What constitutes a Syracuse hoops legend? | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

What constitutes a Syracuse hoops legend?

stone567 said:
And look at the FG%, Pearl was a ridiculous 53%. Different eras. Pearl was one of the best players in the country for two of his three years (and he was a phenom his freshman year). You cannot say that about GMac.

And gmac shot 35% from 3.

Basic math..,35x3= 105 points per 100 shots

Pearls 53%...53x2= 106 points per 100 shots.

Advantage...push.

That is your opinion and that is rational and perfectly sound. A lot of people who disagree with everything I say agreed with you so that made me laugh.
I don't think GMac is a legend in my book. He is a great player and somebody who gave us everything he had for 4 years. We can agree to disagree he had a lot of great moments. I personally have a threshold like the baseball HOF I feel legends are the creme de la creme. I feel GMac is just below that.
Don Mattingly is a Yankee legend.

Vinnie Cohen belongs on that list, the first great team, would have been better if Jim Brown played his senior year.

My Syracuse Legends

Bing, Pearl, Coleman, GMAC, Melo, Louie & Bouie (as a pair not individually) & Sherm. In my view those guys are the ones whose names will endure for a variety of reasons including ability, results, personality, and fan appeal. These guys are known to everyone the real basketball fans as well as the casual observer and their fame transcends (or will transcend) generations.

The next level of guys in my view:

Moten, Owens, Wallace, Warrick. These guys are program greats, that will always be considered program greats by real basketball fans, but may not be as well remembered among the casual fans, especially as time marches on.

There are many other great players, but I think they blend in with everyone else and don't really have that quality that keeps their name in the forefront of the minds of the entire fanbase.
I put Moten, Owens and Wallace over Louis & Bouie and GMac.

I'm starting to think Gerry kicked your dog once.
I just think that Gerry was a great player, but has obtained some iconic status among fans that he did not merit. He was just not one of the all time greats, and is just not in the class of Bing, Pearl, Coleman, Sherm, Moten, Owens, Wallace, Carmelo, among others. Fans have this love affair because he was a hard worker,and he made the absolute most of his talent. But, Cuse has had so many more talented players that are overlooked.

no words.
Did you watch him his senior year??? He made so many bad shots in so many big games, it was ridiculous. We only go into the tournament that year because he got ridiculously hot in the BET. Other than that, we were an NIT team.

I just think that Gerry was a great player, but has obtained some iconic status among fans that he did not merit. He was just not one of the all time greats, and is just not in the class of Bing, Pearl, Coleman, Sherm, Moten, Owens, Wallace, Carmelo, among others. Fans have this love affair because he was a hard worker,and he made the absolute most of his talent. But, Cuse has had so many more talented players that are overlooked.
The problem with your reasoning is that fans' love affair with a player that makes him iconic is a big part of the definition of a legend.

But saying he's attained iconic status is literally what being a LEGEND is. He's a Syracuse icon. Was he the player Bing, or Pearl, or DC, or Sherm, or Moten, or Wallace, or Owens, or Carmelo, or Hakim were, to name a few? No. But again - that's not the only thing that goes into becoming a legend.

Put it another way: no one (outside of misguided Jets fans) will ever put Joe Namath among the best QBs of all-time, but he's absolutely a legend. Same thing here.

stone567 said:

He hit more game winning shots that any player in the program's history. This is a stone cold fact.

He left school in the top ten all time NCAA in 3pointers made. Set records for career 3s in the conference and career FT pct.

How that doesn't qualify for legend is funny. You have quite an opinion.

But saying he's attained iconic status is literally what being a LEGEND is. He's a Syracuse icon. Was he the player Bing, or Pearl, or DC, or Sherm, or Moten, or Wallace, or Owens, or Carmelo, or Hakim were, to name a few? No. But again - that's not the only thing that goes into becoming a legend.

Put it another way: no one (outside of misguided Jets fans) will ever put Joe Namath among the best QBs of all-time, but he's absolutely a legend. Same thing here.
Exactly. IMO same thing applies to Don Mattingly.

Did you watch him his senior year??? He made so many bad shots in so many big games, it was ridiculous. We only go into the tournament that year because he got ridiculously hot in the BET. Other than that, we were an NIT team.

Yes. Other than Gmac doing everything over four days short of literally dragging us to the NCAA tourney, we would absolutely be a NIT team.

i can remember big John Thompson saying that with all the talent we had on that 80's team Stevie Thompson was the player he feared.

Considering in 05-06 I lived in the complex on Small road next to GMac and Gorman I can say they were very low key neighbors. I can say after reading the definitions of legends I can concede GMac is a legend to the fanbase.
I appreciate his heart and he had more buzzer beaters than anybody I can remember. However if Gmac is a legend then Hak Warrick is as well.

To say that GMac accomplished more than Pearl at Syracuse is absolutely the most ludicrous thing I have ever heard. Pearl was a two time All-American. How many times was GMac on the All-American teams???? You obviously did not see Pearl play. Comparing the points per game is not fair, considering there was no three point play when Pearl played. and GMac was a three point shooter. Make those adjustments and talk to me. And as for the Big East Tournament (for the little it is worth), are you really to compare the competition that Pearl played against to what GMac did??? Pearl won most valuable player in a losing effort, which is amazing in and of itself. GMac's best year was his freshman year.

Actually, you are incorrect. In the second half of the title game, Kansas adjusted to shut down Gerry. Carmelo was hurt. It was Pace and Edelin who kept us in the lead the second half.
First, I saw Pearl his whole career. Second, Gerry hurt his hand when he hit it on a tv monitor in the first half. Pearl would have had a total of 1 3 pt shot in his career at Syracuse. The half court shot against B.C. The Big East touranament meant a lot. Winning is why you play the games. Pearl had a lot of sizzle. Gerry was a winner. My point is not to knock Pearl. My point is that the 4th leading scorer in Syracuse history is a slam dunk as a legend

Exactly. IMO same thing applies to Don Mattingly.
I am a Red Sox fan and can say if Mattingly's back doesn't give out he likely makes the HOF. Mattingly won an MVP and was the best hitter. GMac was only the best player in 2005-06 and he didn't play at an All-American level. I don't see GMac as Mattingly injuries didn't derail his career.

GMAc is like the definition of "legend". He's the Micky mantle of SU hoops.

I am a Red Sox fan and can say if Mattingly's back doesn't give out he likely makes the HOF. Mattingly won an MVP and was the best hitter. GMac was only the best player in 2005-06 and he didn't play at an All-American level. I don't see GMac as Mattingly injuries didn't derail his career.
My point was Mattingly's legend goes way beyond his numbers as does GMac's. He is one of the most beloved Yankees and only played in one playoff series which was lost. Numbers aren't the only reason one becomes a legend.

Gerry is an absolutely a Syracuse legend. That said I'd take Eric Devendorf over him as strictly a player.

Lore, love, the following Gmac had does add to the legend, no doubt about it.

Wait - you don't think GMac made us better his senior year? I know a certain Hall of Fame coach who would adamantly disagree with you on that:

This never gets old and I love TRob trying as hard as he could to keep a straight face.