What changes could college basketball incorporate to help offense? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

What changes could college basketball incorporate to help offense?

Call fouls when big guys get body-slammed when going to the hoop, thus stopping that defensive practice and making it possible for their shots to go in.

Defense is not standing still, being in someone's way.
A defender is entitled to his space if he's established guarding position. I think a no-call is probably the best way to handle it inside the charge circle in those circumstances. To call a foul on a defender just because he's standing there with his hands up seems like something the liberal left would come up with.

40 inch rims.

|---------------------------------------- 40 " --------------------------------------------------|
poolshot-rim.gif

A defender is entitled to his space if he's established guarding position. I think a no-call is probably the best way to handle it inside the charge circle in those circumstances. To call a foul on a defender just because he's standing there with his hands up seems like something the liberal left would come up with.
standing still, with your arms at your side, is not a guarding position.

- Work with the NBA to keep kids in school a minimum of 2 years. You can leave after two years if you're picked in the top 10 or 15 or somesuch. NBA has to agree not to allow kids to be drafted who have not fulfilled scholarly responsibilities, or who have been in violation of recruiting rules.
- No zone.
- Better/more consistent foul calls, re: handchecking, picksetting, etc.

That's it. Quality follows players. Keep better players in school longer and let them develop more and the entire product is bettered.

shorten the shot clock more
clone that Loyola Marymount guy from way back when

Seems to me there was a Cuse team that came within a hair of averaging 100 PPG for an entire season way back when.

EDIT - Yup, i double checked, the 1965 team averaged 99 per game with Fred Lewis as coach. That team featured Dave Bing and a skinny guard with glasses who never amounted to much.

Last edited:
Nobody can be in the paint unless the ball is in the paint.

Legitimate question:

It used to be the case that contact was a foul. After all, basketball's a non-contact sport.

At some point the criterion changed from contact to advantage/disadvantage.

That's insane. Refs can't get simple stuff right and now they're supposed to be making subjective analyses on the fly?

Simplify things. Contact is a foul. Players will learn real fast. Teams will score points. Refs will be able to focus on more complicated things. Everyone wins.

Bill Russell: "Basketball is a contact sport. Football is a collision sport."

1550003793445.png

Your cousin took a charge in a pickup game? Was he wearing a Battier jersey?

I know a guy who was proudly talking about how he plays “physical defense”. This moron plays at the Y and he’s talking like he’s Rick Mahorn. Like it’s real playoff basketball that matters, and not just a fun way to not be a lazy fat ass.

I’ve made fun of him for that ever since.

They could start by calling fouls. When a guy impedes, holds or hits another guy, it's a foul. If he's trying to shoot, it's in the act of shooting, not if he takes an extra step or two and then gets off his shot. (I'm a no-continuation purist. That's an NBA rule.)

All these complicated interpretations of how a charge or a block or an illegal screen should be called are all hooey.

Common sense. We knew the difference between a block and a charge on the playground when we were kids. It's no different now.

You need to be in position first, not sliding in. You have to have your defensive position before the guy starts his shot.

If you undercut a guy who has already begun his motion, that's a block, whether you get your feet set or not, because the shooter is entitled to land.

Let's return to common sense officiating, and that will do most of what we need.
A foul is when you do something to gain an advantage. Drawing a charge is trying to gain an advantage. Blocking a players advance is trying to gain an advantage. So brushing by a defender that really doesn't affect the play is not a foul on either player. Basketball is NOT a noncontact sport. Players will bump into each other without trying to gain an advantage.

I know a guy who was proudly talking about how he plays “physical defense”. This moron plays at the Y and he’s talking like he’s Rick Mahorn. Like it’s real playoff basketball that matters, and not just a fun way to not be a lazy fat ass.

I have said for 40 years, guys that can't play basketball say they play good defense. They can see that they suck on offense.

Cooperate with the NBA to create a rule similar to baseball that allows kids to go pro straight out of high school or commit for a certain number of years to college.

Teams will have more experience and better offense as a result.

My last iteration of playing hoops on a regular basis ended when a guy lost his front due to some guy trying to "D" up 25' from the basket. I just subbed out and left.

My last iteration of playing hoops on a regular basis ended when a guy lost his front due to some guy trying to "D" up 25' from the basket. I just subbed out and left.

SMH. Some of these goofs swear they’re really doing something out there too.

Would we be having this conversation if SU was playing like it did in the OT win @ Duke? I agree a more run 'n gun type of game is fun for the fans, but it's not realistic for every team to play that way. I think in college, teams need a few more seconds to get into an offensive set (Syracuse offense not withstanding.)

I do think like mentioned above, consistently calling hand-checking or the block/foul really affects game-flow.

Yes, and candidly...I don't really watch college basketball outside of SU (which I still watch every single game at least once)...in part because IMO (and it's just MO) the quality of play and pace of play and consistency in how games are called just isn't that good. Not in the run 'n gun camp, but something needs to change. A combination of fixing the one and done rule and the offense issues would go a long way.

And bringing back the old Big East. ;) . (and yes...I know why the ACC is a better deal, blah, blah, blah...so all the pile-on folks don't need to chime in on my comment)

44cuse

Yes, and candidly...I don't really watch college basketball outside of SU (which I still watch every single game at least once)...in part because IMO (and it's just MO) the quality of play and pace of play and consistency in how games are called just isn't that good. Not in the run 'n gun camp, but something needs to change. A combination of fixing the one and done rule and the offense issues would go a long way.

And bringing back the old Big East. ;) . (and yes...I know why the ACC is a better deal, blah, blah, blah...so all the pile-on folks don't need to chime in on my comment)

44cuse
This is how I feel. I used to care about non-SU college hoops games as the sport just has passion and energy in the arena but the quality is so poor now.
I also think college basketball coaches aren’t good at their jobs they don’t coach their teams to take advantage of mismatches and continue to taking advantage of them.
They are egotistical men who jump up and down and act like mad men. I give JB credit he is a professional and doesn’t overreact. He will get his points across without being an annoying coach.

Reduce defensive lane violation to 5 seconds.

Defensive players must be making a play on the ball (ie, arms must be away from the body) to get a charge call while the offensive player is making a play towards the basket.

When inbounding the ball from the offensive baseline, you cannot throw the ball in the back court.

8 seconds to get the ball past half court

Enforce hand checking

Ted Valentine and John Higgins aren’t allowed to referee games shown on TV

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors