin and big time basketball is a statement of character.

Awesomesauce.
MM was my 'pre-favorite' player coming in. I'm sad for him, in that i have a lot of respect for his character, and recognize that he's not getting the results he's capable of. I agree with most of the (reasonable) comments about his body. From the few high school clips i saw, i thought he was going to be a lean, rangy, Grant Hill type of player. He's now bulkier and not as quick as i imagined he'd be. I don't know if that's a function of a growth spurt or new eating habits, or an intentional move toward bulking up to play PF. I trust he's going to figure out how to play with whichever body he ends up with. He's just got to go through the 'growing pains' to get there. I still see him trying to do things that maybe he got away with against lesser competition, and/or when he was more lithe/quick/nimble. But, at this level, those moves turn into mistakes. But, we have seen Chukwu looking quite awful in recent memory, and he made considerable strides, seemingly, by simply consolidating his movements and activity, and gaining confidence from the dearth of mistakes.

Yeah, violin detractors are lame. Playing violin and big time basketball is a statement of character.

He is caught in between. Offensively, he's trying to handle and shoot like a 3 but his body type is more like a 4. Problem is he's a bit undersized for the 4. As others have said, he might be 6-7. There's nothing better than watching him dunk on someone with a scowl on his face but he seems to not be in that mode right now.

I'm going to try to just watch this play out. It's too early to write him off but I'm really concerned.

What about Moyer? The man has arrived. Nice to see everybody step up without Battle. Frank is a legit #2 scoring option, Oshae is a legit 2b. Thorpe looks healthy. Oh, and Marek is 3rd on the depth chart at center. Its going to be an interesting and exciting year. LGO!

Moyer earned his minutes tonight. JB decided to win the game at the rim and used a more physical line up. 11 and 7 for MM plus a steal and an assist. 3 dunks down the stretch.

Moyer earned his minutes tonight. JB decided to win the game at the rim and used a more physical line up. 11 and 7 for MM plus a steal and an assist. 3 dunks down the stretch.
Hewill fight thru a lot good forhim

I don't know about that. Roberts was a really good athlete who was lean and agile. I don't really see that in Moyer.

(Terrible video quality, but it's the best I saw)

Umm so maybe he actually is sneaky athletic? Whoops.

I like the energy Moyer brought on rebounds. He was very energetic under the basket. I have to believe he's been a little frustrated the last four games so that last dunk must have felt amazingly good. Good for him. I'm really glad he had a good game. Good for him!!!!

I like the energy Moyer brought on rebounds. He was very energetic under the basket. I have to believe he's been a little frustrated the last four games so that last dunk must have felt amazingly good. Good for him. I'm really glad he had a good game. Good for him!!!!

I also liked spotting Marek looking happy for Matt and patting him on the shoulder a couple times. They're competing for playing time, so that was very nice to see. This team seems like it has much better chemistry this year.

I also liked spotting Marek looking happy for Matt and patting him on the shoulder a couple times. They're competing for playing time, so that was very nice to see. This team seems like it has much better chemistry this year.
It must have been hard last year to have 2 grad transfers effectively take over the team. We needed them, but it didn’t help the younger players. This year we have only 1 grad transfer and he is not dominant because of injury. So, Frank and Battle are co-captains and it seems the younger players are responding well to this. At one point in the second half, one of our players fell down and the other 4 went to help him up. I wish someone had a picture of it, because that could be the symbol of our team this year!

It must have been hard last year to have 2 grad transfers effectively take over the team. We needed them, but it didn’t help the younger players. This year we have only 1 grad transfer and he is not dominant because of injury. So, Frank and Battle are co-captains and it seems the younger players are responding well to this. At one point in the second half, one of our players fell down and the other 4 went to help him up. I wish someone had a picture of it, because that could be the symbol of our team this year!
Good post beadle.
Last year we didn't have a team. We had a group of individuals that sometimes played together.
As valuable in some ways that White and Gillon were, they were not Syracuse players in the truest sense and it made for an awkward situation that didn't help cohesiveness.
This year the difference in how the team works together is very obvious. It's such a pleasure to see them working hard to be the best they can be.

Good post. It was Frank that went down. He slid into the photographers behind the basket.

Playing him isn't worth sitting dolezaj. If he had one intangible marek didn't have, but he doesn't. And I don't mean this to be harsh on Moyer it's more a testament to Marek.
I think JB will continue to start him for confidence reasons, but he will not get starters minutes. JB has done this numerous times in the past. I think it is a good move. I think Moyer just needs time. He is basically a freshmen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom